GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yuk an oil leak!

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Fixed a coolant leak just last week (vacuum pump seal). Woke up yesterday to a few drops of oil in my garage, jacked up the car and there was oil everywhere, it seems to have started in the front section.

I have made sure it is not the oil filter housing. Does anything know if this leak area is common or what it may be? (my uneducated assumption could be oil cooler gasket/seal)

I'm planning to do my timing belt + carbon cleaning/Injector 1 replace next week or so, fingers crossed its nothing expensive..

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Fixed a coolant leak just last week (vacuum pump seal). Woke up yesterday to a few drops of oil in my garage, jacked up the car and there was oil everywhere, it seems to have started in the front section.

I have made sure it is not the oil filter housing. Does anything know if this leak area is common or what it may be? (my uneducated assumption could be oil cooler gasket/seal)

I'm planning to do my timing belt + carbon cleaning/Injector 1 replace next week or so, fingers crossed its nothing expensive..

The housing is plastic and it is notorious for crack where it bolts to the block. I had to replace mine. OEM # 06F 115 397 J

Need to get under there and look but it is a possibility.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Did you replace the oil filter? If yes did you pre lube the gasket with engine oil? Is the filter tight enough? It happened to me although it was tightened to 30Nm (leak was minimal in comparison to yours).

As GIACUser said, the housing is also notorious to leak at the connection to the block and sometimes needs replacement, sometimes tightening the screws is enough.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Clean your engine and trans it looks like it could use one :smile:, pay attention to front of block at leak area. You then should be able to pinpoint the leak and will have a cleaner engine bay for your maintenance next week.

carbonduc27

Car(s)
07 CW GTI 4dr Stage2
Looks like mine did. I had changed the oil and filter and didn't realize the rubber gasket for the housing was stuck in the housing mount. I unscrewed the filter, put in the new rubber gasket not realizing the old one was not in it.

I went back in, drained the tiny bit of oil in the filter and unscrewed it. After close inspection I saw the old gasket stuck to the engine. All good not. Turns out 2 gaskets are NOT better than one!

good luck!!

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Is removing the intake manifold required for this job?

No you do not but since you are cleaning the intake valves and the manifold is already off might as well take care of oil housing assembly at same time it will be a lot easier.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
No you do not but since you are cleaning the intake valves and the manifold is already off might as well take care of oil housing assembly at same time it will be a lot easier.

Actually, the misfire I thought was from an injector was my ignition coil! As all 4 are new I didn't expect one to be defective. After swapping it out yesterday the car runs very smooth :smile:

So the job is possible without removing the manifold? Do you know where I can find a guide or more information on this job?

I do not have the funds to pay a shop to get this done, so to hear it can be done without removing the manifold... Great news.

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!

aeronaticaa

Ready to race!
Yes they have a lot of good DIYs. So you planning to remove the front end of the car(bumper & carrier).

No I will not be, the manifold + front end will stay.

Ive heard it is a pain in the a** of a job to do it this way.. But I dont really have a choice currently.

sacman

Ready to race!
I just went through this 3 weeks ago. It was a pain in the rear. It's easier to remove the intake manifold and clean those nasty valves as well. It took me 2 days and a lot of cussing. I had to remove everything to get to the stupid plastic housing.