GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Travelling to Nevada & California - Looking for ideas!

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
Car(s)
GTI MKV TSI DSG
Hey guys,

I'm going to be flying out Vegas with my best friend at the end of the month and plan to make a road trip to Cali out of it. I've only ever been down the eastern seaboard and this will be my third time in the USA. So I'm looking for some ideas as to what we can do.

We want to avoid the tourist thing, but there are a few popular spots I've always wanted to see. We're going to incorporate some camping and roughing it, no real itinerary, just a vague plan.

The plan is to spend a night or two in Vegas and pick up a rental car. From there we're probably going to check out the Hoover dam and continue inland to the Grand Canyon. I have no interest in Grand Canyon tours but have always wanted to see it. What does interest me is kayaking the Colorado River... any thoughts on this?

After staying at the Grand Canyon for a night we'll be heading toward Southern California. We're going to be camping in Joshua Tree for a night and continuing to San Diego. From there we head to the LA area for a day/night and probably check out some bars. Depending on our rental car I also want to drive the crap out of the Mulholland Highway. Anybody in the area want to rent me their GTI for an afternoon? I'll pay you in maple syrup and bacon k?

After that we drive north into Sequoia park for some more camping. After that we drive back to coast and north to San Francisco, hopefully making some cool stops along the way.

When all is said and done, we're probably going to be flying home out of Sacramento. Really, I'm just looking for a flight to Ottawa for under $200. Sacramento seems to be the cheapest other than Vegas. I would be willing to drive as far North as Oregon to fly home if the price was right.

Please throw me some suggestions. We are both outdoorsy guys. Neither of us have ever seen a desert before. I'm looking for hole-in-the-wall awesomeness (not a glory hole), cheap lodging, cheap rental cars, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, swimming, epic food, interesting characters, hidden culture.

I'm greatly looking forward to exploring this amazing country :)

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
I'll start it off with a small list of places to eat.
Pinks Hot Dogs - West Hollywood
Manna Korean BBQ - Little Tokyo/ Downtown Los Angeles
Sushi Gen - Downtown Los Angeles
Din Tai Fung (Chinese food, their Shanghai Steam Buns are awesome) - Arcadia
Coco Ichibanya (Japanese Curry) - There are a few locations in California
King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant - Torrence
Bruxie - Orange
Earl of Sandwich - Anaheim
M&M Donuts - Anaheim
Chego - Chinatown in Los Angeles
Happa Restaurant - Gardena
Sushi Island - Torrance
Joe's Sushi (All you can eat sushi) - Multiple Locations in CA
Umami Burger - Multiple Locations in CA
Shin Sen Gumi (Ramen & Yakitori) - Multiple Locations in CA
The Original Pantry Cafe - Downtown Los Angeles
Philippe the Original - Chinatown Los Angeles
Bear Flag Fish Company - Newport Beach
Phil's BBQ - San Diego
Hash House A Go Go - San Diego

Dutchy

Go Kart Champion
Seeing as how I love to hike around the Norcal Area, I'm racking my brain for suggestions for you to try out. The Santa Cruz Mountains are great for hiking, but I think you would really enjoy hiking on Mt. Tamalpais, which is about 30 minutes to the north of San Francisco. You should take a whole day to go through Muir Woods, Mt. Tamalpais, and Point Reyes State park, all within 30 minutes north of SF. Mt. Tamalpais is about a 3-4 hour hike and has excellent views of the SF Bay Area, as well as the Pacific Ocean to the other side. Muir Woods is beautiful, as is Point Reyes. They're not your typical tourist locations, so you should like it there. On your way up from the coast, you could always stop for some ziplining in the Santa Cruz mountains, through the redwood forests. Also worth seeing is Big Sur, and Big Basin State Parks.

Hiking suggestions:
http://www.everytrail.com/best/hiking-mt-tamalpais-state-park

Zip Lining:
http://mounthermonadventures.com/redwood-canopy-tours

Dutchy

Go Kart Champion

rubbaVdub

Beer Enthusiast
Car(s)
GTI MKV TSI DSG
Thanks for the ideas so far gents!

Fallenan9el - that list is awesome, definitely checking some of those out - sushi fan much? ;)

Dutchy - That site is fucking awesome, not sure how I've never found that before. There's a nice little studio in LA with some great reviews, will definitely check that out as an alternative to hotels.

Sterling

Steel Tip
Car(s)
S3
I'll start it off with a small list of places to eat.
Pinks Hot Dogs - West Hollywood
Manna Korean BBQ - Little Tokyo/ Downtown Los Angeles
Sushi Gen - Downtown Los Angeles
Din Tai Fung (Chinese food, their Shanghai Steam Buns are awesome) - Arcadia
Coco Ichibanya (Japanese Curry) - There are a few locations in California
King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant - Torrence
Bruxie - Orange
Earl of Sandwich - Anaheim
M&M Donuts - Anaheim
Chego - Chinatown in Los Angeles
Happa Restaurant - Gardena
Sushi Island - Torrance