GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo whine and shudder when turning engine off

penstone

My turbo has been sounding a bit like a police siren for the past few weeks, but I’ve continued nurse the car from A-B whilst I source a replacement. In the past few days the engine has developed a fairly noticeable shudder when turning off and the engine warning light is on.

A bit of googling seems to suggest the shudder problem is related to a faulty Anti-Shudder Valve.

Does anyone know if these two things are related and could possibly indicate a bigger issue? And does anyone have any particular advice for either of these issues?

Also, I’m a bit of a novice but am tempted to try and replace the Anti-Shudder Valve myself, it can’t be that hard can it? Does anyone have any advice for changing one, is it an easy job?

Thanks

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
My turbo has been sounding a bit like a police siren for the past few weeks, but I’ve continued nurse the car from A-B whilst I source a replacement. In the past few days the engine has developed a fairly noticeable shudder when turning off and the engine warning light is on.

A bit of googling seems to suggest the shudder problem is related to a faulty Anti-Shudder Valve.

Does anyone know if these two things are related and could possibly indicate a bigger issue? And does anyone have any particular advice for either of these issues?

Also, I’m a bit of a novice but am tempted to try and replace the Anti-Shudder Valve myself, it can’t be that hard can it? Does anyone have any advice for changing one, is it an easy job?

Thanks

You probably know this and may have already done this but you will get a better response on a TDI forum.

RDub30

Same on mine, my ASV has been damaged from getting the car. Believe there is a small plastic drive gear inside the ASV and it strips after a while, by the sounds yours will have jammed open which is good as the car still runs. Bad news is that there is not fix (can't be mapped out either ) just a replacement unit .. About £180.
The two problems I.e. Turbo and ASV aren't related, just coincidental but can be a very bad combination.
Idea of the ASV is to cut off air intake to head; 1. Stop engine from "shuddering" when turned off 2. To prevent diesel runaway (engine running on oil supply from oil leak)
This can cause you a big issue if your turbo is going as theoretically it may run on the oil supplied from your turbo if the seals give way.
As with when my turbo went is snapped the shaft sending compressor wheel (what was left) into intercooler along with 2 litres of oil hydro locking the engine, this could just have easily lead to diesel runaway if there was a little less oil being fed through so just bit advice.. If the turbo goes; pull over and stall it before it costs you an engine too.
Hope this helps