GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV


  VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com


 
Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions



Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
dpham00
Modérateur Emeritus
 
dpham00's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 Passat 2.0T;07 GTI 2.0T FSI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,247
PSA for those who want to see GolfMKV in a more family oriented way

We have received a few complaints here and there saying that GolfMKV has some inappropriate material. Perhaps this is due to the policy of where they're viewing the internet, or their own personal beliefs. We respect your concern, and if you are one of these people, then you can disable the signatures and avatars by EDITING THEIR OPTIONS. About half way down the page, you will see a screen like this, and simply uncheck the "Show Signatures" and "Show Avatars" buttons. Then, click on the "Save Settings" button at the bottom of the page.




For those who have issues with profanity, one option is to use a profanity filter, such as this one. I am not recommending this filter by any means, just saying that this is one filter out there. With this filter added, it will replace a majority of the profanity words with "***". You can also add or remove words as you see fit.


http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4175

Here is a sample of GolfMKV, viewed with the filter enabled.

dpham00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Msteadman
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Msteadman's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 3,890
Send a message via AIM to Msteadman
Totally OT, but I just majorly at the three "sample" posts above.

Good to know these options are available.
__________________
DSG, Package 2, Navigation, CD changer, 18" Hufs, 4-Door, UG.
APR Stage 2+ (93 & stock), IC & HPFP; AEM CAI, Milltek TBE, DSG Cooler, AutoMeter boost gauge/NewSouth column pod, Koni FSD struts, Eibach springs, CF hood & grille, Open fogs, Euro .:R32 tails, Smoked side-markers, Tint, Nitto Invo tires, Euro cup-holder & switch. 260 WHP and 310 WTR
Msteadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Nikerey
Darkness
 
Nikerey's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MkV DSG
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 2,532
Send a message via AIM to Nikerey
I dont agree with this approach to the problem. Its very much like cutting off your arm because you got a paper cut.

By turning off Avatars and Sigs your getting rid every avatar and sig when only 20-30% are the problem.
__________________
Blacker is Better
Nikerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
MKvUltra
I'm chasing perfection
 
MKvUltra's Avatar
 
Drives: Low 'n Slow
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thousand Oaks Ca
Posts: 6,600
great idea for people who are using this site at work
__________________
MKvUltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
Genome
Hippest Teacher. Ever.
 
Genome's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 CW 4-Door. GTI. 6Spd.
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SoCal-Irvine/Palos Verdes Estates
Posts: 6,281
Send a message via AIM to Genome
imo people should know that there's innapropriate material on here, its a forum, its bound to happen.
__________________
Sooner or later it all comes crashing down.
Genome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Msteadman
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Msteadman's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 3,890
Send a message via AIM to Msteadman
^True.

Curious, is (or was) there anything saying that this site is family/work/whatever friendly in the first place?

I ask because in another forum I'm a member of (previous car) that is strictly stated. Therefore if anyone use profanity, nudity, etc. it's in direct violation of the forum rules. However I've never seen anything like that stated concerning Golfmkv (other than for actual nudity only), so I don't understand the complaints.

Not the best analogy, but it's like turning on HBO - middle of the day and you get something like "Happy Feet" middle of the night and you get something like "Real Sex".
That's just the reality of it and HBO doesn't claim to be family friendly, so take it or leave it.
__________________
DSG, Package 2, Navigation, CD changer, 18" Hufs, 4-Door, UG.
APR Stage 2+ (93 & stock), IC & HPFP; AEM CAI, Milltek TBE, DSG Cooler, AutoMeter boost gauge/NewSouth column pod, Koni FSD struts, Eibach springs, CF hood & grille, Open fogs, Euro .:R32 tails, Smoked side-markers, Tint, Nitto Invo tires, Euro cup-holder & switch. 260 WHP and 310 WTR
Msteadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
bcze1
You people make me laugh
 
bcze1's Avatar
 
Drives: PQ35 R32
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Here today, gone tomorrow
Posts: 3,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikerey View Post
I dont agree with this approach to the problem. Its very much like cutting off your arm because you got a paper cut.

By turning off Avatars and Sigs your getting rid every avatar and sig when only 20-30% are the problem.
So what? Its not as if avs & sigs are essential to anything. Besides, the other alternative is for this forum to be run like Vortex...no thanks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mose6161 View Post
your all stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mose6161 View Post
i'm an ass
bcze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
dpham00
Modérateur Emeritus
 
dpham00's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 Passat 2.0T;07 GTI 2.0T FSI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikerey View Post
I dont agree with this approach to the problem. Its very much like cutting off your arm because you got a paper cut.

By turning off Avatars and Sigs your getting rid every avatar and sig when only 20-30% are the problem.
Well, it has been discussed between the staff, and although we can't please everyone, we feel that the current rules (for now) is the best way. It allows people the freedom to express themselves, while still accommodating those who want a more conservative forum (for whatever reason).
dpham00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
dpham00
Modérateur Emeritus
 
dpham00's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 Passat 2.0T;07 GTI 2.0T FSI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msteadman View Post
^True.

Curious, is (or was) there anything saying that this site is family/work/whatever friendly in the first place?

I ask because in another forum I'm a member of (previous car) that is strictly stated. Therefore if anyone use profanity, nudity, etc. it's in direct violation of the forum rules. However I've never seen anything like that stated concerning Golfmkv (other than for actual nudity only), so I don't understand the complaints.
At this point, we do not feel that such a strictness is appropriate for this forum. However, even though profanity is allowed, it must be used in moderation. if every other word is a cuss word on every post, then that's over the line.
dpham00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
HoldDaMayo
Leaner and Meaner
 
HoldDaMayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 GTI 5 door
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 1,875
I'm Mike Mayo, and I approve this message.
__________________
GIAC X-File, P-Flo + AEM dryflow Filter
AWE Vent Boost Gauge, BSH Stage 2 PCV, VAGCOM
Koni Sports, Vogtlands 30mm springs, Votex Kit
Dogbone mount insert, VF SS Kit, Open Fog Grills
AWE DP Metal, Eurojet Stage 3 FMIC
HoldDaMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
BlaineWasHere
I brake for apexes!
 
BlaineWasHere's Avatar
 
Drives: Front Rear Sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 26,901
It is the flippin' internet... People need to RELAX!
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Msteadman
Formula 3000 Driver
 
Msteadman's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 3,890
Send a message via AIM to Msteadman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
At this point, we do not feel that such a strictness is appropriate for this forum. However, even though profanity is allowed, it must be used in moderation. if every other word is a cuss word on every post, then that's over the line.
Gotcha
__________________
DSG, Package 2, Navigation, CD changer, 18" Hufs, 4-Door, UG.
APR Stage 2+ (93 & stock), IC & HPFP; AEM CAI, Milltek TBE, DSG Cooler, AutoMeter boost gauge/NewSouth column pod, Koni FSD struts, Eibach springs, CF hood & grille, Open fogs, Euro .:R32 tails, Smoked side-markers, Tint, Nitto Invo tires, Euro cup-holder & switch. 260 WHP and 310 WTR
Msteadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
tasteofink8733
IlluminatiBilderbergNWO
 
tasteofink8733's Avatar
 
Drives: 500+ HP STi
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Philly
Posts: 3,595
Kind of OT but at the same time relevant. I know that a lot of forums have upgraded memberships to allow them to use certain parts of the forums. It would be beneficial for the forum itself to get some extra cash, and im sure that alot of us veteran members would not mind donating like 10 bucks or something for some kind of special privileges.

Also, on TriStateTuners.com they have an option just like you guys created that says something on the lines of "show garbage bin", which is a special off topic forum where you can essentially post anything you want.

The option allows people who are against things like nudity and basically anything NWS a way to filter it out of the forum.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraRed View Post
Neuspeed's for 200 shipped after looking at many pictures of them, i think it will drop the car nicely :)
6/4/07: Epic Quote.
STI Crew Holla

Perfect Condition Bilstein PSS9s F/S. 800 Shipped or willing to work out price picked up. Pm me
tasteofink8733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
Kjyuan
blinded conserving racer
 
Kjyuan's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 UG GTI 2dr. stock
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cali
Posts: 840
Send a message via AIM to Kjyuan
hmm that sucks ya hopefully the profanity and rudeness gets cleaned up
__________________



i must learn to DIY everything!
Kjyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #15
WakeHead
WakeHead
 
WakeHead's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 GTI VR6 / 08 R32 #0146
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
It is the flippin' internet... People need to RELAX!
I couldn't view this forum at work without the avatars and signatures blocked.
__________________
WakeHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
xminusx
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 BM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,562
Send a message via AIM to xminusx
then the check boxes are for you too. Im always on at work (am now actually) and just scroll past their posts, or read quickly.
xminusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
dosbox
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: '08 United Grey GTI
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
It is the flippin' internet...
I've never understood this attitude. Many of the people who like to be crude and rude on forums do so because of the perceived anonymity.

Yet it took all of five seconds to find out that you once drove a Maroon Jeep Cherokee whose license plate ended with 363
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
xminusx
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 BM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,562
Send a message via AIM to xminusx
what was my first car doxbox?
xminusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
dosbox
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: '08 United Grey GTI
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by xminusx View Post
what was my first car doxbox?
I have no idea yminusy, but you're apparently an atheist

For the record, I couldn't care less if people want to make asses of themselves around here. It'll just mean the forum slowly dies as people find it less pleasant to hang around.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #20
xminusx
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 BM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,562
Send a message via AIM to xminusx
more agnostic, so I dont believe anything you say.
xminusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
dosbox
Rally Car Newbie
 
Drives: '08 United Grey GTI
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by xminusx View Post
more agnostic, so I dont believe anything you say.
I see what you did there
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
xminusx
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 BM
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,562
Send a message via AIM to xminusx
xminusx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.