GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How often to change spark plugs/coilpacks Stage 2+?

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
So my car has been APR Stage 1 from 35K to 117K. I would replace spark plugs and coilpacks on the recommended timeline when I was stage 1.
I am now Stage 2+ from 117k to 125,XXX, and I noticed that my car feels a little off when I idle as of recent, noticed this issue about 7 days ago. I want to sort out this idle issue at the simple levels first, and then if needed go more in depth.

Do I need to be replacing the spark plugs/coilpacks at a much quicker rate when I am Stage 2+? I am using APR's HPFP as well as APR's downpipe as my supporting hardware for Stage 2+.
The last time I have changed the spark plugs and coilpacks was 22k miles ago, July of 2017. Spark plugs are OEM and the coilpacks are the R8 coilpacks. Also just to add that this car is in NY, the weather has been changing from 10 degrees to 50 degrees randomly, so I am wondering if that could be an issue because the car definitely hates cold weather, compared to spring time. The PCV was also replaced 22k miles ago when the coilpacks and spark plugs were replaced, so again just want to start at the basic parts that can cause a rough idle and see if they need to be replaced.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

carbonduc27

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4dr Stage2
It would be worth it to pull one or two and see what it looks like. I am not great at "reading a spark plug" but it tells you alot based on color and if the gap has changed.

Many people go one plug colder with a stage 2+ (i did) but since you are in the cold anyway that may make it worse.

My spark issues were solved when i switch back to stock coil packs. The R8 ones I got didnt seem to sit correctly and I would get misfires. If you have the stockers still it would be worth a swap.

Good luck

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the tip, will take a look at the spark plug. I am not getting any misfires though, just a rough idle every 15-20 seconds for about a second. Will try to get to full boost a few times today to see if I can experience a misfire.

Chumeta

Passed Driver's Ed
Hola desde España, cuidado con las bobinas R8 !! ,aunque no den fallos en ocasiones fallan. Y otras veces dan otros fallos relacionados con otras cosas como, mariposa admision etc...sin relacion alguna con las bobinas. Al final funcionan mejor las negras oem .

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Chumeta! Google translate helped with that, but yes I will most likely switch back to OEM black coilpacks. I am also looking to get the valves cleaned, as they must be gunked up badly!