GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat causes one piece rotor to become two piece

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I sold my R brakes just recently. Had almost brand new (less than 1000 miles) Centric rotors. New owner put on HP+ plus pads I gave him and went to local track AAA Speedway in Fontana CA. I got the story third hand but this is what happened to the rotor after a session. Anybody every see anything like that. I have not seen a rotor failure like this one.....

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Any close shots of the edges of the crack?

Thats a crazy failure. Any cracking on the other rotor?

GT0neX

NooB-Still Sucklin' Teat
Holy F---. Never heard of something like that. I can imagine the a-puckering that must have caused. I was out there on Sat, but doing the cheap-o autox, lol. I'm going to guess that's likely a material defect. How many laps was he in, how fast was he going and what was the end result (no crash I hope)?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Any close shots of the edges of the crack?

Thats a crazy failure. Any cracking on the other rotor?

Guy that installed them for new buyer just sent me that pic and he wasn't at the track. New owner told him that he went out for a session everything seemed ok. Went out for another session and by second turn things didn't seem right so he went back in to find this. That is as much as I know.

Looking at these rotor is just scary, the color of it and that gouge makes me wonder what the hell gave way. That rotor was torched..... I have never had that problem.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Holy F---. Never heard of something like that. I can imagine the a-puckering that must have caused. I was out there on Sat, but doing the cheap-o autox, lol. I'm going to guess that's likely a material defect. How many laps was he in, how fast was he going and what was the end result (no crash I hope)?

As you can read, based on what I was told third hand, he noticed something was wrong and just took the car in only to find that.

dmfracer

Ready to race!
It almost looks like the wheel wasn't on tight or maybe a wheel bearing is bad, allowing axial play which broke the center section of the rotor away from the disk. Clearly NOT GOOD.

Does he have any pictures showing the surface of the cracks?

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
That rotor looks super cooked and no longer 'almost brand new', could be extreme stress, could be a defect.

Hard to tell without more info. Been using centric rotors on everything for the longest time, never saw anything lile this.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
That rotor looks super cooked and no longer 'almost brand new', could be extreme stress, could be a defect.

Hard to tell without more info. Been using centric rotors on everything for the longest time, never saw anything lile this.

Same here. I have asked for more info and a follow up. He said he would contact him and get a full rundown of what transpired and what he has found out since. Looks like more than just plain overheating

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
It almost looks like the wheel wasn't on tight or maybe a wheel bearing is bad, allowing axial play which broke the center section of the rotor away from the disk. Clearly NOT GOOD.

Does he have any pictures showing the surface of the cracks?

I've seen this once and it was down to a bad wheel bearing. A coworkers Shelby Cobra had the front left break clean like that all the way around

joesmkv

Passed Driver's Ed
I have only used 'cheap' rotors for my track and daily use, and have never seen this. I could only imagine it was a defect, but I'm very curious about the discoloration on the rotor as well. Something doesn't add up.