GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Newb to FPS, what you recommend for offline play?

JanK

WilltherealFLATTIREplease
Car(s)
09' MkV GTI
IMO cod 4 is the last best call of duty. Splinter cell is one of my favorite stealth gunning 3rd person shooter, so is assassins creed, but not a lot of gunplay here, but a lot of sweet sweet use of blades and cool-ass moves.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
I played the first Far Cry for a bit and it was fun, my concern is that I could miss something by skipping it and 2 and going directly to FC3, I know that in some franchises if you skip one of the games you miss a lot of references on the later games.

As near as I can can tell, there is ZERO connection between this story and any of the previous games. This game 100% stands on its own. Everyone has different tastes and I'm just some random guy on the internet, but you really ought to vet this recommendation - check the reviews, check the metacritic score. FC3 is *the* game you're looking for if you are after an engaging, profoundly good single player FPS experience.

So far, I think BF3 is going to be the choice, mostly because it's $20 and maybe when I upgrade my internet connection it would be playable to some degree in multiplayer.
:thumbsup: For what it's worth, I scored a second copy of FC3 (to gift to a friend) for $19.99 on Amazon - it's cheap too.

I played the demo of Spec Ops, it was too short to judge, my brother hates it with fiery passion, not sure why :biggrin:

It can be VERY frustrating - the game mechanics aren't that great. The story completely sells this one - in a way, it is a commentary on all modern military FPSs. It's worth trying, but I doubt it would be a good fit for what you're looking for.

Any thoughts on Modern Warfare 3?
I remember playing the first one for a couple days before Forza came along (to take my soul and spare time) and it was awesome.
Also, Would I be missing much if I skip MW1 and MW2 and go directly to the third?

You wouldn't be missing much at all. I played the first 3 and then got off the train - they weave the story together using a few characters, but it's all very shallow and loose.

But... This game is the antithesis of what you asked for. It is very fast paced. You run around for 45 seconds, kill someone, get killed, respawn, rinse-and-repeat. The story is dismal - if you aren't 13, up past your bed time, and jacked up on Mountain Dew and Cheetos, I'm not sure how you might find it the least bit engaging (sorry, that will probably offend someone - but it needs to be said anyway). I die a little inside every time "Modern Warfare" and "strategy" are used in the same sentence - I suppose we can find a simulacrum of strategy in anything if one looks hard enough... I would *highly* recommend you skip all that and look elsewhere.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
As near as I can can tell, there is ZERO connection between this story and any of the previous games. This game 100% stands on its own. Everyone has different tastes and I'm just some random guy on the internet, but you really ought to vet this recommendation - check the reviews, check the metacritic score. FC3 is *the* game you're looking for if you are after an engaging, profoundly good single player FPS experience.

:thumbsup: For what it's worth, I scored a second copy of FC3 (to gift to a friend) for $19.99 on Amazon - it's cheap too.

It can be VERY frustrating - the game mechanics aren't that great. The story completely sells this one - in a way, it is a commentary on all modern military FPSs. It's worth trying, but I doubt it would be a good fit for what you're looking for.

You wouldn't be missing much at all. I played the first 3 and then got off the train - they weave the story together using a few characters, but it's all very shallow and loose.

But... This game is the antithesis of what you asked for. It is very fast paced. You run around for 45 seconds, kill someone, get killed, respawn, rinse-and-repeat. The story is dismal - if you aren't 13, up past your bed time, and jacked up on Mountain Dew and Cheetos, I'm not sure how you might find it the least bit engaging (sorry, that will probably offend someone - but it needs to be said anyway). I die a little inside every time "Modern Warfare" and "strategy" are used in the same sentence - I suppose we can find a simulacrum of strategy in anything if one looks hard enough... I would *highly* recommend you skip all that and look elsewhere.

I concur.

Now since you seem to share similar tastes I will purchase far cry 3. Thanks for that. I don't play much these days so I don't tend to even give many releases a chance. But based on your description it would seem a like a good time waster when I'm not playing bf3 or bfbc2. Skyrim get's played every now and again and I put in a little time on borderlands 2 when I'm traveling since it's installed on my mbp. I'd like another game to run on the laptop and that's where I'd look to play fc3. Now to see if I can run it in osx half way decently...

One other fps single player that might be worth a play through. I seem to recall medal of honor having a good single player, the one that was released around 2 years ago I think. Shit multiplayer but solid single player. I'm sure the game goes for nothing now.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
:thumbsup: Be sure to report back your impressions!

I have both Medal of Honor (2010) and Medal of Honor:Warfighter (2012) - to be honest, neither was too exceptional. IMHO, the story in MoH 2010 was slightly better than Warfighter and both were probably better than any Modern Warfare I've played. I think MoH would appeal most to those who have served and can personally relate to the sacrifice of leaving behind loved ones and this comfortable mode of life - the theme of MoH greatly plays to that. FWIW, I recall MoH 2010 being a glitchy mess - Warfighter is MUCH more polished and looks Battlefield-3-fantastic.

Both are dirt cheap. I generally don't buy new games, but I snatch up almost everything I'm even remotely interested in when it gets cheap enough and then just burn through the queue as time allows.

I would likely argue that Skyrim is the greatest single player game I've ever experienced; I look upon FC3 as a more "accessible" [casual & w/o the "geek lore"] version of the same experience.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
:thumbsup: Be sure to report back your impressions!

I have both Medal of Honor (2010) and Medal of Honor:Warfighter (2012) - to be honest, neither was too exceptional. IMHO, the story in MoH 2010 was slightly better than Warfighter and both were probably better than any Modern Warfare I've played. I think MoH would appeal most to those who have served and can personally relate to the sacrifice of leaving behind loved ones and this comfortable mode of life - the theme of MoH greatly plays to that. FWIW, I recall MoH 2010 being a glitchy mess - Warfighter is MUCH more polished and looks Battlefield-3-fantastic.

Both are dirt cheap. I generally don't buy new games, but I snatch up almost everything I'm even remotely interested in when it gets cheap enough and then just burn through the queue as time allows.

I would likely argue that Skyrim is the greatest single player game I've ever experienced; I look upon FC3 as a more "accessible" [casual & w/o the "geek lore"] version of the same experience.

Perhaps I'm thinking of another title and not moh. Seem to recall one of my sons going on about the single player campaign...must have ben something else.

As for skyrim. I agree with you again. It's very good. I've got tons of time into that one, I tend to take a few months off at a time from each of my go to games simply because I need to adjust to the timing and mechanics so much between them. I'm married with property all over the place in skyrim, been playing the same character for a long time. I was kind of hoping that fc3 would be a similar experience in that way, so it's awesome that you draw the same comparison. I'm sure I'll miss my bow and my horse a little though.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
You will get a new bow - and a couple of different optics and arrow types to choose from.

The horse is gone, but I was content to trade Shadowmere and Arvak for a wingsuit and parachute - it's crazy-fun to base-jump off the side of a huge mountain and speed down towards your next objective just a few feet off the ground. :headbang:

You won't be able to "live in" FC3 as much as Skyrim - time spent on Rook Island is more of a journey in exploration and discovery, whereas Skyrim becomes a mode of life. It's still an incredibly compelling gaming experience.

I can't believe how far video games have come since banging out a few levels of Mario on a NES... :eyebulge:

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
You will get a new bow - and a couple of different optics and arrow types to choose from.

The horse is gone, but I was content to trade Shadowmere and Arvak for a wingsuit and parachute - it's crazy-fun to base-jump off the side of a huge mountain and speed down towards your next objective just a few feet off the ground. :headbang:

You won't be able to "live in" FC3 as much as Skyrim - time spent on Rook Island is more of a journey in exploration and discovery, whereas Skyrim becomes a mode of life. It's still an incredibly compelling gaming experience.

I can't believe how far video games have come since banging out a few levels of Mario on a NES... :eyebulge:

Thanks again man! I'll try to remember to let you know what I think. But I am stoked to grab this tonight when I leave work.
As for the nes...how about atari 2600 or colecovision? I've spent several fortunes over the years on games. I've about had them all. It certainly has come a long way,and to me, skyrim is one of the most perfect examples of this. As a long time rpg fan it sure as hell provides more depth than phantasy star or early ff:smile: It's mostly my two sons that play now but I still steal some time here and there.

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
Dumbass me ordered Duke Nukem Forever while trying to figure out if a discount code still worked...

It didn't, I ended up paying $15 for Duke Nukem Forever when I could have bought it for 4 bucks locally:clap: Toys'r'Us said they can't do shit to cancel the order because being stupid it's not a good enough reason (they din't actually used those words).

On the bright side, Battlefield 3 is free now on the PSN, I'm going to download it as soon as I get home, also GT6 Demo/Academy 2013

xatnys360

Ready to race!
Duke Nukem Forever - a truly unfortunate game. :barf:

BF3 is indeed free on PS+ (this week only?) - a few of my buddies downloaded it last night and we fired it up. This should provide a much needed fresh infusion of new blood to Battlefield 3 - it had gotten to the point that nearly everyone who played were colonels, but I saw a LOT of new, low-rank players last night.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Duke Nukem Forever - a truly unfortunate game. :barf:

BF3 is indeed free on PS+ (this week only?) - a few of my buddies downloaded it last night and we fired it up. This should provide a much needed fresh infusion of new blood to Battlefield 3 - it had gotten to the point that nearly everyone who played were colonels, but I saw a LOT of new, low-rank players last night.

And now I don't have to go searching the kids rooms for one of the two bf3 disks when I want to play.

Duke should have stayed in the 90's

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Far cry3 is pretty f'ing rad btw. Picked it up along with blood dragon last week and have been playing since.

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
I kind of liked the DNF demo, I know it's not up to par with modern games, but either am I :iono: I still play the original Half-Life and Doom 3 from time to time.

On a better note, I also took advantage of the super Sale on xbox live and got Crysis and the Orange Box for $5 each. Only had time to play a bit of Half-Life 2 so far, have been really engaged with Tomb Raider and BF3 :eyebulge:

BTW. GT6 is effing awesome, but everyone on the leaderboards put me to shame.. best I can do is hover around the top 10,000 lol

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
BF3 is pretty much as good as it's going to get as far as Multiplayer FPS's until BF4 comes out.

Check out Planet Side 2 on steam, besides BF3 its one of the best online FPS's I've ever played and it's free. https://www.planetside2.com/