GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Other maintenance during carbon cleaning?

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Next week I am dropping the car off at Elite motorsports for carbon cleaning, walnut blaster method. Car is at 125k miles, never had the cleaning before. They will also be putting in new OEM injectors, new cam follower(been Stage 2+ for 12k miles) and an oil change.

Anything else that I should have them do while they are doing this maintenance?

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
Decided to reply with the before and after of the valve cleaning...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
It had terrible cold starts, some random hiccups, especially when coming down from high RPM's to low RPM's. It is now driving more stable and I noticed a more fluid throttle control from 2-3.5k RPM along with a slight gain in power in that range. The shop said they were absolutely disgusting, I was shocked to see how filthy they were.

irishbaz

Im planning to get this done shortly, did you notice any MPG gains? I have a similar year/miles car and Ive had a few misfires recently so Im hoping the clean out will improve general day to day.

When you say cold starts were you finding the car took a few turns to start or just sluggish on cold start?

crazylegs

Passed Driver's Ed
For the cold starts, the car would either start sluggish or once in a while take a few turns. Will be replacing the battery in May and I also might go back to the regular black OEM coilpacks from those red R8 coilpacks.

Edit: Forgot about the MPG, that is very difficult for me to detect now. I have changed jobs about 6 months ago, I used to drive 25-30 minutes to work and would have 29-29.5MPG. Now I drive 15 minutes to work but it is all side streets and traffic lights, so at the moment I average 19.5MPG. When I take it on a highway drive I do average 29-31 MPG, but I do not notice a tremendous difference. The issue is that this data is not reliable as I do not highway drive it too often anymore.

irishbaz

Yeah Im thinking the walk me home lights has a negative impact on my battery as well as the heated seats in the winter. My battery is about 4 yrs old and i do mainly short runs so im expecting to have to get a new battery this summer also.

Why are you planning to replace the r8 coils?

I did my plugs and coils recently and there was a noticeable difference in day to day running. I also threw in some millers extra cool recently and it seems to have improved the running in traffic.