GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

F!#$ the rain

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Are you all really pushing the car that hard on a daily basis that traction control saves your life on the regular?
Is it that much of a crutch to you and your driving skills that you're amazed what FWD is like with loss of traction?

Is ESP going to help a reckless driver? Or is it just going to prolong an incident needed to teach them; where it could potentially be worse incident down the line?

Surprise? Like what? A FWD car lost traction on suspension unload while the driver was still on the throttle? That's surprising?

Did I make a post saying anywhere that I lost control of my vehicle anywhere or ever remotely reference myself? Hmmm nope and oh yeah my esp is always off . Nor did I anywhere say esp is a godsend. If the Op hasn't realized by now that he was going to fast for the conditions and road skills ect by now from all the other posts, then it shouldn't be mentioned.
Last thing I need is some dumbass on an internet forum saying oh this dude told me turn my esp off and everything will be OK. Esp should be used for what it is meant for, a safety aid not a net. Why anyone would turn it off in the rain on public roads is beyond me. It also matters very little to your driving skills as even the most experienced drivers can run into surprises especially in public roads. If anything my track and club day experience has reinforced that notion. I have seen severe accidents because even the best drivers make mistakes loose control from time to time. Bottom line is dont drive above your skills and keep your ego out of it don't care how good you are or think you are, a vehicle has its limits.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
^Well said. The GTI's ESP isn't all that intrusive (unless you are really driving like a donkey or getting tire spin) and it can provide a valuable safety net if you hit a patch of ice or standing water. I often keep mine on in bad weather once I get up to highway speed, but I religiously keep it off around town since the tires spin pretty easily (because Racecar) and I don't feel comfortable with the way the car sounds when TC flashes. Does it cut fuel to regain traction? However it works, I don't want to run lean with the K04, and it makes some yucky popping sounds when TC comes into play. I'd rather allow for a tiny bit of easy-to-modulate tire spin and maximum power around town, since I'm a good enough driver to control that shit safely. I'm less confident in my ability to do a better job than ESP if I hit something slippery on the highway at 80+ mph, so unless I am racing someone on a closed course in Mexico, it stays on for highway portions of my commute.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
^Well said. The GTI's ESP isn't all that intrusive (unless you are really driving like a donkey or getting tire spin) and it can provide a valuable safety net if you hit a patch of ice or standing water. I often keep mine on in bad weather once I get up to highway speed, but I religiously keep it off around town since the tires spin pretty easily (because Racecar) and I don't feel comfortable with the way the car sounds when TC flashes. Does it cut fuel to regain traction? However it works, I don't want to run lean with the K04, and it makes some yucky popping sounds when TC comes into play. I'd rather allow for a tiny bit of easy-to-modulate tire spin and maximum power around town, since I'm a good enough driver to control that shit safely. I'm less confident in my ability to do a better job than ESP if I hit something slippery on the highway at 80+ mph, so unless I am racing someone on a closed course in Mexico, it stays on for highway portions of my commute.

Exactly. I have hit a puddle on the freeway and suddenly my TC was flashing and my wheel jerked slightly. I'm still learning my new throttle tip in points with the ko4 and got some good understeer the other day unexpectedly when boost kicked in . Still realized why, lifted and corrected, instead of keeping on throttle and going into the curb.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"

:paddle:

PS: I think i have read somewhere that ESP works with the brakes rather than cutting fuel/power.

Tadddd

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 UG GTI 2-Door
but I religiously keep it off around town since the tires spin pretty easily

This is me too. But anytime someone says something along the lines of "KEEP ESP ON," it gives me the impression that they're implying no bad shit is going to happen to anyone who keeps it on.

I'm just reading too much inbetween the lines.

My point was: The emphasis should be placed on aware driving rather than ESP as an aid. Slow down and consider the conditions.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
I usually hate Cosby, but that made me LOL.