GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Step 3. Roof lining and hail damage repair

DeWet

Ready to race!
So this all started with a sagging roof lining.
I removed to and bought spray contact adhesive planning to fix it.
After removing it I ordered some PDR items to remove or at least lessen the hail damage since I had access.
At this stage I already swapped front fender and rhs door skins with ones from a written off TDI in the same united grey and only had to worry about the roof and bonnet.

First had to cut off the sound dampning glued onto the roof which was a bigger job than expected and then I slowly tapped the dents out.
For the ones under the support beams I used the PDR rods to get them out.

It didnt end up perfect but looks a lot better so still happy with the outcome.

Glued new sound dampning sheets onto the roof

While this was going on I saw an add with a black roof lining, pillars etc. and got it for a good price. The only problem was it was in the Gold Coast and Im in Sunshine Coast.

Could tell the misses about the purchase so I organised at work and drove down, put the lining in the car (holding it up with the grab handles) and raced back. With the speed I was going to be back at work at 12 I stressed for over a week about getting a fine since the point to point speed cameras ar in use.

While installing I realised I needed the black trim the goes around the window of the hatch/boot lid window but the guy got rid of the whole wreck he had so never got it.

The wiring of my 2005 midline was different to the wiring of the 2008 gti so I got a mate from sydney to send me a photo of the connector on the car side so I had to swap out a couple of wires.

Anyways, got it all done except for the sun glass holder which took forever to come from China so the white one was an eye sore for a while.

Got it in yesterday so all good now( except for white boot trim)

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dmfracer

Ready to race!
Nice, did you use the factory headliner material or something like Alcantara? Hard to tell from the pictures.

The previous owner of my car apparently did a little experiment with Alcantara and covered only the passenger door inserts with it in replacement of the factory cloth. It looks nice, wish he'd done the rest of the interior.

DeWet

Ready to race!
Nice, did you use the factory headliner material or something like Alcantara? Hard to tell from the pictures.

The previous owner of my car apparently did a little experiment with Alcantara and covered only the passenger door inserts with it in replacement of the factory cloth. It looks nice, wish he'd done the rest of the interior.
It was all stock from a later model mk5 gti

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk