GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad wheel bearing [VIDEO]

JonnyBigBoss

Passed Driver's Ed
So yesterday while driving home from my Sister's house I began to hear a grinding noise coming from the front axle/wheel area. It turns out it was one of my wheel bearings had gone bad.

I figured I'd share my footage of the problem in case any of you ever come across it. If you do, make sure you get it fixed right away. It can have dire consequences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBSZ478MY-4

tjlilman

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a wheel bearing go out on my mk4. Almost failed on me when I took it in, wheel practically fell off when they put it on the lift. If I ever think a wheel bearing is going I am instantly replacing it. Can be really dangerous if it fails.

JonnyBigBoss

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a wheel bearing go out on my mk4. Almost failed on me when I took it in, wheel practically fell off when they put it on the lift. If I ever think a wheel bearing is going I am instantly replacing it. Can be really dangerous if it fails.

Looking back at me driving on the freeway, I am sincerely glad my car held up. Long live the GTI!

never had a wheel bearing go, but i do recall with no fondness limping home at <40mph over my 38 mile commute with the passenger CV on my Mk4 going thump thump thump.

four-way flashers the whole time. Joy.

Everyone told me it would be $500+. Clegg Automotive in Orem UT (not to be confused with clegg car care around the corner) had me out the door for $420. Did both axles, and did a great job.