GOLFMKV

VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions

Old 01-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #45
Subie2013
Humble yourself

Drives: '13 STI, '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSkyline89 View Post
R-S3's are only a 200 treadwear so they do wear quickly. Personally I wouldn't recommend them for a daily, they grip like crazy but they're loud, stiff, and very heat sensitive. They arent unbearable but unless you have grip issues or race frequently it's not worth it in my opinion. Michelin PSS are more liveable and have a higher wear rating, I got 20,000 km out of set that did four track days and 15-20 autocross events. I only have a couple thousand km on the R-S3's so far
You're gonna get the same amount out of your RS3's. There is no reason you shouldn't. I have about 12,000 miles on mine, and 14 autocross events and they probably have 40% of life on them. I also drive like an asshole and do plenty of canyon runs. I DD these tires as well. Not really that loud, and aren't nearly as rough riding as other 200 tread count tires. Mine are 255/35/18's. The Hancook V2's were much louder of a tire in my opinion.
Subie2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #46
clownish
just clowning around

Drives: Mk5 R32
Winter tires finally mounted because the weatherman says it'll be 30 degrees or colder for a whole week. This unusually warm weather has meant that there has been no motivation to take off the summers.

Winter wheels all scuffed up - probably from being sloppy in storage. I also forgot to mark the corners when I took them off last year, but it was easy to tell which were the fronts and which the rears since they were on the GTI so wear was clear. And they're directional. So best guess wins. Rotated the rears to the front. And made sure the wheel weights cleared everything.

Tossed the wheels/tires on, loaded up the summer wheels and dropped them off at my storage site. Started home and noticed that my tire dash light was lit. Damnit. I haven't had TPMS sensors in my wheels for years and I totally forgot that the winter set doesn't have them in.

The lugs on this car are pretty worn already and the rears still have the locking lug. Which means the Mk6 lug caps I have for them don't fit. So I'll be swapping that out for two normal lugs. And typical - only have 1 of the 2 wheel lug caps I need. At least I found all 4 spare center caps.

Thought about tossing my 10mm spacers on the rear, but I've used all my extended bolts, so that's out for now, unless my shop has some laying around. Which is semi-likely.

To do: clean the wheels taken off, as they're absolutely filthy. Clean the wheels just put on, since they're scuffed as hell. Swap the locking lugs out for normal ones. Code VAGCOM to turn off the wheel sensor light - and check the air in the tires a few times to make sure they're still holding air properly. Should probably do an alignment as well since it's slightly out for months now but I'm lazy.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #47
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 06 CW GTI DSG/09 UG GTI DSG
Do you have the long code for TPMS off?
Das Gespenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #48
clownish
just clowning around

From vortex, I found this. None of this is long coding, but you can look up that binary if you follow these.:

Quote:
TPMS off (light)
19-CAN Gateway
07-Coding
Coding Helper ----> Scroll down and check/uncheck 1 box

TPMS off (message)
46-Central Conv.
07-Coding
Coding Helper ----> Scroll down and check/uncheck 1 box
Doing this causes 2 fault codes apparently - haven't tried it yet.

Also, apparently its illegal for a dealership/shop etc to turn off TPMS... but I don't really care. I just don't want to see the light. Can turn it back on when I put the summer wheels back on, I suppose.

EDIT: found this also.

Quote:
In Vag Com:

Go into 19 Gateway Module
Click coding
Run through the bytes until you find 65 -- Tire Pressure Monitoring
Uncheck the box
Close window
Click do it
Done!

Last edited by clownish; 01-07-2016 at 01:20 PM.
clownish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:00 AM   #49
clownish
just clowning around

More Clowning Around: R32

Okay after doing more research.

You can turn off the MFD text alert.
You can turn off the dash light.
You can recode to use the ABS system and wheel speed instead of TPMS (mk6 style).

After checking I'm now thinking I should just recode to use the wheel speed style sensing. Will wire up an extra module that will use my traction and mute buttons combined to reset the system. Mk6s have this button in the glove box and you can get s blank button but I've used all of my slots already so we'll just try and make a simple additional circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #50
clownish
just clowning around

Sitting here watching a professional repair the vinyl strip on my driver's side seat because it developed a small rip. Rather get it done now and fixed instead of letting it grow.

Before:

After:
Coming soon. Hanging with a blind huskie mutt in the meantime. She just ran headlong into a bookshelf, shook it off, and headed through the doorway she thought was there.

Edit: here we go. Sacrificed a small amount of cosmetics to make sure the fix lasted as long as possible. Filler, mesh melted on, more filler and then texturizing. Done by DuraMend in Cleveland, Ohio - great company that deals with repairing vinyls and upholstery in automotive applications. Great work and good pricing. Owner even owns his own chemical supply company that feeds the repair business.

Last edited by clownish; 01-09-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:39 AM   #51
clownish
just clowning around

Three days of work while it snowed outside - finally got a k04 installed on a Mk4 GLI. Started off to an auspicious beginning by snapping off two bolts removing the downpipe.

Turbo was slightly modified, added bigger injectors, and there's semi-custom tune not yet installed. Also can't start the car because of one damn banjo bolt that vanished and is needed for the coolant return line. hopefully running tomorrow.

Also, someone is going to die.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #52
deAutoKey
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: VW
looking good - sub'd
deAutoKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #53
clownish
just clowning around

R32 is the same - solid daily.

Finally finished installing my überstealth box Pioneer 10in shallow sub with a LCi line signal cleaner and a Fosgate amp.

This little 60amp fuse is very cool - OEM part for adding on accessories using the channels in the battery box. No need to drill into that watertight box!

Tapped the 12V in the trunk for ground and switched power for the amp. LCi is powered by a cord we ran down the side.

No need to drill any holes either through the firewall because the line 10 gauge fit through the accessory grommets on the main harness.

Temp set up to test and tune and then I'll build the amp side box and picture of the harness made to control all these wires.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:05 AM   #54
clownish
just clowning around

Oil change and pulled my fender screws at the top because rubbing at deep compression even with stock height. These spacers (necessary because BBK) are pushing my wheels from et51 to et41.

Going to roll the fenders on Friday with a body shop pro and see if that helps all the rubbing. I snagged an apparently new set of Bilstien b8s off the forums here which I'm very excited about but now I want to find an OEM ish height spring with a higher rate to hopefully make things stiffer.

Since the mk5 r32 is one of the heaviest, I'm wondering if the rs3 springs or Audi tts springs might work.

My goal is stockish height with increase stiffness in the suspension. Don't want my tires hitting fender and since I'm hitting at stock height I'm definitely not really inclined to lower the car. I also do not want to raise it! I might be able to get a little bit of camber in the fronts... On my gti I can get -1.9 on both fronts with Superpro ball joints so I may be doing that...

Not sure but I want things settled in the next two weeks.

Got a set of the dubimport chromed mirror caps and will either try and make them brushed aluminum or buy a chromed front grill to match. Inclined to buy the grill as the DIYs for converting aren't super great. Also got a set of blue aspherical mirrors. I've got a normal colored aspherical mirror set on the gti and it rally helps with blind spots. Plus euro ish, brah. Test for the chrome caps tonight and snapped clips on both sides of my mirror. Whoops. And discovered one mirror was missing the entire black clip bracket that seats the mirror assembly against the turn signal assembly and supports. Kind of a hidden trim piece but you can clearly tell its loose. So I'll be ordered that at the very least.

Drivers side with mirror removed but trim piece in.

Passenger side with trim piece MIA. previous owner must have had someone disassemble and they lost it or something. Maybe when they sprayed the front bumper and hood.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #55
clownish
just clowning around

Installing Bilstien B8 struts (mk6 version), VWR lowering springs, TT bushings and strut mounts front and rear, along with new ball joints, sway bar link ends, and the missing mirror trim piece. Probably replace my Valeo amber modded turns with some 921NA bulbs while I'm at it. Also voting day.... busy day. Time for sleep.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #56
clownish
just clowning around

I'm glad I decided to do some suspension work. Front strut was leaking and both rear springs were cracked. Replaced the strut mounts/bushings with TT stuff, OEM front sway bay end links, OEM ball joints, and a lot of the hardware - pinch bolt, ball joint bolts etc etc etc. Also reused the OEM strut dust coverings since the bilstiens didn't come with any. Probably should get some at some point but meh...

Cosmetically - added the missing mirror trim piece inside the cap - no one can see it unless looking for it but it helps stabilize the lens. Aftermarket chrome grill went on also. Decent fit; not good at the top clips and missing a bolt hole in one of the top trim so drilled through it. Need to take some pictures. Overall not bad for an eBay grill.

Also tossed on my BBS CFs - didn't take pictures yet. Will let the springs settle first but gold on red looks nice. Really need to get an alignment now - needs as much camber front as possible - probably -1.8 if it's the same as a mk6. Rear hopefully about the same.

Edit: still rubbing front and rear at -1.8 with these wheels. Probably going to take them off

Last edited by clownish; 03-16-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:21 PM   #57
clownish
just clowning around

Went to water by the bridge but it was pretty cold and so I only took two pictures. Hanging with the crew was fun - we won best mk6 and best CC #clevelandawayteam

It was raining and cold.

Parked in front of the house we rented for the weekend. Only picture I really took of the car on the BBSs. Rubbed so much that tonight I put the Ompayts back on even tho I hate the tires on them.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:02 AM   #58
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 06 CW GTI DSG/09 UG GTI DSG
That's a shame, those wheels look tits!
Das Gespenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #59
xSabretoothx
Fast w/ training wheels

Drives: Better Than You
Can't you just raise the ride height (I know this is a stupid question to ask a dubber)?

Marvin J. Ashton
xSabretoothx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #60
clownish
just clowning around

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSabretoothx View Post
Can't you just raise the ride height (I know this is a stupid question to ask a dubber)?

It was rubbing at stock high. I'm only dropped about 3/4th an inch and I tried to keep it almost stock high but I wanted stiffer springs without waiting for custom springs.

The problem is the upsized tires (235/35/19) on et35 wheels. That 10mm makes a big difference.

I agree it looks nice but it doesn't fit without some more camber. It took -2.5 on my gti to fit without rubbing but with awd I didn't want to do that.

I'll most likely sell these BBS wheels - they're nice but they're never fit what I want. They're ordered in sizing for stretched tires which I refuse to do.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 PM   #61
xSabretoothx
Fast w/ training wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownish View Post
They're ordered in sizing for stretched tires which I refuse to do.

Marvin J. Ashton
Old 03-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #62
clownish
just clowning around

One more picture from Water by the Bridge, thanks my buddy @mattmaynetf

Daily status engaged. Got a Thule fork mount bike rack for my bike, a used set of OEM carrier bars and I'll be reconditioning them. First custom plate as well.

So last week we installed new ball joints, tie rod ends, hardware in the suspension along with new struts, springs and strut mounts/bearings.

The car with these B8 sport struts and VWR springs handles a little better - hard not to when the stock suspension had two broken rear springs and a leaking strut. In comparison to my Mk6 GTI this R32 still drives like a pig. I want all the mods that put into the GTI in this thing as well. It's a damn hard thing to have two cars that could be amazing little canyon carvers and yet be so different. I want my 28mm sway bars, full chassis bracing, hard coilovers, and all the rest that make the GTI such an amazing driver that the R32 could be if I had enough money to modify it. Though if I had that amount of money I would probably just want to go straight to a GTX or EFR turbo or something similar. This is partially an addiction isn't it. I've run down the options a hundred different ways and have never come out lower than 10k to do a direct injected VR6 properly. Keep saving and checking and looking, right? Eventually that perfect scenario will come up.

Last edited by clownish; 03-25-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #63
clownish
just clowning around

I do believe it is spring time.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #64
zrickety
The Fixer

Drives: 2009 GTI 6MT, 2010 GTI DSG
Nice! I think the added weight of the R32 is why I stay in the GTI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinwark View Post
Smart man, unfortunately I am the friend with the tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACUser View Post
I like that it looks rather mundane and sort of a commuter car but is really a wolf in sheeps clothing.
True ESP OFF on 08.5-09 cars: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190211
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #65
xSabretoothx
Fast w/ training wheels

Weight? Naw, it's the dsg only that killed it for me. The mk6 r though, hmmm...

Marvin J. Ashton
Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #66
clownish
just clowning around

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSabretoothx View Post
Weight? Naw, it's the dsg only that killed it for me. The mk6 r though
Buy a wrecked TTS and make the swap. I keep looking at turbochargers though because I'm sick. This mah daily and it's a nice daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
Nice! I think the added weight of the R32 is why I stay in the GTI.

I love my GTI. I've put a lot into it, way more than I probably should have lol.