GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

repeated fuel level sender faults

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Good evening!

Has anyone had multiple fuel level sender issues? I had both replaced last year due to no fuel showing on the IP and I had just filled up, no low fuel warning no mil, nothing. just a needle stuck on 0. This Friday it did it again, VWOA is being awesome btw since the part failed within the 12/12. But my concern is that there is something else at play here, I tried closing the terminals on the main pump and adjusting the pins. But as soon as I turned the key to on, no change. now I will say it typically only happens immediately after I fill up. But in my short time wrenching on these things I NEVER EVER saw repeated failures, then again I also replaced the pumps AND senders with my repairs.

Any thoughts on the culprit here? No faults either

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
So I finally got my car back from the shop and unfortunately they weren't able to duplicate the level sender issue. ☹️
There were two soft faults stored but nothing hard set.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait till it fails again.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Update. The main fuel pump was culprit. The wiring overheated and caused a bunch of issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
The pump unit was replaced as well as the fp connector and part of the harness.

Kinda hard to see in the second pic but you can see how the plastic has discolored and turned brown around the terminals

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
That's the main pump, the original one that came in the car. Maybe on the GTI they were different colors?

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal

Behold! My level sender and 2 of the three wires, i left the black one out cuz you can’t see the black on black

SawULook

08 Go kart Champion
Car(s)
C.W. .:R32 RIP (L)GS

Behold! My level sender and 2 of the three wires, i left the black one out cuz you can’t see the black on black

Stang - Mine is doing somewhat the same thing. It will read the fuel level and then I’ll be driving and then all of a sudden it will drop to zero and stay that way until I shut it off and restart. I’m wondering is this is possibly the same cause. I am going to take my car out to a shop in Orange, Ca to have them scan and see if there are any fault codes to see if it will tell me what sender it is so I can order from ECS.

It’s ironic how I have 108k and all of the grimlins are starting to come out on my MKV R32....also have 2 o2 sensors that are playing games with me and my driver side head light is not working....still trying to figure that one out and it’s baffling me....FML I love the car, but I’m seriously thinking about trading it in for a Ford F-250 Super Duty....I’m trying to hang on to it for my14 year old, but it’s killing me right now with all of the problems that are now happening.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
Stang - Mine is doing somewhat the same thing. It will read the fuel level and then I’ll be driving and then all of a sudden it will drop to zero and stay that way until I shut it off and restart. I’m wondering is this is possibly the same cause. I am going to take my car out to a shop in Orange, Ca to have them scan and see if there are any fault codes to see if it will tell me what sender it is so I can order from ECS.

It’s ironic how I have 108k and all of the grimlins are starting to come out on my MKV R32....also have 2 o2 sensors that are playing games with me and my driver side head light is not working....still trying to figure that one out and it’s baffling me....FML I love the car, but I’m seriously thinking about trading it in for a Ford F-250 Super Duty....I’m trying to hang on to it for my14 year old, but it’s killing me right now with all of the problems that are now happening.

Saw, it took a minute to get this sorted out. If the shops hadn’t been so caught up in diag it would have been sorted out quick. I’ve gone back and forth in keeping and selling. Ultimately I decided to keep it. What sorts of issues are you having?