GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

More Clowning Around: R32

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I just checked out your GTI build because TE37's are some of my favorites. Beautiful car sir.:biggrin:

Thanks! I love them because they’re pretty understated. Most people don’t even notice what’s on the car. Or what it’s running till they smell that sweet sweet 110 octane. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g60_corrado_91

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI 6MT Pkg 1
Thanks! I love them because they’re pretty understated. Most people don’t even notice what’s on the car. Or what it’s running till they smell that sweet sweet 110 octane. [emoji23]

Hahaha race fuel smells so good!

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs

159,000 mi. A few days ago.

Now need to replace a front wheel bearing. So ima do both fronts. And front pads and rotors. And another oil change. And brake fluids? I dunno. Needs fluids stuff.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
How do you know if your front bearings are bad? I don’t have smooth rotors anymore so it makes it more difficult for me to tell.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
The whole hub assembly can start to wobble when bearing gets really bad.

For me, the rear was bad early in the summer and I didn’t notice till it started making enough noise that when I jacked up the car and looked it was critical that I left the car at the shop and got a ride home. Sort of a rotational noise unrelated to braking but increases with speed for me. Came back to finish it later with the parts.

For these fronts it’s not that bad but the noise is getting there. I had originally thought it was just because I had low pads and/or rotors but it’s definitely a bad bearing. At least the front and the tears are the same part and you can knock it out pretty quickly.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
For me, the rear was bad early in the summer and I didn’t notice till it started making enough noise that when I jacked up the car and looked it was critical that I left the car at the shop and got a ride home. Sort of a rotational noise unrelated to braking but increases with speed for me. Came back to finish it later with the parts.

For these fronts it’s not that bad but the noise is getting there. I had originally thought it was just because I had low pads and/or rotors but it’s definitely a bad bearing. At least the front and the tears are the same part and you can knock it out pretty quickly.

Yeah, the older school car had it pressed in to the knuckle. It seems you can just unbolt this hub assembly from the knuckle & replace the unit with a bearing already pressed.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion

That's only true on AWD cars. FWD cars have a different part number for the rears iirc.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
That's only true on AWD cars. FWD cars have a different part number for the rears iirc.

Yup. This is a r32 so it’s the same all around. The mk6 gti unfortunately isn’t. I buy crates of oil and parts that I can mix and match - eg the front brakes on both cars are the same now so I try and buy rotors in sets of 3/4 so I don’t have to. Same with pads, oil, filters, etc.

Replace the whole assembly and be done with it. Already had to do the rear last year but it feels recent. Planning to do fronts this week so I don’t have to worry about it again.

Still considering selling the car on a wagon or something. If I do, never going to do the chains. If I don’t, then it’s all in. It’s fine as a daily, just old. It would be nice to have something comfy and faster.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
Yup. This is a r32 so it’s the same all around. The mk6 gti unfortunately isn’t. I buy crates of oil and parts that I can mix and match - eg the front brakes on both cars are the same now so I try and buy rotors in sets of 3/4 so I don’t have to. Same with pads, oil, filters, etc.

Replace the whole assembly and be done with it. Already had to do the rear last year but it feels recent. Planning to do fronts this week so I don’t have to worry about it again.

Still considering selling the car on a wagon or something. If I do, never going to do the chains. If I don’t, then it’s all in. It’s fine as a daily, just old. It would be nice to have something comfy and faster.

You should just part it out. Probably worth more that way lol.

bon qui qui

Go Kart Champion
[emoji23] I have 3 front grills, two of them oem. Just selling the hoard of mk5 and 6 parts I have would be worth it.

Any driveshafts, or gas tanks? :lol: