GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the best bike carrying option?

Atts

Whassup?!
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone else has their car set up to carry their push bikes? If so I was wondering what the best (& least fuggly) option is for my 3 door? I'm after something easy to remove as I want to enjoy the car minus roof racks etc when they are not needed.

Any photos and thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

benno

AU section: 1 man band
Mate if you have a towbar, a Gripsport rack is the ONLY way to go. Look him up on google.

I've used several different incarnations of those webbing-bound clusterfucks that sit on your cars arse end and wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. Roof racks are QUICKER to get on and off the car and provide a much more secure mount for your bike and usually prevent them belting your car.

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
X2 - gripsport, or a ute.
I'd personally check out roofracks if you're carting light bikes.
I doubt I could lift my dual suspension bike over my head if I tried!
And even then I'm likely to drop it and have the pedals eat me (and my paint) alive

Grip is great.
I had him powdercoat a 4x mountain bike frame for me once.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Thule is the way to go.....[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Dingah
:w00t:

Attachments

• Bike Rack 2008 November-4.jpg
    Bike Rack 2008 November-4.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 3,083
  • Bike Rack 2008 November-31.jpg
    Bike Rack 2008 November-31.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,229
  • Bike Rack 2008 November-37.jpg
    Bike Rack 2008 November-37.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 3,096
  • Bike Rack 2008 November-27.jpg
    Bike Rack 2008 November-27.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 3,243

saad

Go Kart Champion
I need a towbar, as roof racks are just ugly always on. How much would one cost, as i dont wanna put my bike inside the car!

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Roof Rack City in Philip can provide and fit at significantly lesser cost than OEM.

Dingah

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
I'd just get another ute or something to chuck them in the back, or if it's light roadbike then on the roof is good.

Fair bit of stuffing around putting them in the car or taking the rack off when you're not using it and also look ugly.

Otherwise I'd get a towbar and a good quality rack that holds 3 bikes.

fbruxel

stig's brother
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
harden up and ride wherever you are currently taking your bike to! ;)

I chose to transport my bikes inside the car - backseats down, front wheel off... my neighbour has a Polo GTI and has nice roofracks which he uses all the time, but whenever we go for a mountain bike ride I tried to stay away from his car as it scares me to see how high it becomes and how close it gets to tree branches and stuff..

he also purposefully leaves the remote control for his garage @ home when he has a bike in the roof, because he forgets he has them.

I would like to have roofracks but mainly for transporting surfboards - it's a bitch to have it inside and accross, and cannot fit a mini-mal at all in the golf - but I don't like the look of them to have on all the time and plus they cost quite a bit of $ with the bike accessories and stuff...

Not a fan of the towbar ones, again it feels as though your bikes will be jammed from behind by some idiot...

1st choice: inside the car - free, protected
2nd choice: roof racks - looks good, but expensive and looks crap when you don't have bikes / boards on them and increases fuel consumption apparently
3rd choice: towbar thing - yuck

Atts

Whassup?!
Thanks guys, have a very light road bike and have previously had roof racks fitted on my old cars and loved the convenience and ease of removing bikes. I just haven't seen a good set up for a GTI yet. The Thule option looks really practical but looks cumbersome to remove (correct me if wrong Dingha). Also how much is that set up and does anything need to be done to the car?

I have seen in car clamps by Thule (take the front wheel off) however not sure if there is enough clearance in the back.

Cheers

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
harden up and ride wherever you are currently taking your bike to! ;)

I was going to say that, but only if you live within reasonable distance and if it was for a road bike (some mountain bike trails are ages away and would be a waste of time riding there on a heavy MTB).

I chose to transport my bikes inside the car - backseats down, front wheel off...

Thats pretty easy as well for road bikes but you could still knock the interior around if you're careless.

Thanks guys, have a very light road bike and have previously had roof racks fitted on my old cars and loved the convenience and ease of removing bikes. I just haven't seen a good set up for a GTI yet. The Thule option looks really practical but looks cumbersome to remove (correct me if wrong Dingha). Also how much is that set up and does anything need to be done to the car?

I'd go a rooftop for light road bikes, pretty quick to get the bike off but i'd leave the roof racks on all the time. There would be a few types around i would have thought..

Atts

Whassup?!
LOL, agree fellas and normally ride it everywhere. Take the bike up to the country a fair bit and having a good set up is handy for crit race days.

Schnitzel Baby

Bright shirt, dull mind
Car(s)
Golf MK5 GTi
I agree with fbruxel. I've had roof racks, towbar mounts and those folding strap on ones on various cars. Now I just take the wheels off and put it in the back of the car on a throw rug. One of the many advantages of a hatchback.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Aside from the 'look-at-me' pseudo bike wankers who love have their beloved bikes on rood racks if only to go down the shops and God know there are plenty of those around Canberra and Washington alike, if you are wishing to transport your bike I assume it is for a fair distance and not done regualrly. The Thule is great for trips where the inside of the car has humans and gear in it leaving the only option as external. Not being a fan of roof racks this is the option. It is EXTREMELY cleverly designed, fully loomed and lit, simple is secure and lockable and allows one handed operation to tilt down for rear car access and it not nearly as clumsy as t looks - that probably arises from its robust construction. And hey if someone hits it = new bike on the insurance. It's a great concept go down and take a look.

Cheers,

Dingah

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
I dont have racks but it's a cleaner look with a euro bike on top of a euro car. not just family bashers going to the park..

Hardening up and riding there is the best, or in the hatch as felipe said.

Sounds like it serves your purpose though, everyone's different, whatever suits...

I wouldnt be happy with a tow bar showing the rest of the time..