GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear End-Links keep failing

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
My car had the stock sway bar and end links on front and rear up until 123k miles. Went with the 034 Rear Sway Bar and 034 spherical end links at 123k miles. The 034 end-links ended up failing due to the heim joint I believe, rust developed in the bearing within 2 months. I then replaced them with Whiteline ball joint end-links and those lasted 4 months with 4,000 miles driven on them. I heard a squeek in the rear, thought the bushing needed greasing but it turns out the noise is coming from both end-links and the ball joint failed. I hear the noise best when I am going 5 mph or slower in the parking lot over a slightly un-even surface.

Both end-links were connected to the stiffer selection of the sway bar, it has two options, one is 290% stiffer than OEM and the other hole is 215% stiffer than OEM I believe. Are these end-links failing due to the sway bar being too stiff? Mechanic suggested to go strictly with OEM end-links, especially because now I am not that much lower than stock with the koni fsd/eibach pro kit combo.

What end-links are you using if you have an aftermarket rear sway bar?

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
I have the HR RSB in my R32 and I’m running the Meyle links from ECS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I have H&R front and rear swaybars...rear ARB is set to stiffest position and the front to the most flexible position. I have oem links on both now for 93k miles without issue and with the oem links having 152k miles on them. Mine is dropped quite a bit more than yours being at 24" from the ground to the top/center of the fender arch.

How did you determine that you needed adjustable links? I mean how much of an angle were they off in relation to each other...the end link to the swaybar's end? You basically want as near 90° you can, between the end link and the end of the swaybar's end. Or, with the end of the swaybar ending up nearly parallel to the ground. Either way you look at it...the end of the swaybar should end up directly under the top end of the link and near parallel to the ground once both side of the swaybar are connected. Ours is more important to keep it near 90°±3°..as the rear end especially is not a straight down drop. When my bars were installed...I almost bought new adjustable ends, but the installment seemed fine and so I deided to stick with oem links as long as they hold up.

I am sure there are more experienced track drivers out there that could help you with what angle of tolerances you'd want. Some angles do better in, or rather proving, that some preload may be better.

One other thing is that they be being installed incorrectly on the rear...not saying you are doing so, but the joggle they have in them begs the question...if you know what I mean. :thumbsup:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
My car had the stock sway bar and end links on front and rear up until 123k miles. Went with the 034 Rear Sway Bar and 034 spherical end links at 123k miles. The 034 end-links ended up failing due to the heim joint I believe, rust developed in the bearing within 2 months. I then replaced them with Whiteline ball joint end-links and those lasted 4 months with 4,000 miles driven on them. I heard a squeek in the rear, thought the bushing needed greasing but it turns out the noise is coming from both end-links and the ball joint failed. I hear the noise best when I am going 5 mph or slower in the parking lot over a slightly un-even surface.

Both end-links were connected to the stiffer selection of the sway bar, it has two options, one is 290% stiffer than OEM and the other hole is 215% stiffer than OEM I believe. Are these end-links failing due to the sway bar being too stiff? Mechanic suggested to go strictly with OEM end-links, especially because now I am not that much lower than stock with the koni fsd/eibach pro kit combo.

What end-links are you using if you have an aftermarket rear sway bar?

Spherical bearings are for track use or fair weather use and require constant maint. Definately don't wan't to use these on a daily, especially if you live in wet climates and where it snows and they treat roads with salt and sand. Will just rip them up as they are exposed bearings. Rubber or Poly for you will hold up fine and do a great job for you. No surprise that they are falling apart on you. My car is all sphericals all over but I did this knowing I would have to get under there and keep them clean and lubed but my car is track only and will not be driven in wet weather.

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
GIACUSER, yeah I learned spherical end-links the hardway, 034 made it sound like it was absolutely necessary over the phone when I purchased the rear sway bar. I got lucky and 034 failed early and they honored the warranty and gave me the full money back.

ROH ECT, after getting all my money back on the spherical end-links I figured I would do ball joint adjustable end-links, but again those failed, not nearly as fast, but still failed. I ordered a set of OEM end-links, will be putting them in soon. I believe the OEM end-link will resolve the problem. I am also not that low anymore, as I am slightly lower than stock now. I believe aftermarket end-links might just be a marketing scheme, but considering track cars use spherical, I can obviously see some benefits at the track. Anyone reading this, DO NOT PUT SPHERICAL on the car if you daily drive :)