GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone tried both polyurethane and aluminum dogbone inserts?

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
I've currently got a 034motorsports aluminum dogbone insert in my mk5 ed30 and didn't feel too much of a difference in performance so was wondering if the polyurethane variants are better? I know there will be slightly more NVH but I don't really mind. If you have tried both please let me know your experiences thanks!

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
If you don't feel much diff it may be that your OEM bushing is in good shape. Metal or Poly it shouldn't make much difference by itself. In general if you really want to hold the motor/trans in place you replace motor, trans mounts along with your insert and a new poly bushing for the actual arm.

Instead of doing the insert I used the 034 solid street density replacment bushings.

The above combo worked well for me. My car was 335whp K04 so probably similar to your car.

Last edited:

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
If you don't feel much diff it may be that your OEM bushing is in good shape. Metal or Poly it shouldn't make much difference by itself. In general if you really want to hold the motor/trans in place you replace motor, trans mounts along with your insert and a new poly bushing for the actual arm.

Instead of doing the insert I used the 034 solid street density replacment bushings.

The above combo worked well for me. My car was 335whp K04 so probably similar to your car.

Thanks for your reply! Thats good to hear that my oem bushing is in good shape. I think the solid street density mounts are out of my budget as I've booked in for stage 2+. Do you suggest any other mods to stiffen up the car a bit? Thanks

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks for your reply! Thats good to hear that my oem bushing is in good shape. I think the solid street density mounts are out of my budget as I've booked in for stage 2+. Do you suggest any other mods to stiffen up the car a bit? Thanks

As you know it costs $ to go fast, the faster you go the faster your $ goes. You will find that you can't just add power without adding supporting mods as well or updating aging OEM parts.

Trans and motor mounts are some of the first things I did when I went 2+.

Last edited:

highroller

Passed Driver's Ed
As you know it costs $ to go fast, the faster you go the faster your $ goes. You will find that you can't just add power without adding supporting mods as well or updating aging OEM parts.

Trans and motor mounts are some of the first things I did when I went 2+.

Very true unfortunately... What mounts do you recommend for stage 2+? I may need to invest some money in some more mounts...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Very true unfortunately... What mounts do you recommend for stage 2+? I may need to invest some money in some more mounts...

I really liked the 034 Street Density mounts. Ran them for 4 years from 2+ to K04

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Thanks, did you get the set or the pair? And how difficult was the install?

My order of install and purchase extended over time. I added pieces as budget allowed. First I tried the insert as it was inexpensive. Later I went with the pair of mounts for the engine and trans. Later I removed the OEM pendulum mount and the insert and installed the 034 solid bushings.

Install not terribly difficult. Just need hand tools and a jack to temporarily support engine/trans. Probably a youtube on how to install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dRIaPAbbr4

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
I added Torque Solution mounts while the shop was getting intimate with the engine bay during the clutch installation. The FSI motor is a very smooth four banger unit...benefits of sharing parts with Audi, I guess.

I did do the transmission mount install myself on the old Mazda 3 and it wasn't too difficult. I have pretty much zero upper body strength and am a klutz overall.

penak

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow