GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV


  VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com


 
Register
MYGOLF garage
Timeslips
Search
Members List
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Go Back   VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com > Main Topics > GTI / Rabbit / Golf MkV General Discussions



Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #1
DeepBlue
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
DeepBlue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 CW 4dr - NOT stock
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 521
I can't believe I still DD a Mk5 GTI...

Hey Guys,

Bought my GTI in 2009 to up-fun my then 1 hour+ commute. Little did I suspect that I will still be driving it 10+ years later. Just to give some perspective, this is about double the duration of my next longest car ownership interval. Unbelievable...

Finally at a crossroads... and also wife is actually insisting that I buy a "grown up" car. Honestly, I have been eyeing current gen GS350 FSport for a while now. Still, it seems that I just can't bear the thought of parting with my GTI. Car is still up to the job and is in good shape inside and out with only 82k on it. Half that on the engine and DSG. Thinking of keeping it vs trading it in.

How odd is this? Was just wondering how many of you are in the same boat?

Last edited by DeepBlue; 05-19-2019 at 08:06 PM.
DeepBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
avenali312
Formula 5000 Champion
 
avenali312's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Smyrna, GA
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
Hey Guys,

Bought my GTI in 2009 to up-fun my then 1 hour+ commute. Little did I suspect that I will still be driving it 10+ years later. Just to give some perspective, this is about double the duration of my next longest car ownership interval. Unbelievable...

Finally at a crossroads... and also wife is actually insisting that I buy a "grown up" car. Honestly, I have been eyeing current gen GS350 FSport for a while now. Still, it seems that I just can't bear the thought of parting with my GTI. Car is still up to the job and is in good shape inside and out with only 82k on it. Half that on the engine and DSG. Thinking of keeping it vs trading it in.

How odd is this? Was just wondering how many of you are in the same boat?
I was in my MKV GTI for 8-ish years. Finally got to the point where I was concerned about a major mechanical failure and it costing quite a bit to fix compared to the car's value. I upgraded to the MQB chassis and a 2015 GTI. Basically the same car, but without a sunroof, two more doors, and quite a bit of refinement/upgrades.

Edit: 2,000 posts! Woo!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkeyterkey View Post
So today I just walked right into Mordor.
I don't have pictures or directions, it was pretty neat though.
avenali312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
Das Gespenst
Formula 3000 Champion
 
Das Gespenst's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 CW GTI DSG/09 UG GTI DSG
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glen Ellyn
Posts: 4,124
I don't think it's odd at all, you like what you like. Hell, I've had my 06 fir 11 years now, retired it from daily duty to build a track car out of it, missed dailying it so much I bought an 09 3 years ago as the replacement daily. I've owned 3 MKVs to date and dont plan on getting rid of either of my current 2. I'll probably daily the 09 for another 4 years until it goes full racecar.
Das Gespenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
GIACUser
Master Wallet Mechanic
 
GIACUser's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 UG EFR7163
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,194
For most of my long life I have had cars for about an average of 3 years or so. I am old so that is a LOT of cars. I bought my 08 new and still have it and am just finishing a full mechanical upgrade and restoration. Bought it new in 2008, plan on keeping it. It is such a fun car to drive with such a practical design for daily use.
__________________
2008 GTI EFR7163 - 480whp
GIACUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
DeepBlue
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
DeepBlue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 CW 4dr - NOT stock
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenali312 View Post
I was in my MKV GTI for 8-ish years. Finally got to the point where I was concerned about a major mechanical failure and it costing quite a bit to fix compared to the car's value. I upgraded to the MQB chassis and a 2015 GTI. Basically the same car, but without a sunroof, two more doors, and quite a bit of refinement/upgrades.

Edit: 2,000 posts! Woo!
I guess I'm just not used to the idea of a fun/project car. I've only ever had a single DD car.

So mine has 4 doors and no sun roof and it has been an excellent all around everything car. For the first 5 years of its life, I was putting down between 12-14k miles per year. Last 5 years, barely 3k per year. Which is probably why its still in good shape. Additionally, this car had an under warranty full engine swap courtesy of VW for burning too much oil. Plus a DSG recall repair as well roughly midway through its life.

All of that, plus the fact that I was crazy over maintaining it the entire time I've owned it, is making me think that it has a bit more useful life left in it which should far outweigh the 3-4k tops that I will get from a dealer for trading it in. On the down side, I am having issues which I never gave a second thought before. Had to fix rust in two spots around doors already.

Another factor that I might not be totally comfortable with is that I have a kid 2 years away from getting a permit... and a GTI would be a good learning-to-drive car (supervised of course!).

Hmmm... an APR K04 with all supporting mods learning-to-drive car... May have to give that a bit more thought.
DeepBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 PM   #6
ffb13
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: gti
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: conn
Posts: 11
i just posted on my 2008-09 gti. and have also the lexus rc 350 f sport with rear wheel steering ...it is ok . i have driven it twice from my place in conn. to miami .and very comfortable..the gs350 more so
they are basically gt cars not really sports cars but close . we are in the usa and any car is good here because of our speed limits . lately when i drive up or down ithe speeds are creeping up a lot ..fla to va people are doing 80 steady and at time 90 and in Va. then it slows doen to 70 and in nj 75 to 80. the GTI excels at this speed .the gs great and the rc even better .
ffb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
DeepBlue
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
DeepBlue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 CW 4dr - NOT stock
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffb13 View Post
i just posted on my 2008-09 gti. and have also the lexus rc 350 f sport with rear wheel steering ...it is ok . i have driven it twice from my place in conn. to miami .and very comfortable..the gs350 more so
they are basically gt cars not really sports cars but close . we are in the usa and any car is good here because of our speed limits . lately when i drive up or down ithe speeds are creeping up a lot ..fla to va people are doing 80 steady and at time 90 and in Va. then it slows doen to 70 and in nj 75 to 80. the GTI excels at this speed .the gs great and the rc even better .
The truth is that I can't really justify keeping the GTI... but I am still trying to talk myself into keeping it.

No doubt, the GS350 is not the most exciting car in the world, but it is most certainly more than good enough and few can find any major faults with it. Having owned a Lexus RX for over 5 years as wifes DD, I must say that I am massively impressed with its ability to run just fine on minimum attention/maintenance/care, like its a given. Try that with a GTi and you will end up with a largely unusable pile of parts in no time!

I'm sure once I get the GS, it will easily satisfy all my car needs and if I am being honest with myself... do I really want to let my teenage kid DD a supped up GTI?
DeepBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
ffb13
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: gti
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: conn
Posts: 11
rs you cannot wrong with the lexus nor a toyota...i recently drove the ls500 and did not care for it . the ES is a better car but too soft and the driving modes do nothing and it is not as tight as the others the sections do not seem to fit tight . the gs is the one to get .
ffb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
ssunnylee24
Formula 3000 Champion
 
ssunnylee24's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 CW GTI
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: LAX
Posts: 4,653
Send a message via AIM to ssunnylee24
Ive had my 07 GTI for about 8 years and put about 120,000 miles and sold it due to inheriting a Camry. 2 month later i got rear ended the vehicle was at total loss. I searched the market and looked for a good reliable but fun car and looked nowhere else but the MKV. I found an 06 GTI with 31k miles in Oregon and wired the money. It has about 50k miles now and I dont regret one bit purchasing my mkv. What an awesome car.
ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:49 AM   #10
ROH ECHT
K04 PLAY
 
ROH ECHT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 mkv gti
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PDX OR
Posts: 3,529
I bought mine in Nov. 2006 and it has 151k miles on it...and is still my DD. Oh, and I am 57 yrs in 4 days. I haven't been told to buy a more grown up car to date...however, I am thinking I will get a newer Golf R or RS3 sometime in the future..and designate the MK5 as a build.

This is from a week ago:



Might not be what you want a teenager to drive...but the GTI may be a great thing for both of you to do together as a build. You can keep building on it while saying it isn't finished, until they are no longer a teenager and have become tired of waiting around to inherit...and they go out and buy their own car. LOL
__________________
K04 PLAYZOOMDIS!
GIAC K04&DSG files/AWE DV/Autotech HPFP/Torqbyte PM3/TTRS LPFP/S3 INJ's&fmic/RS4 fprv/FORGE fmtc,WG act.&TB HOSE/Techtonics TB/Custom Turbo Outlet/BSH Mounts/NEUS. P-FLO&throttle pipe/13.2"BBK/W.A.L.K./H&R SS/H&R F&R-ARB's/Bilstein B8 Dampers My Dragtime link-GIAC tune2007 Volkswagen GTI : 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH

Last edited by ROH ECHT; 05-26-2019 at 01:02 AM.
ROH ECHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.