GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inching closer to the dreaded timing belt replacement...

ShawnDread

I also did the job myself with the help of a friend. Both of us had done basic wrenching, but nothing this big or difficult. It took eight hours, all of a Saturday. I had the one piece cover and the engine mount removal was the hardest part. I didn’t get the two piece replacement but confess that I left a bolt out when replacing the cover.

We were very careful to mark the old belt and both toothed gears before removal. Counted and recounted the belt teeth.

I bought the kit but didn’t use the thermostat parts yet. I followed their how-to as well as the one here that others have used.

I’ll add that my ‘06 had 123,000 miles when we did the job, and the original belt had no signs of wear. Same experience when I did the cam follower—way past due but no signs of wear.

MagicMK

Drag Racing Champion
I also did the job myself with the help of a friend. Both of us had done basic wrenching, but nothing this big or difficult. It took eight hours, all of a Saturday. I had the one piece cover and the engine mount removal was the hardest part. I didn’t get the two piece replacement but confess that I left a bolt out when replacing the cover.

We were very careful to mark the old belt and both toothed gears before removal. Counted and recounted the belt teeth.

I bought the kit but didn’t use the thermostat parts yet. I followed their how-to as well as the one here that others have used.

I’ll add that my ‘06 had 123,000 miles when we did the job, and the original belt had no signs of wear. Same experience when I did the cam follower—way past due but no signs of wear.

That's interesting - thanks. I think my 08 would likely have the two piece cover, but after watching some videos, I've noticed there are definitely some tricks to the installation. It's a testament to the quality of those Conti belts VW used that they go 123K miles and over a decade without incident. You really don't hear too many stories of snapped GTI timing belts... at least in the MKV series.

I have 3 cars, so, I can take my time on the job if I wanted, but I'm only at 90K now, and I have to at least price the cost of the job at a few dealerships... the great thing about the timing belt job is it's mostly all labor. What I mean by that, is that any job that requires expensive VW parts gets marked up a s-load due to the high price of VW dealership parts (the cost of dealer parts is inherently high). The fact that the job is mostly labor, means you at least get to maximize the value of the labor without having to pay some of the extortionist dealership prices on parts. That said, I'm really considering doing the job myself (esp if I keep the car much longer - I have a new GTI as well, so I'm not certain how much longer I'll keep my MKV).

XavierNusum

YouTube Cert Mech
Car(s)
2007 United Grey GTI
This thread has been really helpful to me since I'm planning my first timing belt/water pump replacement over the holidays.

It's interesting that the Blauparts kit has some less desirable parts. I've heard that about ECS but not Blauparts. I honestly think the job will be tough, but very possible with my moderate level of wrenching experience. I have replace the thermostat on my 07' GTI and that was a bugger! After a successful TB replacement, I think I might tackle the intake valve cleaning.

BTW, the local VW specific shop in my area charges $550 for the service and kit. Mind you no specifics are given on what/who's parts they use.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
This thread has been really helpful to me since I'm planning my first timing belt/water pump replacement over the holidays.

It's interesting that the Blauparts kit has some less desirable parts. I've heard that about ECS but not Blauparts. I honestly think the job will be tough, but very possible with my moderate level of wrenching experience. I have replace the thermostat on my 07' GTI and that was a bugger! After a successful TB replacement, I think I might tackle the intake valve cleaning.

BTW, the local VW specific shop in my area charges $550 for the service and kit. Mind you no specifics are given on what/who's parts they use.

I used the Blauparts kit for mine and drove the car for about another 50k miles before I traded it in. I had zero issues related to anything in the kit over those 50k. I have no idea if the contents of the kit have changed in the last few years though.

XavierNusum

YouTube Cert Mech
Car(s)
2007 United Grey GTI
I used the Blauparts kit for mine and drove the car for about another 50k miles before I traded it in. I had zero issues related to anything in the kit over those 50k. I have no idea if the contents of the kit have changed in the last few years though.

That's what I'm used to hearing about Blauparts! I just checked their enhanced kit and it lists a Graf pump which is pictured to have metal propellers. I think I will probably go with them.