GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein PSS Coilovers and ride comfort

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious if anyone could weigh in on this topic. Had the PSS Version for about 25k miles, mechanically they are very solid with no issues. Comfort wise they are super rough, now I knew I was getting into a situation like that with coilovers in general. They are the non-adjustable dampening version, just curious about any one who has adjustable dampening coilovers. Will the ride comfort ever come relatively close to stock on the more expensive dampening options such as KW V2 or V3?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Just curious if anyone could weigh in on this topic. Had the PSS Version for about 25k miles, mechanically they are very solid with no issues. Comfort wise they are super rough, now I knew I was getting into a situation like that with coilovers in general. They are the non-adjustable dampening version, just curious about any one who has adjustable dampening coilovers. Will the ride comfort ever come relatively close to stock on the more expensive dampening options such as KW V2 or V3?

I installed 4 different variations of suspension over the 10years. Car is getting a makeover and now has coilovers on it but it is going to be 60% track and 40% canyon carving so I have made comfort a very low priority this time.

I had KW v2 on my A6 and it ruined the comfort part of the ride. Handled well at the track.

The most comfortable setup that provided really good handling, again without giving up much at all in comfort was the combination of Bilstein Sports and Eibach Sportline springs. Great ride, handling and nice stance. Ran with that for the last 4 years street and track. Important NOT to buy the shocks for the MKV for some reason they are overly stiff. Get the ones for the MK6 GTI. They are not adjustable but it just seemed perfect for a mostly street car that does some canyon carving and occasional track use. I had 18x8 ET44 with 225/40/18 Comp2 and never any rubbing and I never bottomed out the suspension.

I ran with Eibach sways, Eibach Sportline Springs and these Bilsteins....

BIL 35-158745
Item: Monotube Strut Assembly
Fits: 2011 VOLKSWAGEN GTI Base

BIL 24-158756
Item: Monotube Shock Absorber
Fits: 2011 VOLKSWAGEN GTI Base

G4ndalf

Car(s)
MK5 GTI & MK 7.5R

I feel your pain and did not want the ride you described. I previously ran KW V2 on an old car. While they’re damping adjustable, the ride still wasn’t the best. I’m currently running Ohlins Road & Track. They are the best suspension ever in my opinion. They’re designed for daily driving and more than capable for hard track days with one simple adjustment. If you can, I’d recommend them. I now what these dampers on every car I ever own!

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
PSS are horrible. KW are very average. I've run V1, V2 and V3, all of them disappointing.

As per the gentleman above, I also currently use Ohlins DFV coilovers on my Edition 30, and they are nothing short of astonishing, imo. Same inverted monotube design as the PSS, but without the harshness, thanks to Ohlins Dual Flow Valve (DFV).

Think of it as a 'blow off' valve for suspension, which redirects oil through a less restrictive path under sudden impacts. Koni did a similar thing years ago with their FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) dampers, but the Ohlins are way, way better. You can have your cake, and indeed eat a big slice of it.

Last edited: