GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Timing belt replacement advice with floor jack

Hallmonitor

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone. So I tried to replace the timing belt along with the water pump and pulleys a couple months ago and I had trouble removing the engine bracket because there just wasn't enough clearance to pull it out. I tried wiggling it out, raising the engine higher, and cussing at it but none of it worked. As far as I know, I raised the engine as high as it would possibly go while still in the car. Was there anything special that you did or is it really as straightforward as it seems?

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
I'm in the middle of swapping in Golf R internals so I just recently unhooked the timing belt. You can absolutely jack the engine up enough to remove the mount/bracket from the oil pan, I did it even with stiffer mounts. It helps to unbolt the downpipe from the turbo.

Pic of the head because why not:

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
I bolt dp from turbo and take off pendulum mount. It provides more freedom of movement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hallmonitor

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow I'm dumb, I didn't even think about removing the dp first. That's probably why I couldn't raise the motor high enough at first. If that doesn't allow for enough clearance, I'll try removing the pendulum mount too. Thanks for the advice everyone! Nice head btw

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk