GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My MKV GTI build thread

wizzo

Ready to race!
Haha sounds interesting, and i get your point! It's nice to see some different GTI builds, every other thread is a slammed gti :D

Im looking forward to more pics and must admit i LOVE your wheels man!

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
A few weeks ago I committed to going to the next Circuit Club track day at Wakefield Park on the Queen's B'day. I thought I had plenty of time to get my set-up right but as you might have read over the past week it's been a tight squeeze as things have gone wrong. Despite still having issues (the rear wheels are scrubbing on both sides), as well as the horrible weather today I decided to go.

I left late at about 9.30AM (most guys were meeting up at 5-6AM to get there at 8AM but that just ain't my kinda style!) and it was non-stop rain on the highway all the way to Goulburn. I thought about turning around half way as there's really not much point to tracking a front wheel drive car in the rain, but I forged on and when I got there the "dry line" that a few guys had earlier in the day was gone, and it was raining and miserably cold.

Narada and the boys hooked me up with a gold armband though, that special arm band let me go in any class on the day (A, being fastest and D being the slowest) at any time. I ended up doing only 2 sessions, one in with D, and one with the boys in B.

The first session out was wet, and the GTI surprisingly oversteery! I think the -2 degrees camber in the rear has made the car more fun, shame that has to change though as it scrubs really bad back there.

2nd session out I had Rob in the car, and we were quite surprised at how quick the GTI is. I could easily overtake an S2000, RX8, WRX and even an Exige on the straight.

I wasn't at all going for a time though as the track was slippery and I was paranoid about damaging the rear guards any more than I already have.

Traffic on the way home was bonkers too. 60km/hr all the way from Picton to the M5 tunnel! I stopped off at McDonalds, chuffed down a Big Mac meal and now I'm home. Ultimately, despite all the dramas... I still had fun!

Pic from last time at Eastern Creek when I also had -2 on 225 wide R888's. This rubber was so hot it burnt the paint.

It was rubbing so bad and chunks of rubber were forming again so I just took it easy today.

Magic gold arm band.

The Advan guys were representing and launching the Neova Cup Challenge.

I'll book in for another rear wheel alignment next week and shoot for -2.5 and see how that goes.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
A few weeks ago I committed to going to the next Circuit Club track day at Wakefield Park on the Queen's B'day. I thought I had plenty of time to get my set-up right but as you might have read over the past week it's been a tight squeeze as things have gone wrong. Despite still having issues (the rear wheels are scrubbing on both sides), as well as the horrible weather today I decided to go.

I left late at about 9.30AM (most guys were meeting up at 5-6AM to get there at 8AM but that just ain't my kinda style!) and it was non-stop rain on the highway all the way to Goulburn. I thought about turning around half way as there's really not much point to tracking a front wheel drive car in the rain, but I forged on and when I got there the "dry line" that a few guys had earlier in the day was gone, and it was raining and miserably cold.

Narada and the boys hooked me up with a gold armband though, that special arm band let me go in any class on the day (A, being fastest and D being the slowest) at any time. I ended up doing only 2 sessions, one in with D, and one with the boys in B.

The first session out was wet, and the GTI surprisingly oversteery! I think the -2 degrees camber in the rear has made the car more fun, shame that has to change though as it scrubs really bad back there.

2nd session out I had Rob in the car, and we were quite surprised at how quick the GTI is. I could easily overtake an S2000, RX8, WRX and even an Exige on the straight.

I wasn't at all going for a time though as the track was slippery and I was paranoid about damaging the rear guards any more than I already have.

Traffic on the way home was bonkers too. 60km/hr all the way from Picton to the M5 tunnel! I stopped off at McDonalds, chuffed down a Big Mac meal and now I'm home. Ultimately, despite all the dramas... I still had fun!

I'll book in for another rear wheel alignment next week and shoot for -2.5 and see how that goes.

Car looks nice, although the tire rubbing and damage were predictable given the wheels/tires are sticking out so much, even with tighter springs these cars lean quite a bit when pushed. If you have spacers I'd take em out and get tires away from the fenders.

Rear camber at factory setting works well, depending on track, front at -2.0 to -2.5 usually gets car to stick well.

jahhhleks

Ready to race!
Car(s)
06 gti
nice car looks good!

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Suga's beautiful, my car's meant to be ugly :)

Just rattled off a few pics of the pins:

Finally twisted Dedy's arm enough to get him to install my AeroCatch bonnet pins. A very fussy job in comparison to more conventional bonnet pins as the bonnet surface isn't completely flat and you've got to cut the shape out of the bonnet (as opposed to simply drilling a hole in it). Perfect job though (as expected from Dedy and team at Top One Auto).

Justin Fox

Ready to race!
Cheers bhmkv. maotsetung. no idea on that spoiler.

Some more pics from today:

Stephen, Christina and I shared something in common today, nothing to do! And despite the on again off again weather we scoped out google maps for a shoot location. The wind and rain just made it all the more challenging, that and I forgot to bring my tripod but hey, it was fun :)