GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me locate my leak (IMG's posted)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Based on what others posted about the kit (it works), seems like exactly what you need. The vacuum pump leaking is pretty common. I didn't know about the repair kit so I replaced mine when the leak developed on my car around 60Kmi.

I did a video about another product that required removal and replacement of the pump. You may want to take a peek at it if you intend to do the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSJRMvmPDI&t=46s

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I used a similar kit, although it's a bit early to say if it still leaks or not I am not sure it will work with your pump revision. You have a H revision while the kit is marketed for the E revision (much more prone to leaking than the H). I would drop a mail at RKX before.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I used a similar kit, although it's a bit early to say if it still leaks or not I am not sure it will work with your pump revision. You have a H revision while the kit is marketed for the E revision (much more prone to leaking than the H). I would drop a mail at RKX before.

The kits will do both styles of vacuum pump, they now have updated kit for the both style of pumps with lifetime warranty. Of course the kit will not take care of a worn out vacuum pump.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Not sure if these pump can really wear, they are composed of about three parts and full of oil (or at least I would not see a connection with the leaks). But resealing them is not as straight forward as RKX show on their video. Getting the surface clean, especially inside the groove is difficult on a pump that has lived. Also I would not recommend using a razor blade as they show because it doesn't work well and it might scratch the metal. I used 2000 sandpaper instead. Getting the pump out was quite difficult and getting it in is twice as difficult if you don't remove the battery and battery cover. Also there is not torque specified for the cover screws, I used 15Nm, not sure if it's enough.

All in all, factoring the time it took to clean everything, resealing it, purchasing the gaskets and the uncertainty about whether it will seal or not, I am not sure I would go down this route again especially since you can buy new ones from China for 50$.

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Pumps can get so scored that they do not provide the vacuum that they did when new. Replacing the Vacuum pump restored power brake function and it was not because of O-ring leaking issues. Resealing is not that hard to do if you are using the proper tools for the job, thats what parts washer are for.

VesslanGTI

Car(s)
08 GTi
hey fellas, speaking of leaks, im not sure how to explain but i think i got small vacum leak, when my car is downshifting from 2 to 1st gear theres small idle and engine revs and rpm jumps like from 600 to 1100 which is really annoying, how can i test if i have any air leak or any kind of leak in general ?

I got Apr stage 2+, apr downpipe, milltek r32 catback, cai, hpfp, uni IC, discharge and charge pipes, few more things but my car doesn't feel fast like it should.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Not sure if these pump can really wear, they are composed of about three parts and full of oil (or at least I would not see a connection with the leaks). But resealing them is not as straight forward as RKX show on their video. Getting the surface clean, especially inside the groove is difficult on a pump that has lived. Also I would not recommend using a razor blade as they show because it doesn't work well and it might scratch the metal. I used 2000 sandpaper instead. Getting the pump out was quite difficult and getting it in is twice as difficult if you don't remove the battery and battery cover. Also there is not torque specified for the cover screws, I used 15Nm, not sure if it's enough.

All in all, factoring the time it took to clean everything, resealing it, purchasing the gaskets and the uncertainty about whether it will seal or not, I am not sure I would go down this route again especially since you can buy new ones from China for 50$.

After replacing the seal its still leaking.. The RKXTech kit says FSI are you sure it will not fit? 06-08.5

I am on a budget so a $29 Kit with better seals would be nice.

Other wise I can buy a new pump quite cheap on ebay.

Hows this one? (Canadian dollars)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-VW-Volk...c53d4cd:g:IYoAAOSwBD9Zk9-d:rk:10:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
After replacing the seal its still leaking.. The RKXTech kit says FSI are you sure it will not fit? 06-08.5

I am on a budget so a $29 Kit with better seals would be nice.

Other wise I can buy a new pump quite cheap on ebay.

Hows this one? (Canadian dollars)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/For-VW-Volk...c53d4cd:g:IYoAAOSwBD9Zk9-d:rk:10:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Which seal did you replace and where is it leaking from now? The link posted above #3 is for the FSI so that would be the one to order if you go that route.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Which seal did you replace and where is it leaking from now? The link posted above #3 is for the FSI so that would be the one to order if you go that route.

The smallest seal in the middle, I bought an OEM one from VW it was only a few dollars.

Id assume my leak is from the larger seal, though ill just play it safe and replace the whole pump as its quite inexpensive.

If it would happen to leak again in the future, then I would upgrade the seals.