GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying assistance GTI Mk5

dark.blood_26

Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I just test drove a 2008 GTI with 177k miles on it. The guy had the timing belt broke on him when it had 160k on it and damaged 8 exhaust valves. This could be a good thing and a bad thing. Good because I don't have to worry about the timing belt breaking for a while but I'm worried about other stuff that may have broke or soon will break. Brakes and shocks had been changed. Oil had been changed regularly. Exterior and interior looks great for an 08. There's no weird noises on the engine and everything seems to be working fine.

Things that bothers me: there's a little bit of vibration coming from the front right of the car. It could be just the wheel alignment or something. Also, there seems to be rust on the rotors. It's not really a big deal but it looks like the car hasn't been driven much lately. Lastly, 177k on an 08 is so much.

Is there anything I should look for? The guy is asking 5k for it. Is it a good deal?

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Get it PPIed by a certified mechanic and make sure he or she checks your concerns. That way you have documentation prior to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKVADR

GTI Lady
Car(s)
MKV
To me the mileage is still too much... What's the asking price? If you don't mind my being nosey.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I just test drove a 2008 GTI with 177k miles on it. The guy had the timing belt broke on him when it had 160k on it and damaged 8 exhaust valves. This could be a good thing and a bad thing. Good because I don't have to worry about the timing belt breaking for a while but I'm worried about other stuff that may have broke or soon will break. Brakes and shocks had been changed. Oil had been changed regularly. Exterior and interior looks great for an 08. There's no weird noises on the engine and everything seems to be working fine.

Things that bothers me: there's a little bit of vibration coming from the front right of the car. It could be just the wheel alignment or something. Also, there seems to be rust on the rotors. It's not really a big deal but it looks like the car hasn't been driven much lately. Lastly, 177k on an 08 is so much.

Is there anything I should look for? The guy is asking 5k for it. Is it a good deal?

Is it a good deal? No.
Is there anything I should look for? A different car.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Actually 177k is not so much for 10yr old thing that’s been driven. My 08’ r32 has like 230k now and feels fine. Sceptical about amount of damage from timing belt tho. Broken valve pieces in the block, circulation to other areas maybe.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
The price seems a tad high for this mileage, how is the car equipped? I wouldn't pay more than 3500-4000$. The problem is that at this mileage you have to be sure it was serviced appropriately... and the fact that the timing belt broke is not a very good sign it was probably still the original belt...

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
The price seems a tad high for this mileage, how is the car equipped? I wouldn't pay more than 3500-4000$. The problem is that at this mileage you have to be sure it was serviced appropriately... and the fact that the timing belt broke is not a very good sign it was probably still the original belt...

The thread is from over a year and a half ago... post history shows he already bought the car