GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a R32?

logcar

My first post here, so don't kill me!

I'm looking at an R32 right now to buy. It's a 2008 with 135,000 miles on it (#259/5000)

What are some key things I should look for before buying? And reading about the mechatronic unit, it looks like most have been replaced early in these cars due to recall? There's no service records with the car about this, as the guy now is the 3rd or 4th owner.

Any input on this would be a great help. Thanks.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
My first post here, so don't kill me!

I'm looking at an R32 right now to buy. It's a 2008 with 135,000 miles on it (#259/5000)

What are some key things I should look for before buying? And reading about the mechatronic unit, it looks like most have been replaced early in these cars due to recall? There's no service records with the car about this, as the guy now is the 3rd or 4th owner.

Any input on this would be a great help. Thanks.

I’ve been enjoying mine, got into it at 140k, now it’s got over 220k , less probs then I had with the 4cyls. Like any VR6, look after the cooling system/components

AA 954

Passed Driver's Ed
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=195213&share_type=t

Good luck on the purchase, absolutely an amazing car and lots of fun, I had similar questions in the past and the post that I’m including provides you some very good context on what another R32 owner has documented during his current ownership of the car in repairs and aproximate costs.

Did you already test drive the car? With that mileage I personally would take it for an indepedent inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

leo@r32.co

Passed Driver's Ed
You will want to find out if the timing chain tensioner has been replaced (doing this requires dropping the transmission and/or the engine. Quotes I got for this range from $3k to $8k. have yet to do mine, I'm at 122k miles. It's said it's best to between 80k miles and 120k miles)

Also ask if the Haldex, diff's and DSG have been serviced recently. Totall for all three will run you about $2000 (yes two grand, and that's NOT at a dealer).

DSG and haldex flush is recommended to be done every 50k miles. Most people I've seen do it every 20k to 25k miles.

Mechatronic issue not really a thing anymore.

Get under the car if possible. Look at the undercarriage and also look at the bumpers. See if there's any sign of them being worked on, cracking, excessive wear, etc.

Ask if any of the cooling and oil hoses and couplings have been replaced. I recently had all of that done on my MkV R32. One of the hoses blew out and the mechanic said that all the others should be replaced to due age/degradation. This was $3k in work, mostly labor as the parts were less than $400.

Keep in mind you are buying a 10 year old car with a fair amount of miles.

What are the condition of the brake rotors and pads? Brake lines?

Is there any evidence of moisture in the spare tire area of the trunk? Sometimes the hatch seals wear out and rain water can get in.

Get as much info as you can about what maintenance has been done

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Dude if yer gonna get involved in a vehicle worrying about all that shit all the time and not enjoying the ride, best just get a bus pass. Motor vehicles import and domestic are a losing investment EVERYTIME. Brand new you typically lose 5k as soon as you sign the deal. If you want the car, get it, enjoy it, then get outta it at less cost. And save a shitton doing your own maintenance cause you won’t make it back in resale.

leo@r32.co

Passed Driver's Ed
I was just going off my own experience as I bought mine solely for the look and sound.

Better to be informed on what to expect down the road.

I sure as hell should have done more research on maintenance. The DSG/Haldex costs were a pisser when I found out.

Joe1661

2k for diff, DSG and Haldex? Wow.

I just bought a used MkV R32 and wanted to start fresh, so I had it serviced yesterday at a very reputable local shop. Oil and Filter, DSG and filter, Haldex, and the diff. Also had the radiator flushed and filled, state inspection and they installed a used factory exhaust I found online. Total was $791.

AaronJulian

2k for diff, DSG and Haldex? Wow.

I just bought a used MkV R32 and wanted to for fresh start, so I had it serviced yesterday took phenq GNC at a very reputable local shop oil and Filter, DSG and filter, Haldex, and the diff. Also had the radiator flushed and filled, state inspection and they installed a used factory exhaust I found online. Total was $791.

I too bought a used MkV R32 (2011), but before buying I test drove it and got it checked from a mechanic (a friend of mine). And after service, it's going great guns.

Last edited: