GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Blown an Ignition Coil on their GTI?

VDUB UK

Passed Driver's Ed
I have recently blown 1 of 4 Ignition coils which caused my engine to jerk like crazy. I have now replaced with a new coil in coil slot 1. Though I have noticed it is still a bit jerky now and again do you think I should replace the existing 3 coils? When the check on VAG or whatever the AA dude did it showed coil one had gone, but iam thinking if one is going then its likely the rest are going to aswell?

I dont partically want to take to VW as they wanna charge me £50.00 just to tell me what may be wrong? Though It is looking like it may be the only option to get it sorted out for good.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I've gone through three ignition coils, two quite recently. It's alright, part of normal wear (though the two recent ones, cylinders 3 and 4, were unusual in that they happened right after each other).
Once one of those goes the car starts misfiring, hence the jerkiness. But it should be as smooth as silk once the coil has been replaced. However I am impressed that the AA dude was able to determine which coil pack had gone... it could be he replaced the wrong one? Or more than one was out? You can tell by the engine note and the frequency of the juddering how many coils are misfiring.
Anyway, they are replaceable under warranty so if you still have your warranty get them to check it out and replace the packs under that.