GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing clutch need some input.

Pantera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 vw gti
I just hit 100k and my clutch is going. Was going up a hill n the rpms shot to 4k n 3rd n 4th n i wasnt going anywhere. I got it to engage made it home n i could smell that clutch. My first question would be should i just replace with the brand LUK which is just stock i believe since it lasted 100k ? Next question would be if my flywheel doesnt have any play or damage is it ok just to replace the clutch? I guess my final question would be if i do end up taking it to a shop what kinda bill would i be lookin at for just labor. My mods are just intake 3 inch exhaust fmic n apr stage 2. Trying to go cheap as possible cuz i just built a house n have to buy a truck for winter lol. Thanks in advance!!!!!

Millennium Falcon

Ready to race!
Labor would be about $600+ depending on what shop you go t. Best bet is to ask. If the fly wheel looks good you can reuse it, nothing wrong with that. YOu will need a new pressure plate and clutch disk. I recommend SBC b/c of their customer service is top notch!

Also see if you have a clutch place in your area. Here in TN we have a place where he can rebuild the clutch disk with what ever your application needs as well as rebuild the pressure plate, all for 200 out the door! Just a thought!

nashbar

Ready to race!
Car(s)
b5s4, fz1 and mk5
search on this site, Southbend doesn't have a good reputation.

before buying parts, you'll want to confirm the cause of the slipping. my clutch disc and pressure plate were fine, my flywheel was coming apart when the clutch started to slip.

brosevelt

Ready to race!
search on this site, Southbend doesn't have a good reputation.

before buying parts, you'll want to confirm the cause of the slipping. my clutch disc and pressure plate were fine, my flywheel was coming apart when the clutch started to slip.

What mileage were you at when this happened?

07GTI-2.0T

Go Kart Champion
at 100k the flywheel should be replaced (you'll be paying for labor all over again if it fails 25k miles later). From my understanding the springs or whatever is sandwiched in the flywheel wear. With flywheel and clutch replacement its really no cheaper than upgrading but its a lot quieter and easier to live with. I see no reason to deviate from stock at any k03 level and possibly all but high output k04 levels (says the guy with 125k miles and counting on the stock clutch that's had at least a tune for over 100k miles)

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
I have a stage 2 southbend clutch kit. I added a fluidampr at the same time. So far so good. Revs much quicker now too.

Pantera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 vw gti
Ill ask my dad hes a been a mechanic for 35 years about sum clutch shops but in this area vws are always an exception. The import mechanics around cumberland are pretty dumb. Ive been to a few for a limp mode issue and they couldnt find a big hole in a intercooler pipe. One pulled a rev d dv off and said that it was my issue cause it wasnt stock. My dad said hed do it for me so id save on labor but i guess when he tares it apart ill order all i need at once.

skyle

i just went though this debate myself and went with Clutch Master fx350, wavetrac lsd, usp shift forks, usp clutch line, ecs turning speed bleeder block and raxles axles. I ended up going with Clutch Masters because of all the clutches i had reviewed they had the best rep. With that said, 1500 miles on it, it started to slip do to a faulty slave cylinder (throw out bearing) which was new from clutch masters. I have about 200 miles since replacing it for the second time and so far everything is great. Those western md hills sucks when your clutch is going out, but there are a lot of fun roads i miss back home

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
You are not the only person to mention crappy TOB from clutchmasters. I guess OEM is the way to go for that part.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
It's probably the same quality oem replacement part that everyone uses.. you aren't getting a clutchmaster brand tob/slave cylinder setup

Monkeykungfu

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 BMP GTI
55k miles

I'm at 55k mi on my '08 FSI & mine is definitely slipping in the upper gears when I'm even slightly getting on it. I'm just APR stg1 as well.

I feel like I know how to handle a clutch properly. I've drove stick for about 20 years before this & never had any clutch issues. I bought the car with 20k mils on it, not sure how the person treated it before me.

How did it turn out OP? Did you ever go with a clutch? How'd it go?

I plan to eventually go K04. Can't decide between the the CM fx350 or the SBC stg 2. Any testimonies for either of them?