GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes sponsored by The Tire Rack

Support GolfMKV by clicking this link to do your tirerack shopping, THANKS!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #23
theghost84
FIA GT Champion

Drives: GTI 07/6MT/UG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexvr View Post
Great opinion guys. I was at 21.5 from fender to ground and the frame about an inch of the ground, at 90mph I would merge lanes and knock of road reflectors. Road trips were also horrible and people wld tell me to raise it but I didn't listen lol sooo since I have experianced that, I will tell anyone who tells me fuk bags to fuk off bc I would know both worlds lol..no I would be running airlift xtra low struts and bags, koni sport strut rears, autopilot managment, 480 dual compressors, and easy street manifolds : ) ... I guess u guys have a point about bags at show but I was able to win best in class over a bagged jetta, clean ass looking ride, when I first saw it I'm lik o shit I lost lol but luckly I didn't. This was a big event too.

Ok for those bagged, how often do you experience leaks, blow outs, or any other problems? How do you align the car if you keep going up and down lol does it affect tire wear? Any reviews on the setup I posted... Thanks! And I am excited for this =D
X2 excellent questions curious as well
Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
kgspeed700
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Bagged 07 GTI & 1958 Beetle
I love a bagged car and will always give props to the owner. But i have to say I love a static car alot more. Its is the original Low and what started it all. STATIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kgspeed700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
ikeepsitReal
haz ur gf

Drives: 2008 CW Rabbit 5sp
Send a message via AIM to ikeepsitReal
bags do wonders for the mkv

as much as i love seeing static drop cause it takes balls
you cant argue with a car laying frame

if you got the dough to lay out
bags all the way
ikeepsitReal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #26
BLKSUNSHINE
Banned

Drives: 07 BAGGED MKV
Quote:
Great opinion guys. I was at 21.5 from fender to ground and the frame about an inch of the ground, at 90mph I would merge lanes and knock of road reflectors. Road trips were also horrible and people wld tell me to raise it but I didn't listen lol sooo since I have experianced that, I will tell anyone who tells me fuk bags to fuk off bc I would know both worlds lol..no I would be running airlift xtra low struts and bags, koni sport strut rears, autopilot managment, 480 dual compressors, and easy street manifolds : ) ... I guess u guys have a point about bags at show but I was able to win best in class over a bagged jetta, clean ass looking ride, when I first saw it I'm lik o shit I lost lol but luckly I didn't. This was a big event too.

Ok for those bagged, how often do you experience leaks, blow outs, or any other problems? How do you align the car if you keep going up and down lol does it affect tire wear? Any reviews on the setup I posted... Thanks! And I am excited for this =D
There are so many factors to your questions...And you will hear a million and one different opinions...

If you purchase good products and don't cheap out on materials you will be "less" prone to leaks..there is no such thing as a perfect setup! (It's air, so there is up-keep, but nothing you can't do if you do some research and you are mechanically inclined). Blow outs typically occur from a bad installation.. Typically the bag will rub on a tire up front or the rear strut bolt will tear a rear bag.. (Again, this is from a bad install or bad clearance issue). My all seasons have been on the car 2 years and still going strong with over 1000+ dumps on air. You can still align your car.. and yes you will be wearing threw tires in the long run.. Considering a good air-ride system including air management, install, and notch frame (optional on a mkv) will be around $3-$5K for a good setup, and I'm being fair on the costs, then tires shouldn't be a big concern.

It's just like anything else.. you get what you pay for.. and how you take care of it and maintain things will make it last long with no issues, or cause you headaches.

If you do air, do it because you want it.. not because it's cool
BLKSUNSHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 AM   #27
Alexvr
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 09 TSI GTI SLAMMED
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSUNSHINE View Post
There are so many factors to your questions...And you will hear a million and one different opinions...

If you purchase good products and don't cheap out on materials you will be "less" prone to leaks..there is no such thing as a perfect setup! (It's air, so there is up-keep, but nothing you can't do if you do some research and you are mechanically inclined). Blow outs typically occur from a bad installation.. Typically the bag will rub on a tire up front or the rear strut bolt will tear a rear bag.. (Again, this is from a bad install or bad clearance issue). My all seasons have been on the car 2 years and still going strong with over 1000+ dumps on air. You can still align your car.. and yes you will be wearing threw tires in the long run.. Considering a good air-ride system including air management, install, and notch frame (optional on a mkv) will be around $3-$5K for a good setup, and I'm being fair on the costs, then tires shouldn't be a big concern.

It's just like anything else.. you get what you pay for.. and how you take care of it and maintain things will make it last long with no issues, or cause you headaches.

If you do air, do it because you want it.. not because it's cool
Amen to that, yea its what i need, i love low yet dont want to be limited in places to go...what kit would you consider? thanks kevin!!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #28
maxgtiturbo
Banned

Drives: Volkswagen
i want fks.
maxgtiturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 AM   #29
RSMark5
GolfMkV Elite

Drives: 06 Passat 3.6 4motion
Quote:
Amen to that, yea its what i need, i love low yet dont want to be limited in places to go...what kit would you consider? thanks kevin!!
I wouldn't suggest a kit. I would suggest getting things different places and setting it up how you want it. If your looking to build on a budget why not do a 7 switch and gauges? Easystreet has been good to me, but sometimes I'm not so sure how exact the digital gauges are. I have the Easystreet manifolds too and no leaks to speak of, no rubs to speak of, and tires wearinh good so far. Actually a little bit more comfortable a ride.

My ride height is in the 22.5" range. Roads here kind of suck.
RSMark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #30
HoopaChalupa
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: useless.
Send a message via AIM to HoopaChalupa
if you mod a car just to win at shows thats cool, though you are catering to the public and judges and not your own ideas. do your own thing and fuck raising the car up...coils limit the ability to get low.
as a friend said on my driving habits... i see a pothole and i lower the car.
HoopaChalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 PM   #31
mk funf
wheel-whore

Drives: .:R
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopaChalupa View Post
coils limit the ability to get low.
lol did u see ur car b4 bags?
mk funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #32
LBVdubin
Baggin aint easy

Drives: 08.5 2dr TR GTI
Quote:

As blksunshine said you are not immune to leaks, when I had my bags in no matter how many times i went over the lines/fittings I could never completely rid the system of leaks. I would fill the tank and bags up at night and by the next morning they would be completely empty. With that being said if everything is properly installed you should be able to minimize that. I'm sure others will disagree, but as far as alignments go its pretty much impossible. Reason being is because you will never ever be able to adjust all 4 corners to the exact height that they were aligned at, so its useless. Because of that reason I went threw tires like nothing. The outsides of the tire were like brand new but the insides would wear to the belts.

Another thing most people don't think about is that our cars had literally thousands and thousands of hours of R&D testing, etc. They were built purposefully to be as safe as possible a high speeds. When you destroy all that and replace it with parts that have a fraction of the time put in to them, combined with a pieced together a kit from various different manufacturers, and installed by some self assured gear heads in a day, you have a not so safe vehicle. Now this sounds absolutely retarded, because it is, but when i would be going at +100 speeds I would be thinking...did i tighten that valve enough? or is that bag going to fall out of its seat and blow up, or what if the line is rubbing on the tire, or wtf am I doing if this bag blows I'm dead. Sorry for the lecture, just another angle to view this at.

As far as your set up, I can't speak for the other parts, but the auto pilot is great and it installs extremely easily with the easy street valves. I would go with the viair 400c compressors as they fill up faster, or you could check out their newer models which I'm not to familiar with but have heard great things about.

check out kevin@ airassisted.com
great guy and service.

good luck!
LBVdubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #33
dub4orl
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: shaved & clean mkv gti
alex, i told you already. stock struts + cut springs = sex on wheels. do it. ;)

----->www.dubbersinc.com<-----
dub4orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 AM   #34
GTIzlatko
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 06 GTI
i'd say bags just because they are way more fun ... a good advice is that you don't go cheap when it comes to it, get good components, and make sure you maintain the system. Its AirRide its not perfect ..

when it comes to shows yeah sure bags have a wow factor but by no means do they give you an advantage when it comes to shows. So far no mkV on air has made it to H2O top Dawg, no mkV won a show because they are on bags.

There are to many turds (i mean that in a good way) out there who believe they should win just because they have air.

Static drop is by no means inferior to air. Once again its a matter of personal opinion!
GTIzlatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #35
SlowNLow
MOAR LOW

Drives: Lower Than You
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Sinister View Post
Static drop is by no means inferior to air. Once again its a matter of personal opinion!
when it comes to shows dont you think static is inferior to air?
IMO.....since air could go lower, it would give those cars an advantage over a static car that couldnt go as low

DrivenMotive
Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMark5 View Post
You guys are turning into the MKV Photography super friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanticGTI View Post
Nope never heard of a Ronaldo.
SlowNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 AM   #36
BossDuB27
Illuminati

Drives: 2008 CW GTI MKV
Bags or coils wont help you win anything at a show if thats what you're after. Most people don't judge cars based on how low they are, but on the car as a whole (i.e wheels, body work, etc.). Bags and coils are a dime a dozen these days so you need other things to make yourself stand out.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:31 AM   #37
e_a_u_c
FIA GT Champion

Drives: gti fahrenheit
alex get whatever u want but get something i cant see ur car w springs hurry i cant wait anymore
Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #38
Alexvr
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 09 TSI GTI SLAMMED
awesome opinions guys and great help. i know i will be dealing with leaks and what not but i dont what to deal with it ALOT so i am getting everything brand new. from what i have read and have been told, the kit i built up is a good combo BUT i may be wrong.....as for the tire wear, all i am really concerned about is the front. i have never really cared for the rears but i hate when the fronts toe and they arent centered, then i get a crazy wear along with shaking but thats worst case and this is why i ask. so i should go with the 400c compressors instead, what is the difference between the two?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #39
GTIzlatko
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowNLow View Post
when it comes to shows dont you think static is inferior to air?
IMO.....since air could go lower, it would give those cars an advantage over a static car that couldnt go as low
No i don't. Say if you have bags and your trunk setup is wack and dirty then there go your points. Keep in mind that the car is judged as whole ( A THEME ), what look are you going for, etc. If you just throw on parts witn no reason or rhyme it could very well hurt you. Cars are also judged not just how they look but also the quality of the work done to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossDuB27 View Post
Bags or coils wont help you win anything at a show if thats what you're after. Most people don't judge cars based on how low they are, but on the car as a whole (i.e wheels, body work, etc.). Bags and coils are a dime a dozen these days so you need other things to make yourself stand out.

x2
Old 03-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #40
GTIzlatko
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
awesome opinions guys and great help. i know i will be dealing with leaks and what not but i dont what to deal with it ALOT so i am getting everything brand new. from what i have read and have been told, the kit i built up is a good combo BUT i may be wrong.....as for the tire wear, all i am really concerned about is the front. i have never really cared for the rears but i hate when the fronts toe and they arent centered, then i get a crazy wear along with shaking but thats worst case and this is why i ask. so i should go with the 400c compressors instead, what is the difference between the two?

if i had to do my air ride over again - well i kinda am in process of doing it, i'd go with

Bagyard struts or Masontech/Airlift wouldn't be a bad choice either.
5 gallon tank,
accuair manifold and digital managment
ridetech big red manifold and redetech digital managment
2 watertraps
2 480 compressors
Old 03-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #41
LBVdubin
Baggin aint easy

Drives: 08.5 2dr TR GTI
Quote:
I would go with the 400c over the 480c because it is $70 cheaper, at lower psi's it fills much quicker, and at its max psi of 150 it is only slightly slower than the 480. The only real difference between the two besides price is that the 480c fills to 200psi@100% duty cycle while the 400c to 150psi@33%. If your going to be running these for long periods of time the 480c might get burned out quickly.
Attached Images

LBVdubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #42
tasteofink8733
IlluminatiBilderbergNWO

Drives: 500+ HP STi
Bags are for groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraRed View Post
Neuspeed's for 200 shipped after looking at many pictures of them, i think it will drop the car nicely :)
6/4/07: Epic Quote.
STI Crew Holla

Perfect Condition Bilstein PSS9s F/S. 800 Shipped or willing to work out price picked up. Pm me
tasteofink8733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #43
ladytron
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: blow'n bubblz
dual 480s will draw less amperage, thus saving your alternator, and are significantly quieter in our cars

unless your airing out 24/7 I wouldn't worry about the duty cycle
ladytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #44
ladytron
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: blow'n bubblz
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBVdubin View Post
...but as far as alignments go its pretty much impossible. Reason being is because you will never ever be able to adjust all 4 corners to the exact height that they were aligned at, so its useless. Because of that reason I went threw tires like nothing. The outsides of the tire were like brand new but the insides would wear to the belts.
in manual setups, yes. but dig management with auto leveling lets you set a ride height, and then get an alignment at that. because all four corners auto-level, you maintain dead-on ride height no matter what load variations in weight you have.

accuair's e-level also has a cruise/down height, full up, and decked, all on the controller and remote FOB. trick.
ladytron is offline   Reply With Quote