GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Joe's Intro/Timeline Thread...

unchosenwords

Hello everyone! My name is Joe, and I'm pretty new to the forums, but definitely not new to the VW world. I've owned several mk3s before, and recently bought a 2009 GTI in April of this year. I work for an auto body shop, so everything that I have done or will do in the future is done completely myself, or with the help of my buddy that works with me. I will keep this thread updated, and would love to help out anyone who lives close enough. Enjoy!

Here it is the day I brought it home, accompanied by my Uncle's S4

I personally hated the way the license plate covered the front grille, so away with that! Here's my very first mod. Shaved the license plate holes, primed it, painted it, wet-sanded it, and left it with a matte finish. Also painted the "lipstick", and left it glossy.

At the same time, I installed yellow lamin-x on the foglights, and nokya yellows in the ftp. Notice the sidemarker bulbs hanging out the sides, I'll get to that later.

Being my only car, I needed a way to get my little bass boat around to the local lakes. Installed a hitch. Not completely happy with the way it looks, but until I figure a way to hide it, it'll do for now.

Next up was tinting the lights. I did the front sidemarkers, the outer taillights and the inner taillights. Scuffed them up, and shot them with a special mix of black and actual auto clearcoat. I didn't want them too dark, just a nice dark cherry look.

After a quick wet-sand and buff, they looked perfect.

Then I got rid of the useless rear wiper. I couldn't bring myself to buy a $40 kit, so instead I used a rubber grommet, sealed with window urethane. I'm happy with it. I don't have a picture of it up close, but if anyone was interested I can for you.

I always loved the look of a car's interior lit up with l.e.d.s at night. Yup, that was next. De Auto Key full interior kit, plus license plate lights. Couldn't have been happier. Very bright, and none stay on when they shouldn't.

Well, I had always wanted it done to some of my older vehicles, but without being in the business, the price would never work with me. Black roof time. Sanded it, taped it, prepped it, and shot it. RM Deep Black, RM Clearcoat. Gave it a day in the sun, wet-sanded and buffed. Perfection.

At the same time, I buffed up the front grille back to gloss, painted the mirror caps, and painted the sharkfin antenna all with the same paint.

Ok it was time, I needed to sit a little lower. Being my daily, and having to tow my little boat, I couldn't go too low. Picked up a set of H&R Super Sports, and Bilstein Shocks/Struts. I don't have any pictures of the install, but here's a picture right after, nice and unsettled. The ride is awesome, doesn't feel lowered at all. Not bouncy, not too stiff. I was impressed.

And here's how it sits today.

I have no idea what my future plans are, I guess whatever looks or sounds good in my head. I will do some performance mods, most likely visit APR for a tune, along with some other goodies. I don't get too much time to work on it, between my other project (1955 Chevy Pickup), work, and side-work, it's hard to find time.

Well, like i said, I'll keep it updated, and thanks for looking! :thumbup:

Last edited:

unchosenwords

Thanks, and I don't like to ask for favors there. Yea, it would be nice in the booth, but besides the baking part, my garage is set up enough for painting. The sun works just as good lol