GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS judder when first use brakes?! Help!

TomLum

Hi guys,

recently bought into the world of VW Golf and love my car. 2006 Mk5 GT TDI.

However It has a fault. When I first start the car and drive off, the first couple of time I use the brakes they don't work! I just get loads of what feels like ABS kick back through the pedal. Its terrifying. Is this a well known fault? After this the brakes seems to function as expected.

My first guess was some sort of ABS sensor issue. I have no faults on the dash and scanned the ECU for codes.

Any pointers would be massively appreciated!

Tom

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
This may or may not be the case but I have had similar problems in the past. Cause was pad material build up on rotor. Usually you can see it if you look at rotor. The blotches of build up can cause very uneven braking (judder) as the pad glides over a mixed surface.

If it is really bad you can remove it with come wet/dry sandpaper. If its not too bad you can take the car out to an open road and do some full pedal stops to remove it.

TomLum

This may or may not be the case but I have had similar problems in the past. Cause was pad material build up on rotor. Usually you can see it if you look at rotor. The blotches of build up can cause very uneven braking (judder) as the pad glides over a mixed surface.

If it is really bad you can remove it with come wet/dry sandpaper. If its not too bad you can take the car out to an open road and do some full pedal stops to remove it.

Hi, thanks for the tip..I've checked and the discs are clean. It certainly feels like it the ABS kicking and not build up on the discs. I get loads of feedback through the pedal like it thinks the car is skidding. After this happenes the brakes are fine untill the next time I drive it.