GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jay's Mk5 Rabbit Beater/Daily - That I Said I Wasn't Going To Mod. Yeah Right.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So I did some research on this problem Jay, first thing to check is your fuses. There's 2 fuses associated with the steering rack that are somewhat common to go, could be a simple issue. As for the ABS module, highly unlikely the module itself failed since you're not an 09. There's a chance you could get the module reprogrammed at the dealership and fix that issue.

When you come over tomorrow bring your vagcom and let's see what the actual codes are.

Well.... I found the problem while I was swapping wheels with the racecar.... It's supposed to be like this right? guise?

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Also I officially don't like this car at all just for the record. Made a big mistake buying it :(

Sorry to hear that. When I decided to take my GTI out of daily duty I was only really interested in Civics or Corollas as my beater.

I ended up finding a 2001 Civic for basically free with a bad trans, swapped in a low mileage trans and been driving it to work for 6 years / 60,000 miles trouble free. I know we like to talk shit about Civics in the VW scene, but damn are they hard to beat for cheap reliable transportation.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Sorry to hear that. When I decided to take my GTI out of daily duty I was only really interested in Civics or Corollas as my beater.

I ended up finding a 2001 Civic for basically free with a bad trans, swapped in a low mileage trans and been driving it to work for 6 years / 60,000 miles trouble free. I know we like to talk shit about Civics in the VW scene, but damn are they hard to beat for cheap reliable transportation.

I agree on that. I used to have a 2004 accord, was a great car. I sold it back to the same guy I bought it from for the same price after driving it for 2 years.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
No new updates other than I managed to get 358 miles from a tank the other day. Very impressive. Car still has all kinds of problems that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

Carson rigged up some wiring on the speed sensor that was broken and the christmas tree is gone. Car drives well again after not having power steering assist or abs all year.

Just popped in to say I've enjoyed reading this thread. For all the previous owner's neglect, I'm glad to see it's running well. I've got 118k on my '08 now, and I'm planning to stick with the Rabbit for a few more years until I can afford something really nice. My headliner is falling apart, so that's 1st on my to-do list, but I may have to try my hand at installing some of mount the upgrades you did.

Thanks again for sharing everything here!

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Just popped in to say I've enjoyed reading this thread. For all the previous owner's neglect, I'm glad to see it's running well. I've got 118k on my '08 now, and I'm planning to stick with the Rabbit for a few more years until I can afford something really nice. My headliner is falling apart, so that's 1st on my to-do list, but I may have to try my hand at installing some of mount the upgrades you did.

Thanks again for sharing everything here!

Heh no problem. My headliner is sagging too around the trim. It's such a pain to replace I will probably leave that one alone. I am looking to pick up a cheap fender and door skin and have my buddy paint them black to match it. Hopefully it's not such an eyesore after that. Mechanically it's doing ok.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I've been hanging in Florida visiting my sister and her Rabbit is in less than pristine condition, including a headline that has almost entirely separated. I really want to replace it but she just doesn't care - she has a bike worth almost as much as the Rabbit that she commutes on so the car mostly just sits 95% of the time. I guess in FL you can do that but up North we sure can't do that because of the weather.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
To replace the side mirror you had to take the whole door apart? Dang. I've taken the mirror covers, mirror, and blinker assemblies off but not the entire assembly. I guess the mirror assembly is buried in the door panels and they need to be removed to get access to the screws and stuff?

Like my sister's mk5 - her entire headliner is like an inverted tent. It's awful.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
To replace the side mirror you had to take the whole door apart? Dang. I've taken the mirror covers, mirror, and blinker assemblies off but not the entire assembly. I guess the mirror assembly is buried in the door panels and they need to be removed to get access to the screws and stuff?

Like my sister's mk5 - her entire headliner is like an inverted tent. It's awful.

Yeah basically have to remove the inside panel in order to run the wire that controls the movement and blinkers. It wasn't all that bad, just thought it would be a bit more accessible. Took maybe 45 min at most start to finish. meh.

The headliner issue makes it feel so cheap on the inside and is a constant reminder that it's a beater.