GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Technical Discussions > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust

Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Drives: 2007 mkv gti
Who's installed the GIAC 2.0T In-Tank Fuel Pump Upgrade?

http://www.giacusa.com/news_and_medi...ews.php?id=208

I need low pressure help and will likely install this kit. My low fuel pressure always drops to 3.5 bar whether I have the oem or my USP hi-flow tank pump installed.

I have the install instructions...but they are not the easiest to follow. So, if you have installed this kit please give your review on how the install went. I may have someone else install it, or at least partly, because I only have the use of one of my hands and I don't think I can zip-tie the additional pump to the basket once they are both inside the tank. I also do not get where to put the boost sensor relay. I assume it will be up front as just the wires need to head back to the fuel tank. I wish GIAC has, or made, a DIY video for this.
GIAC K04&DSG files/AWE DV/Autotech HPFP/Torqbyte PM3/TTRS LPFP/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc,WG act.&TB HOSE/Techtonics TB/Custom Turbo Outlet/BSH Mounts/NEUS. P-FLO&throttle pipe/13.2"BBK/W.A.L.K./H&R SS/H&R F&R-ARB's/Bilstein B8 Dampers My Dragtime link-GIAC tune2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH
ROH ECHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
xSabretoothx
Fast w/ training wheels

Drives: Better Than You
You might want to consider this instead:
https://torqbyte.com/products/torqbyte-pm3

Marvin J. Ashton
xSabretoothx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

Drives: GTI
Send a message via AIM to eurocars
How much is it? The kit is literally just an extra pump controlled by a Hobbs switch like the USP kit. You could build the same thing for ~$100
Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSabretoothx View Post
You might want to consider this instead:
https://torqbyte.com/products/torqbyte-pm3
I am...but hoping to see if it works with the oem pump rather than having to reinstall my TTRS pump from USP...only because I hate the inaccurate fuel gauge readings and I read the TTRS has issues below 1/4 tank for some...though I don't recall ever having any. But if I could make adjustments to the TTRS float or something...I would go back to it. The PM3 lpfp driver looks easier to install than the GIAC kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocars View Post
How much is it? The kit is literally just an extra pump controlled by a Hobbs switch like the USP kit. You could build the same thing for ~$100
Eurocars, you asking xSabertoothx the price of the PM3 lpfp driver? It's listed at $374usd. GIAC's kit is $550.
GIAC K04&DSG files/AWE DV/Autotech HPFP/Torqbyte PM3/TTRS LPFP/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc,WG act.&TB HOSE/Techtonics TB/Custom Turbo Outlet/BSH Mounts/NEUS. P-FLO&throttle pipe/13.2"BBK/W.A.L.K./H&R SS/H&R F&R-ARB's/Bilstein B8 Dampers My Dragtime link-GIAC tune2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH
Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

The ultimate goal is to just get a low pressure actual to meet its request and have the high pressure request to be as it should rather than the 110 bar it has been until I reduced the boost allowing the request to raise partially to 125 bar. My high pressure actual is always over its request by the way.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
eurocars
5/17/15 - Never forget

Drives: GTI
Send a message via AIM to eurocars
I was talking about the GIAC kit. If you're considering it, I can help you piece one together for much less
Old 06-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocars View Post
I was talking about the GIAC kit. If you're considering it, I can help you piece one together for much less
Thank you but I'm considering not using the GIAC kit as it looks easier to use the PM3 lpfp driver with either the oem or the USP 'hi-flow' I already have. Not a huge build here...not seeking more or the most...I just want the low actual pressure to do what the request is and hope the high pressure request will be as it should. I have a compound issue with too much boost and low fuel pressure from the tank pump. I'm just looking to correct it the easiest way at this point.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Receiving my new oem controller today and will get it installed first. Then next to come is the torqbyte PM3, and finally I will likely swap out the oem lpfp to my USP hi-flow lpfp once the fuel level sender is transferred. I will report changes to my hpfp request and my lpfp actual as I go.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
xSabretoothx
Fast w/ training wheels

Drives: Better Than You
Awesome! Hope that set-up works well for you.

Marvin J. Ashton
xSabretoothx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROH ECHT View Post
Receiving my new oem controller today and will get it installed first. Then next to come is the torqbyte PM3, and finally I will likely swap out the oem lpfp to my USP hi-flow lpfp once the fuel level sender is transferred. I will report changes to my hpfp request and my lpfp actual as I go.
I would try the OEM pump first since that is what you are tuned for. My understanding from working with DM was that tuning was necessary when upgrading the LPFP
Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
high_octane3541
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 08 MkV GTI / 2016 S3
Quote:

If it's the "H" version, the pm3 doesn't work with those. I think torqbyte has a work around though
Old 07-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #12
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I would try the OEM pump first since that is what you are tuned for. My understanding from working with DM was that tuning was necessary when upgrading the LPFP
I hope to use the oem lpfp...I don't use the DM tune anymore...back with the GIAC K04-HO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_octane3541 View Post
If it's the "H" version, the pm3 doesn't work with those. I think torqbyte has a work around though
It is that H-version oem controller that I installed Friday July 7, '17. Looks like nothing was wrong with the E-version(details below)...so it may be going back in real soon along with the PM3.

Haven't got to do a data log yet...tried a quick one yesterday in 4th but only got to 6100 rpm and already saw the pressure just go under 4 bar(3.88) at a 4.26 request. At 6200 rpm is where my lpfp actual always dropped below 4 bar in the past...so still need to get a full pull of data...but looking like I need to go further as I thought with the PM3 and lpfp upgrade. I do plan to install the PM3 with the oem lpfp and check data before installing the lpfp upgrade because wanting to see and post when the actual fuel pressure in the low lines are corrected.

Last edited by ROH ECHT; 07-11-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

So...Torqbyte and another here says the 1K0906093H is KR@P! Made in China and doesn't solve its issues. It is also not compatible with the PM3. Torqbyte says they will have an oem replacement available in a few weeks if interested. It won't eliminate the need for the PM3 if needed,, but you can hopefully trust it is better quality than the oem offerings.

So, I reinstalled my old, E-vrsion-1K0906093E, control unit today.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

I got the oem "v-E" controller reinstalled and a new G-version is on order. But, when looking into swapping the fuel level sender from the oem lpfp to the USP hi-flow, as suggested by Deutsche Auto Parts' diy video @ 3m55s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cit56QE5UHo for correct fuel level reading on your gauge, I found they are completely different designs and cannot be simply transferred as they say in the diy vid.

I just hope when I install the PM3 with the oem lpfp I see the corrections needed. Then I need to decide which lpfp upgrade would be best because I hate the USP hi-flow's gauge misfunction.

Can I do something like this in the oem basket?: http://www.highflowfuel.com/ag-13051...-gti-2-0l.html

Last edited by ROH ECHT; 07-17-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #15
Goodz
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 5dr 08 GTI 6M
So any resolution to this?

I am going Revo stage 4 and everything is done minus the lpfp upgrade. I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.... Can I swap the lpfp with the TTRS pump leave the original control module and wire in the PM3 unit? This is supposed to be a "plug and play" solution just really can't find any confirmation
Revo Stg4//GT3076R//R8 Coils//HPFP Upgrade//TTRS LPFP//PM3 LPFP driver//Tial MVR 44mm WG//Forge Twintercooler//RS4 FPRV//RS4 Injectors//BSH PCV Block off//Custom Intake//H&R SS Springs//3" Turbo back Straight Pipe//AEM AFR Gauge//NewSouth-BoostGauge//Forge UNOS MBC//Dogbone Insert//Forge Short-shifter//Eurojet Motor Mounts//Yellow Fogs//Yellow FTP//Interlaggos Door Cards//Euro Switch//Pioner//JL Audio//
Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #16
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

I opted to go PM3 rather than GIAC's dual lpfp.

The PM3 helped raise and keep actual pressure above 4 bar with the tiring oem lpfp still installed. But the PM3 and oem controller works with the oem pump and the TTRS lpfp. You can wait and upgrade it to a TTRS when you see pressures drop below 4 bar. I plan to integrate the TTRS into the oem housing and sender when this happens because of the following.

The PM3 and oem controller will plug in to the TTRS upgrade...you just will not have correct fuel gauge readings with the TTRS sender installed. The readings will be slightly off...meaning it won't read completely full and may run empty when it sayd you have 10 or 15 miles to go. I found this out when I had the TTRS installed for a couple of years.

Last edited by ROH ECHT; 01-11-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic

Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodz View Post
So any resolution to this?

I am going Revo stage 4 and everything is done minus the lpfp upgrade. I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.... Can I swap the lpfp with the TTRS pump leave the original control module and wire in the PM3 unit? This is supposed to be a "plug and play" solution just really can't find any confirmation
Here is a diagram from Torquebyte. Hopefully this will clarify how things are hooked up. Yes the OEM controller is still used for signal but not for current anymore. That signal is passed to the Torquebyte unit which replicates the signal and will now supply the current to the pump via its big fat wire connected directly to battery (max current).

Old 01-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #18
Goodz
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
I opted to go PM3 rather than GIAC's dual lpfp.

The PM3 helped raise and keep actual pressure above 4 bar with the tiring oem lpfp still installed. But the PM3 and oem controller works with the oem pump and the TTRS lpfp. You can wait and upgrade it to a TTRS when you see pressures drop below 4 bar. I plan to integrate the TTRS into the oem housing and sender when this happens because of the following.

The PM3 and oem controller will plug in to the TTRS upgrade...you just will not have correct fuel gauge readings with the TTRS sender installed. The readings will be slightly off...meaning it won't read completely full and may run empty when it sayd you have 10 or 15 miles to go. I found this out when I had the TTRS installed for a couple of years.
Are you unable to correct the fuel level issue with vagcom? There is an adaptation to change where the fuel meter sits. Or I'm guessing it's just not calibrated for mkv gti?

I'm too OCD to have my fuel level off, maybe I'll pick up the ttrs pump and another original pump and figure out how to fit it into the OE basket like you. If you have any insight into that process any info would be appreciated.
Revo Stg4//GT3076R//R8 Coils//HPFP Upgrade//TTRS LPFP//PM3 LPFP driver//Tial MVR 44mm WG//Forge Twintercooler//RS4 FPRV//RS4 Injectors//BSH PCV Block off//Custom Intake//H&R SS Springs//3" Turbo back Straight Pipe//AEM AFR Gauge//NewSouth-BoostGauge//Forge UNOS MBC//Dogbone Insert//Forge Short-shifter//Eurojet Motor Mounts//Yellow Fogs//Yellow FTP//Interlaggos Door Cards//Euro Switch//Pioner//JL Audio//

Last edited by Goodz; 01-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:15 AM   #19
Goodz
Touring Car Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
Here is a diagram from Torquebyte. Hopefully this will clarify how things are hooked up. Yes the OEM controller is still used for signal but not for current anymore. That signal is passed to the Torquebyte unit which replicates the signal and will now supply the current to the pump via its big fat wire connected directly to battery (max current).

Awesome, that's how I thought it all worked, sort of just needed the "yeah that's correct" from someone with experience.

Would it be at all possible to take power from my amp or the power cable ran for the amp? Don't feel like running another power cable haha.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:37 AM   #20
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY

I haven't heard of that ability and the senders cannot be swapped. Also, you can tap into your AMP power...see here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cit56QE5UHo

My vid; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssta6Ky1skg