GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV GTI w/DM K04+ vs Honda S2000 w/unknown mods

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
On the way home...through town I noticed the S2k looming just behind through a few lights. There are two lanes leading out of town and I got the feeling he was going to attempt taking me in the upcoming S-curves. But clogged traffic, side-by-side didn't allow any freedom for us. After we got through the s-curves though, there was a break in one lane. He was just behind me and antsy to get going. So I held my arm out of my window and did a wave forward to signal..."let's go"! He obliged and the distance between us just got farther and farther until there was, I'd say, 12 or more car lengths between us. I tapped the brakes to signal being done...and at least he didn't do the ol' Honda fly-by. He pulled up and said "nice car" and I said thanks. He said "I always liked the GTI" and I said "well you got a nice S2k. We had to get in position to merge into one lane and that was all.

I expected the outcome, but you never know when someone is that eager :thumbsup:

socalhatch

Don't panic it's organic
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Nice I've drove a few s2ks not very fast straight line but very fun to drive. I'd love to have one as a daily

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I bet...very low COG. Prolly why he was hoping for a clear S-curve ;)
But it was clogged with the usual two idiots running side-by-side traveling below the speed limit. ←Never can figure those ones.
I love flashing my yellow inner beams when I find myself behind those: Please, no flames...the eyelids have been gone for 4 years+

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Good kill. I drove my buddy's immaculate, low- miles AP1 s2k back to back with my gti when it was Stage 2+ and while the S2K was fun, I much preferred the raw muscle of the tuned 2.0T over the S2K's motor. While the two cars felt similarly quick, it took a lot more work to go fast in the Honda. Fun car, but I preferred the GTI.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
My buddy with an AP1 S2K admits that he could drive faster in my car vs. his. This is after we sat in his car and went for a ride, and then in mine and went for a ride.

The S2K has very minimal body roll and is great in the corners, but that motor is so weak.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Good kill. I drove my buddy's immaculate, low- miles AP1 s2k back to back with my gti when it was Stage 2+ and while the S2K was fun, I much preferred the raw muscle of the tuned 2.0T over the S2K's motor. While the two cars felt similarly quick, it took a lot more work to go fast in the Honda. Fun car, but I preferred the GTI.

My buddy with an AP1 S2K admits that he could drive faster in my car vs. his. This is after we sat in his car and went for a ride, and then in mine and went for a ride.

The S2K has very minimal body roll and is great in the corners, but that motor is so weak.
:thumbsup:

kal-el

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
The S2K is one heck of a car. Glad I know someone that lets me drive it if I ask. It's tough going from the GTI to it though. Completely different driving style; you always have to have the revs high. Rule of thumb is always be down a gear of what you'd normally be in the GTI. Maybe even 2.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
NA S2Ks are slower than a modded out K03 even when driven properly. I've driven an AP2 and the HANDLING and pedals, shifter, steering are excellent. Performance in the "S-curves" will depend on driver skill and how far they want to push.

Perpetuus

Data Encryption
I wouldn't say it's weak at all. Just need to be in the right gear. We are all just used to the torque in our cars.

S2K needs force induction to be fast, but the stock rear end was not designed for it.

Handling is great, no doubt. Even the K20 and K24 Si handles great.

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
I kid you not on just my street and the street adjacent to mine there are no less than three turbo S2000s thus I always assume they are as fast as balls. I guess like all Honda's you never know if its a 14 second dog or a 10 second Honda with a street wheel/tire package.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Nearly the same here. It's likely a 50:50 chance one is turbo'd.

kal-el

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
NA S2Ks are slower than a modded out K03 even when driven properly. I've driven an AP2 and the HANDLING and pedals, shifter, steering are excellent. Performance in the "S-curves" will depend on driver skill and how far they want to push.

So you're saying a modified GTI with forced induction and running higher boost is faster than a stock (I assume you mean stock because you didn't say otherwise) naturally aspirated S2K? Is that really a fair argument? But yeah handling and the like are all phenomenal. It's quite the driver's car.

S2K needs force induction to be fast, but the stock rear end was not designed for it.

Handling is great, no doubt. Even the K20 and K24 Si handles great.

I'm not sure on this but I think you can run something like 350-400 whp and not worry about the rear.

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5 S
I wouldn't say it's weak at all. Just need to be in the right gear. We are all just used to the torque in our cars.

yeah, hondas are oversquare engines and are very peaky. Makes for a lot of fun taching them out and bouncing them off the limiter, but not so much that nice lower end grunt.