GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Auto

xionn

Hello all,
I have a 2006 MKV GTI with an OEM head unit. I am looking to replace it and have enjoyed reading all the threads here. I am curious if anyone is aware of an Android Auto head unit that would fit... or of any Android 5.x head units?

I found this 3015MO Unit and this 3015EN.

Both claims Android 5.1.1

I noticed several threads on XDA talking about skinned units to make them look more modern than they are.

I guess what I am really asking is what is the best choice as most threads are a few years old. Should I be looking at Android head units or something else?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I would wait just a little longer. The name brands should be releasing android head units soon.

xionn

Yea pioneer is releasing their gen 2 (aka second year) of Android Auto head units. Very expensive list prices. On the flip side is there any cheap head unit you would recommendations? Lots of threads but nothing definitive.

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
I found this one. Don't think it's been released yet but it looks way better than any of the pioneer units. It's a fraction of the price of pioneer because it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles those units do. But if you're only going to be using it with Android Auto or Carplay, your phone is doing all of the work and you don't need all that crap anyway. The only problem with it as far as I can tell is that you can't customize the color of the LED's so it won't really look OEM, but then neither do the more expensive units.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/car-tech/head-units/jbl-legend-cp100-1312956/review

trunghoangme

Hi, I'm new to this forum and actually can't create the new topic but my question is similar to this topic so.
I'm on budget to buy in-dash navigation/Bluetooth/aux and maybe CarPlay/android Auto if possible. My budget is about 200€ to buy from EBay/Amazon.
I found few options like this
+ in dash and also included camera to reverse : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F...998d-5011-8ce1-35434255ddc9&pf_rd_i=319595011
Or this android panel https://www.ebay.com/itm/331697733821

My main question is will it fit the car and work well ? And I also saw in some forum about CANBUS system? Does it relate to the indash panel?

Eric6014

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2 Door 2008 GTI DSG
My main question is will it fit the car and work well ? And I also saw in some forum about CANBUS system? Does it relate to the indash panel?

Those aren't android auto units. They have their own UI which is based on an old version of Android OS, not android auto. They will not run carplay either. There is a lot of info on this forum and others about these chinese made replica units. Some are better than others but from what I've read, none of them are particularly reliable.

The canbus allows communication between your head units and your steering wheel controls, multifunction display, etc. Without a compatible interface, you will loose steering wheel controls.

These are not worth the hassle in my opinion. Look at the unit I linked in my post above. Its less expensive than most on the market and will run android auto, google maps, etc.

o6RSGTI

Ready to race!
I'd stay away from the cheap chinese made HUs unless you want one for a short period of time one year or so. i bought the ST/AS-7609 back in 2011 i started having problems with it after a few months i still have it it works on and off. most of these HUs come with CANBUS decoders they are P n P it might need miner modification in the back of the Unit to make it fit properly.

trunghoangme

Yes, I knew that Chinese OEMs suck but I still need an in-dash panel to assist me driving as new driver ( just got driving license).
The JBL looks cool and I really like its UI as I works with UI a lot. But yes, it is doubled our budget.
Can you suggest me few example about indash panel for VW Golf Vibrant 5? Our budget is 200€ and maybe 250€ included shipping. Our piority is:
1> GPS with map & Aux( as I can't find any Aux plug in our car.
2> Have memory for storing music.
3> Bluetooth
4> included rear camera in package
5> AirPlay and Android Auto
6> extra Usb plug for charging or using iPod.
7> Android?
Etc.

Our wagon doesn't have any button on steering wheel so I think we don't need CANBUS functions.

09GTI_Mk5_Sasha

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2009 GTI 2.0L
Yes, I knew that Chinese OEMs suck but I still need an in-dash panel to assist me driving as new driver ( just got driving license).
The JBL looks cool and I really like its UI as I works with UI a lot. But yes, it is doubled our budget.
Can you suggest me few example about indash panel for VW Golf Vibrant 5? Our budget is 200€ and maybe 250€ included shipping. Our piority is:
1> GPS with map & Aux( as I can't find any Aux plug in our car.
2> Have memory for storing music.
3> Bluetooth
4> included rear camera in package
5> AirPlay and Android Auto
6> extra Usb plug for charging or using iPod.
7> Android?
Etc.

Our wagon doesn't have any button on steering wheel so I think we don't need CANBUS functions.

Just buy a GPS unit and then go to www.doubleapex.com for USB and Aux Connections... it'll be cheaper than buying a head unit that will only work for a short time....

David Clements

Hello all,
I have a 2006 MKV GTI with an OEM head unit. I am looking to replace it and have enjoyed reading all the threads here. I am curious if anyone is aware of an Android Auto head unit that would fit... or of any Android 5.x head units?

Both claims Android 5.1.1

I noticed several threads on XDA talking about skinned units to make them look more modern than they are.

I guess what I am really asking is what is the best choice as most threads are a few years old. Should I be looking at Android head units or something else?

3015EN head unit is better than 3015MO. I have tested the both head units. :23:

Ableas

Car(s)
Maruti
I have check and I knew that USB and Bluetooth have its connectivity features make it smarter and smooth then other device. You can check Pioneer AVH-3300NEX 7 which is good for you

Koal

Car(s)
'08 GTI MKV 2.0 tfsi
I bought the cheap knockoff head unit off the wish app and love it I thought the wattage was low so I added an amp but works great! Link's to my odb11 scanner and provides all my car info on screen!
IMG_20210109_165401745.jpg