GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So you want to start modifying?

javaride

Okay, so I'm an un-educated newbie with limited autocross experience, (20 years ago), just bought an 07' GTI w/DSG, running alot of interstate. I'd like to upgrade some to autocross in the future, but can't really sacrifice too much mpg due to the highway time, any suggestions, what to do first, bang for the buck, etc. Thanks for any help!! This is a great thread!!!

soze

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Something Else
Okay, so I'm an un-educated newbie with limited autocross experience, (20 years ago), just bought an 07' GTI w/DSG, running alot of interstate. I'd like to upgrade some to autocross in the future, but can't really sacrifice too much mpg due to the highway time, any suggestions, what to do first, bang for the buck, etc. Thanks for any help!! This is a great thread!!!

Probably want to start in this thread.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI

Suspension. These cars have more than enough power but not enough suspension to use it all.

A good set of tires will make a huge difference. I'm on Pilot Super Sports. They have a 340 treadwear rating so you won't need a new set every year and they're quiet and comfortable on the road. When I went from the OEM Continental all seasons to these I flew through corners without slowing where I used to be on the brakes.

A rear sway bar will help the rear end rotate. Depending on your budget you can do Koni Yellows and stiffer springs or adjustable coilovers. The Koni's are a very good affordable option, adjustable coilovers can be very pricey, just depends on what you want to spend. If you're going to be running tight autocross courses a Whiteline Anti Lift Kit is a good upgrade also, it'll eliminate wheel hop and let you power out of corners better.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion

The track day/racing part of the forum is awesome and you should check that out when you can. Id say these are the MUST do things to get the most out of AutoX... (Though you should build you car based on the class you are shooting for)

1. Rear Sway Bar
2. Tires
3. Suspension, Coilovers/cup kit/Springs + Koni Yellows
4. Brake fluid/Pads

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
V1.3 7/26/15 updated with cheap K04 DIY

It's pretty much a guide to get around over paying for a name-brand kit. Enjoy!

Jkmelott

Car(s)
06 gti
Thanks so much for this I'm new to the import game. I have been modding a fixbosy mustang for the last year and just got my mkv gti. This really helps me know how to go about modding this thing

Yordi Koning

Hi there,

I want to mod my Golf GTI from 2008, but I can't and won't do it myself. So I'm thinking about bringing my baby here for tuning, but I'm living in Holland for a short while, that's why I'm posting here. I'm doubting to get a Stage 1 or Stage 2 tuning. Can you help me out here guys?

stxckhlmsyndrm

I have a 2007 stock GTI and I want to start doing some basic mods starting with an APR tune. Just curious what would be a good next step after doing the tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayorga_1404

APR stage 2 questions

I'm fairly new to this forum and was wondering if you need to have the APR intake and APR downpipe in order to go APR stage 2 or could you use an intake and exhaust from other brands/manufacturer's? I was also wondering if a stage 1 clutch is good enough to hold the power of APR 2+ or should I go stage 2 on the clutch.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
You need a downpipe, and it does not have to be APR's.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
I'm fairly new to this forum and was wondering if you need to have the APR intake and APR downpipe in order to go APR stage 2 or could you use an intake and exhaust from other brands/manufacturer's? I was also wondering if a stage 1 clutch is good enough to hold the power of APR 2+ or should I go stage 2 on the clutch.

They want you to do that cause it returns more $,$$$ to them. You could certainly use a high flow filter in the air box & less expensive downpipe with it.