GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PDI

JoeyGTI

Touring Car Champion
So what actually occurs during PDI after the GTI arrives on a ship from overseas ?? My car is delayed at the port during this process. My salesman told me even when the GTI's arrive from Germany many minor trim pieces of the car are actually placed in the trunk to be installed when the car arrives at the port.

An example is the front grill area where the fog lights are. Those pieces of plastic get installed during PDI. I found this sorta strange. Why doesn't the car come complete from the factory ????? :iono:

Last edited:

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
JoeyGTI said:
An example is the front grill area where the fog lights are. Those pieces of plastic get installed during PDI. I found this sorta strange. Why doesn't the car come complete from the factory ????? :iono:

Yea my front grill area near the fogs were put in during PDI. My left one was sticking out ever so slightly. So I looked and the screw instead of being on top and holding the plastic was all the way through. When the guy was using his power screwdriver...he just keep going. In the process he also made the hole bigger. So today I went to my buddy at VW here in town and asked for a bigger screw to hold the area in place. No problem. Easy fix. Now both sides sit nice and tight.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
bro u would be suprised how much of your car is put together during PDI

but it really depends on the car company too...some put together the whole car almost(may VW is that way?) and some only badge and clean the car and get it ready for ground transportation to the dealer

Fuzzbear

Fat bastard
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
Alot of exterior pieces are put on at Port.. Spoilers..Body Kits.. As well as some accessories like auto rearview mirrors and some stereo equipment.. I really depends on the manufacturer.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
The Mother Fuckers drilled license plate holes in my front bumper. I could have waited another 3 months from March to get the car I wanted with all the options, and no license plate holes. I decided to let it go, and start my relationship with my baby as soon as possible.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
MHS216 said:
The Mother Fuckers drilled license plate holes in my front bumper. I could have waited another 3 months from March to get the car I wanted with all the options, and no license plate holes. I decided to let it go, and start my relationship with my baby as soon as possible.

thats a dealer thing...a dealer PDI thing if in your state u needs both front and back license plates

i think the OP was more curious with the port PDI stuff

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
yea we most people have heard the term PDI...but most people dont realized that some cars go through at most 3 PDI's

the first one most of the time is right when the car comes off the boat..if it came from another country

the 2nd sometimes happens...all depending on the car make....happens after the car gets off the railroad and sits in the railroad lot for the truck transports to come pick up the car...this one happens alot with american made cars...being they are shipped via railroad

and the last PDI a get will get is when it gets to the dealer...most of the time this PDI takes off all the blue or white film that is on the car along with all the styro-foam that protects the car on the truck

so yea your license plate getting drilled was a dealer PDI thing

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
MHS216 said:
I see, thanks for taking the time to edumacate me.

not a problem bro...ive grown up around car dealers...my father has been in the car buisness for almost 30 years...anywhere from a parts counter person from a GM of a BMW,Porsche,Rolls Royce and Bentley dealer in Miami

so i tend to know alittle too much about car dealers...lol

JoeyGTI

Touring Car Champion
Thanks for the info Freek. But I really still don't understand why small pieces of trim simply can't be completed at the factory ?? What is the reason for this ?????

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
JoeyGTI said:
Thanks for the info Freek. But I really still don't understand why small pieces of trim simply can't be completed at the factory ?? What is the reason for this ?????

its prolly the simple reason that its too time consuming...the factory to say the least is a tad bit busy building the rest of the car

and its even worse with our GTI cuz they are pretty damn expensive to produce already