GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK5 Engine swap

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Don't know your facility/abilities/skill set, but a one day swap for an amateur without a shop is overly optimistic in my book. Even if the old engine is already out and you have all needed parts on hand. Keep in mind you still need to "refresh" the "new" engine before it goes in.

Oh, and not sure how you're planning it, but we pulled engine and trans as one unit then swapped trans onto "new" engine outside car. I wouldn't want to try it any other way.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

x2 on taking your time and "refreshing" before installing.
Timing belt and cam chain / tensioner
water pump / thermostat
accessory belt / pulleys
high pressure fuel pump cam follower
diverter valve - get new D type with piston NOT older one with diaphragm

i would check and replace as necessary all turbo hoses (remove and pressure check, tears can be hidden. Same goes for the vacuum hoses. There is at least one that is pretty brittle that is a common issue (brake booster)

These motors with higher mileage tend to have oil leaks in a couple of areas. One is the vacuum pump, which can be rebuilt. The other which is quite difficult / near impossible to replace once motor installed is the oil filter housing assembly. It is plastic and over the years does tend to crack and leak.

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks Mike yes the 5th is a K on the Passat. I've tried a few times to find a good resource on how to ID BPY engines with the VIN but get mixed results, do you know a source that uses the VIN to ID engine type. Id request the info to confirm but its an auction car and you have to be on site to acquire any info they haven't released.

I did notice that the Passat doesn't have the charge pipe that runs from the firewall to the throttle body, this shouldn't be a problem to use pipe from the GTI I would assume
I don't know of a definitive source for ID'ing BPY. Just internet searches, checking multiple sites to confirm each other, etc.

Regarding the charge air pipe, yes, the Passat and GTI are (more or less) interchangeable. You can re-use your GTI one no problem. The GLI that we were working with has the same noisemaker as the GTI which we did NOT want. We used the Passat air pipe which doesn't have the offshoot that runs air to the resonator and then we closed up the resonator opening at the firewall.

-Mike

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I don't know of a definitive source for ID'ing BPY. Just internet searches, checking multiple sites to confirm each other, etc.

Regarding the charge air pipe, yes, the Passat and GTI are (more or less) interchangeable. You can re-use your GTI one no problem. The GLI that we were working with has the same noisemaker as the GTI which we did NOT want. We used the Passat air pipe which doesn't have the offshoot that runs air to the resonator and then we closed up the resonator opening at the firewall.

-Mike

The motor itself will have a stamp on it (little ear coming off the head - visible if you have engine cover off) and it will have BPY stamped into the metal or whatever engine code the motor is.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
That Passat engine is the same as your GTI

It just doesn't have the noisemaker pipe, which most people delete anyways. And if you wanted to keep it, for whatever reason, just swap the throttle body pipe from the GTI motor to the new Passat engine & hook up that noisemaker "plumbing" when it's back in the GTI

oldmanriver

Well I just in after a long day and was preparing to make the drive to NY to physically look over and confirm the Passat engine was good to go. The auction site had it listed as a "run and drive" but I like to see things 1st hand. As I click a series of links I came across some info... apparently you have to have a license or use a broker in NY (Not in PA). As I as typing this I went back to read up on some of the brokers... looks like some will complete an inspection on your behalf to verify the sellers listed info. I'll take a shot in the AM to see if I can catch one on short notice, if it works out I wouldn't mind paying the broker fees, for the peace of mind, and it allows me to get back after pulling the GTI

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

-Mike

The motor itself will have a stamp on it (little ear coming off the head - visible if you have engine cover off) and it will have BPY stamped into the metal or whatever engine code the motor is.

Pic below shows the stamp on an Audi motor, same on VW.

oldmanriver

Made some progress yesterday and man did they put some of those harness connections in some tough spots! Mike you were right I was a little optimistic with my thoughts of swapping in a day. I have a better idea of what I'm up against from yesterdays work.

Since I'm keeping the Trans is it necessary to remove it or preferred for convenience?

When I swapped the ICE on my Prius... (yes I drive Prius) no need to give me a hard time my kid does a good enough job! The book called for it to be dropped out the bottom of the vehicle Engine and Trans together. Those without a lift disassembled a good portion of the car to take it out the side and some took it out the top with the Trans left in the bay which I did... it worked but there was very little room on the way out.

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't want to try separating engine and trans inside car and definitely would be nervous trying to mate them back together.

Take off the front of the car (bumper cover, grill, wheels, axles, inside fender liners, bumper, radiator, intercooler, etc). Leave ac compressor and condensor in car but move to side over or next to the fender.

Leave engine and trans mated together and bring straight out front (may need to angle/turn a bit to get it out between the fenders).

Here's a before and after...

oldmanriver

Thanks guys! I got it on the ground today... The biggest time consumers today were unbolting the exhaust and that damn retaining clip for the shift cable!

I have a load leveler but I only had a limited amount of time to put in today, so since I only saw 1 eyelet on the L front and no other place for hooks or chains, I uses a seat belt strap through the engine mount bracket on the R rear... it worked but I would rather use the leveler on the way back in. Any suggestions where to place some chains?

FloridaNative

Passed Driver's Ed
I believe I used the alternator mount to lift on the passenger side. In this pic you can see a quick link still in place from where I was lifting the engine. I may have had to put a large bolt through the alt mount and attached the quick link to that with fender washers. The two points I think I used are circled in red.

-Mike

oldmanriver

Hey Mike sorry for the delay, I had a few things come up. The mission for a engine ended yesterday, I pick up my donor vehicle tomorrow (08 Passat Lux) I'm curious how fast I can pull it this being the second time around! Do you know if there is a source within regarding compatibility between Trannys... the engine and trans are good from the Passat, so i was going to keep it together if possible. Hows your Jetta holding up?