GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Light!!

nellaz31

Car(s)
VW Rabbit 07
Since last week when ever I pressed or floor on the gas pedal up to 4000 RPM less than one minute my EPC light came on. It happened again this morning when I was about to drop off my car at VW Fairfax for my 40,000 miles service. My car turn off by itself even the battery light came on and when I started it again it was still on and my car didn't have power at all. Seems like it went to like a limp mode. I waited for a while about like 4 minutes and I turned back my car on, the light wasn't there anymore. I told the VW people about it and they checked it. They told me there is nothing wrong with it after they took it for a drive and floor it as well. This is weird. They also told me if this happens again just leave the light on light like that. Which doesn't make sense where if i leave it like that of course the light is not going to be there after a while.

What should I do people? I need help.

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
I was going to make a thread about what just happened to me but found your thread instead--"search" ftw.

Here is what happened to me:
1. I was in the acceleration lane and needed to accelerate fast due to traffic. I floored it--I go to grab the next gear and BAM..I lose all power.
2. Car won't rev passed 30k rpms
3. EPC Light came on and ESP (traction control).
4. ESP will not cut back on/off
5. I get to my destination. I cut the car off and back on--car dies. I turn it over again, it starts--rough idle--the EPC turned off, then CEL came on--ESP stayed on.

Took it to the dealership and it was diagnosed as having an intermittent issue with the throttle body. Part is on order and will be replaced next week. Errors were cleared--car is back to normal.

Last edited:

krayzie089

Ready to race!
I was going to make a thread about what just happened to me but found your thread instead--"search" ftw.

1. I was in the acceleration lane and needed to accelerate fast due to traffic. I floored it--I go to grab the next gear and BAM..I lose all power.
2. Car won't rev passed 3k rpms
5. I get to my destination. I cut the car off and back on--car dies. I turn it over again, it starts--rough idle--the EPC turned off, then CEL came on--ESP stayed on.

Took it to the dealership and it was diagnosed as having an intermittent issue with the throttle body. Part is on order and will be replaced next week. Errors were cleared--car is back to normal.

yeah i had that same problem with my throttle body about a year ago.For me it was a problem with the wiring harness that travels from my gas pedal to the throttle body. Took the dealership about a weeks worth of trial and error to figure it out too. Good luck man

krayzie089

Ready to race!
Since last week when ever I pressed or floor on the gas pedal up to 4000 RPM less than one minute my EPC light came on. It happened again this morning when I was about to drop off my car at VW Fairfax for my 40,000 miles service. My car turn off by itself even the battery light came on and when I started it again it was still on and my car didn't have power at all. Seems like it went to like a limp mode. I waited for a while about like 4 minutes and I turned back my car on, the light wasn't there anymore. I told the VW people about it and they checked it. They told me there is nothing wrong with it after they took it for a drive and floor it as well. This is weird. They also told me if this happens again just leave the light on light like that. Which doesn't make sense where if i leave it like that of course the light is not going to be there after a while.

What should I do people? I need help.

Next time it happens do not try to reset the the EPC light, leave it on as told. The dealership will just say everything is ok if there is nothing for them to scan. Its frustrating because they usually know what the issue is, but they will not do any warranty work unless they see a light on.

HondaSlayer

rally car wannabe
Car(s)
09 BMP GTI
my epc light came on a few times after I err....well ya know drove the shit out of my car. stupid shit'll get you run over if you don't notice it come on. Anyways, its like a ghost! If it comes on again drive it to the dealership! I hope I never see mine again.

TwinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
United Grey GTI '09
I've been having similar issues with my car. I have APR stage 1 and love it but it seems to be giving me a lot of trouble.

I had the same issues a while back, I took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing my whole ECU. Bye Bye APR. Fast forward a few months.

I get APR reinstalled in my car and after two weeks my car is throwing up engine lights, EPC and even battery lights again.

Took it to AutoZone and they told me there was a throttle body issue.
I don't want to take it back to the dealer because they said if I reinstalled APR my warranty would be void *cough*Bullshit**cough*

Is the APR the problem or is it throttle body?

JaySki

Ready to race!
yeah i had that same problem with my throttle body about a year ago.For me it was a problem with the wiring harness that travels from my gas pedal to the throttle body. Took the dealership about a weeks worth of trial and error to figure it out too. Good luck man

I had the exact same problem. Warranty Work.

krayzie089

Ready to race!
I've been having similar issues with my car. I have APR stage 1 and love it but it seems to be giving me a lot of trouble.

I had the same issues a while back, I took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing my whole ECU. Bye Bye APR. Fast forward a few months.

I get APR reinstalled in my car and after two weeks my car is throwing up engine lights, EPC and even battery lights again.

Took it to AutoZone and they told me there was a throttle body issue.
I don't want to take it back to the dealer because they said if I reinstalled APR my warranty would be void *cough*Bullshit**cough*

Is the APR the problem or is it throttle body?

Im sure its your throttle body because ive been running APR stage 1 since last june with no problems once so ever. Clocked over 15k miles with oem DV and PVC still kicking. Now i have 41k on the ticker and its still fine.

TwinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
United Grey GTI '09
Yeah that's what I think too, it just seems weird that when the APR was removed I didn't have any issue for two months. After two weeks of having the APR reinstalled I started having issues again.

Spoke with Chris from APR and he told me to take it to the dealer and ultimately that's what I'm gonna need to do but I'd like to get some more opinions first.

Mataleao9380

Ready to race!
Yeah--holy ****--it happened again but this time it almost made me **** my pants. I was on the acceleration lane once again, but this time I had just merged in when my car decided to go into hard limp mode--so from 60 to 40 to 20 in a matter of seconds--cars honking swerving behind me..eek. Car wouldnt rev passed 2000 rpms.

I had to pull over fast--I shut it off-turn it back on cel-epc-esc all on--idle sounded like i was driving a tractor--boost gauge showing 10 in HG. Turned it on off a few times--same issue.

I decided to limp it to the next exit. Popped the hood-disconnected the battery (read this trick on the forum somwhere)--turned it over--back to normal idle and 20 in hg (EPC off, Cel on ESC on).

Made it to the dealership fine. Argh.

VW_gti_09

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 vw canywhite gti
this is happening to me now too tsi engine taking it in this friday (im a 4 hr drive from the nearest dealer)

EDGEMKV

Legen-dary

2. Car won't rev passed 30k rpms

What part did you order? Did you have the throttle body replaced or was it something else that is located on the throttle body? (sensor, etc..)

JackMiracle

Car(s)
2009 GTI
Next time it happens do not try to reset the the EPC light, leave it on as told. The dealership will just say everything is ok if there is nothing for them to scan. Its frustrating because they usually know what the issue is, but they will not do any warranty work unless they see a light on.

I went in to do an oil change, and the engine light was on. It's been on for about a week and half, with the random EPC light thrown into the mix. So i was figuring the mechanic will turn on the car when they move it, and then do the check. So it turns out my whole throttle body is being replaced, under warranty. I hope this sorts out that damn EPC light too. I hate 'safe mode' in my car! But the thing is, VW needs to see that light. Use VW towing and get it to them in that condition!

I'll update everyone with the complete work list when i pick it up today. All i know, they said the estimated time would be 4-5 hours to fix the issue. I'm glad that's not coming out of my pocket !

VW_gti_09

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 vw canywhite gti
so i got it to the dealer, and yup...it was the throttle body...epc light came on twice and once the car shut off on me...funny thing is is the check engine never came on only the epc light but it was the throttle body and not everything is running fine! :) gotta love that factory warranty