GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Legal/Illegal Number Plates?

Hutch1987

Car(s)
VW Golf
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone know the law's as to number plates in England. My Golf is registered in the UK, but I like the idea of getting a German Style number plate.
I suppose if Police spot the car they would just let it pass thinking it is a German registered car over in England, and if they did stop me I could just plead ignorant not realizing they are illegal. But thought i'd see if anyone knew the laws on this.

Cheers for any help in advance.

gsmmad

its definitly a mot failure. Apart from that police will stop you and also you may get fined £20. One of my friends has a very illegal plate and he gets fined 20 quid like every month, so he eventually went back to the plain legal ones.

I doubt anything big would happen from them, just stick your regular plates when you go for a mot. If the police stop you then just play stupid and say its the first time and you will change them over.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I knew a guy from the uk-mkvs forum who ran D plates for awhile, and kept the GB plates in the car easily accessible. Most police who stopped him were good enough to let him off when they saw the GB plates (though it was funny, when we drove into Germany the Germans just didn't get it... they were like "aha so why does der englischer vant to be like ze german?").
Dunno if he's taken them off now, but I do know they've gotten a lot stricter about it. You're not meant to deviate from font, size, or spacing otherwise their automatic camera things can't read the plate :/

mongyUK

Passed Driver's Ed
Ive run D plates for 9months...been stopped a couple of times but never fined. I have english plates in my boot that i can swap over easy, velcro works for this. :)

Fully Alarmed

RS Golf,the 1 and only...
Car(s)
Golf MKV
I used to run with D plates on and i only ever got stopped because i had altered the letter spacings on the plate, the D was never mentioned.

Its part of the europe thing, as long as your plate is legal you can show whatever country you want. AFAIK

lathamd

Are they legal?

Just watched a Police Interceptors: they are designed as "show plates" or "off road plates", They have to be within the standard (as everyone else on the road).
Have to be made of plastic (The german plates are generally metal), the caracters cannot be raised. - They also cannot have the "D" on them as the vehicle is not from Germany.
Hope this helps.

Kev#

If you have any plates other than standard plates ie if you got illegal ones on and you pass a police car equipped with ANPR it will flag up on there computer that something isnt right with your car and no doubt get pulled. I had smaller plates on mine got stopped twice and due to it being a private plate i was told that if was caught with anything other than legal plates my private reg would be taken from me so standard plates it has been for me since.

Kev#

I still say its down to who it is that stops you and what kind of day there having and the mood they might be in :fighting0030::fighting0030::sm3::cry:

Nutter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
just buy the legal steel pressed plates they have the iso number on them so the police cant do anything and they still look better than the cheap plastic ones.