GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track days: Mod my MkV, or, get a new car?

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
I just saw this thread, but I'd say just get an S2000/E36M3. I'm not saying get it because it'll be faster with less work (Even though it will), but chances are you will have more fun with it.

An S2K with simple tires, wheels, race pads, fluid, aero, and alignment will embarrass some pretty nice cars. There is less to go wrong, and the motors are basically bulletproof. Just my opinion but I always say get the right tool for the job.

miamirice

Ready to race!
I just saw this thread, but I'd say just get an S2000/E36M3. I'm not saying get it because it'll be faster with less work (Even though it will), but chances are you will have more fun with it.

An S2K with simple tires, wheels, race pads, fluid, aero, and alignment will embarrass some pretty nice cars. There is less to go wrong, and the motors are basically bulletproof. Just my opinion but I always say get the right tool for the job.

Agree with you. I have had both cars set up for track use. The e36 is a great dual duty car with a good back seat and plenty of trunk and a torquey motor. However the S2000 will make you a better driver and is far more engaging to drive. It has such a super narrow torque band and pulls hardest right into redline, just look at the torque graph, so you are very busy on the gear box and that's fun. I am currently building a race s2000. If you have never driven a spec Miata, I really think that's the way to go. They are a riot, they are cheap, and they will make you a great driver.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I tracked a MK5 for a number of years, got it into fast company but spent over $12k in mods all told.

E36 M3, not as fast down the straights, but a few simple mods get it handling as well or better. Koni's, springs, sway bars and swapped strut mounts are all it takes.

If I fit in the S2000 I'd probably have one.

Last edited:

telaio

Ready to race!
I found Advan Neova AD08R to be very much superior to Michelin PSS on the track and street thanks to much stiffer sidewalls. Great amount of grip and decent resistance to wear (I've had them inverted on the rims after ~5 track events).

People seem to like WALK on the track, can anyone confirm that the difference is noticeable? Since I already have the Passat lower arms I'll get the SuperPro asymmetrical bushes - they will do the same job as WALK, right?