GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Regional Forums > Australia
Ringer Racing

Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #23
Robby_jai
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Audi S3 & Audi Q5
thanks for all the useful info.

will look into everything suggested thanks boys :)
Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 AM   #24
bj240z

Drives: GTI Pirelli MKV
Quote:
Originally Posted by wut_CEL View Post
yea, such a shame you drive a car like its supposed to be driven..

X 2!
GTI Pirelli, APR, Tint, Rear Parking Sensors, Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads(Front Only), Whiteline Anti Lift Kit, Whiteline F/R 24mm Sway Bars, Front SS Braided Lines, Deleted all Stone Shields, Race Brake Fluid Done
bj240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #25
johno
Volkswagen Autoliebhaber

Drives: VW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj240z View Post
X 2!
yes hmmm the S3 was built to be a track car. i apologise for my narrow-mindedness.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #26
simple_man
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: .:R32 MKV
There is one kid on VWvortex (from Japan I think) who had one made for him. Try to search archived posts. He had HPA turbo kit installed.

Generally I am told DSG's operating oil pressure far pass the point of what standard oil coolers can take. You need specially made cooler, pipes, adapters and know where to tap... Or some how remove factory heat exchanger and replace it with low pressure cooler. This way you loose transmission heating future done ny engine coolant.

Mounting additional water radiator to cool engine coolant before DSG heat exchanger will cause DSG to take MUCH longer to reach it's full operating temperature with coming from that adverse effects.

I read, that part of the problem is your coolant temperatures go well pass 90c (read your vagcom). If you can improve engine coolant cooling, than it will help DSG a bit. So you need ether larger/better radiator or use chemical cooling (water injection).
simple_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #27
Bizi
Jetta with Rice

Drives: Jetta MY07 TDI DSG w. leather
Send a message via Skype™ to Bizi
I suppose it isn't done yet, but I wonder if we will see series racing with dsg-equipped cars one day?

For example, the US Jetta TDI series for your drivers or a Porsche series for older gentlemen and ladies. Maybe we will see this with Nissan GTR-series racing, too. :)

Perhaps Robby could pioneer the tuning of dsg boxes for cool running in trackwork!

Some drives and wine finds here: www.winedriving.com blog AU/NZ wine country
Bizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 AM   #28
Maverick
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 08 GTI DSG Leather CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizi View Post
I suppose it isn't done yet, but I wonder if we will see series racing with dsg-equipped cars one day?

For example, the US Jetta TDI series for your drivers or a Porsche series for older gentlemen and ladies. Maybe we will see this with Nissan GTR-series racing, too. :)

Perhaps Robby could pioneer the tuning of dsg boxes for cool running in trackwork!
Volkswagen raced DSG siroccos at the Nuremberg 24 hour race and finished two cars in the top 10. The only gearbox mods were heavy duty clutch packs. You can see the stock DSG cooler in pics at the bottom of the page below. You could I guess make this cooler bigger?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3855643
Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #29
POLARBEAR666
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Golf GT TSI
If you want to improve engine coolant cooling then just do the polarbear radiator mod.

On another car

My coolant temp struggles to go past 87'c when before it would roar to 89 and the fans would come on.

*Disclaimer: nothing I say should be relied upon // Click the links for pictures
Dynolicious 6.89 to 100kph 0.8g max 143kw// KW V1 Coilovers// Custom Intake// Deleted Muffler// Deka ETX18L battery 8.2kg 720CCA// Weight Reduction ~50kg
POLARBEAR666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #30
10d
Touring Car Champion

Drives: CW '08 GTI
Rob, here's some info I've got from Guy @ APR.
ARC in Japan is experimenting with the DSG cooler without much luck.
If you do happen to stumble upon something, please let me know too.
My car was fine on the last track day, cause I just have a DSG oil change.
I think this will help with the problem, but would be an expensive exercise to change oil everytime you track the car....bummer....

BTW, Did you manage to get a new wheel?

FYI, moomoonel is also building a new track car.
10d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #31
POLARBEAR666
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Golf GT TSI
What a about directing air from the front of the car to the heat exchanger/dsg cooler on top of the box.

I have no factory airbox or battery and can see my engine mounts and the exchanger directly, I might whack some pipe so that it is blasted with cold air.

Thoughts anyone?

*Disclaimer: nothing I say should be relied upon // Click the links for pictures
Dynolicious 6.89 to 100kph 0.8g max 143kw// KW V1 Coilovers// Custom Intake// Deleted Muffler// Deka ETX18L battery 8.2kg 720CCA// Weight Reduction ~50kg
POLARBEAR666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #32
simple_man
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: .:R32 MKV
Since the beginning of the tread it was realized that adding oil cooler instead of OEM heat exchanger can be a bad idea due to increase in cc (capacity) of the volume of pressurized oil. May upset machatronics.

The good alternative seem to be and additional thermostated/controlled coolant radiator instaled before DSG heater. This way you still get DSG oil warm up by coolant flowing thru the engine, followed by DSG cooling by coolant.

Part of the issue that on track engine coolant get to 120C, not helping to cool DSG much as it runs over 130C itself. If you can get coolant back to 100C mark, this will allow DSG to dump heat back to cooling system.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #33
swenak
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: MKV GTI Edition 30, DSG
Old theme, but if you have interest, try to contact dealer for bigger OEM DSG cooler. I have information, that oil temp is about 10C down. I mean, that P/N is 02E409061E, it is not in ETKA, but it exist ;)
Attached Images

swenak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #34
0-60Motorsports
Since 1998

Drives: BMW M3 E46 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by swenak View Post
Old theme, but if you have interest, try to contact dealer for bigger OEM DSG cooler. I have information, that oil temp is about 10C down. I mean, that P/N is 02E409061E, it is not in ETKA, but it exist ;)
I tried to track down this oil cooler PN but the dealer says even the factory does not have any stock of it and the new part is 02E409061D.

I wonder if its the same size, bigger DSG oil cooler. If anyone knows any alternative PNs in 2018 let me know please.
0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote