GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grams 70mm Throttle Body - Black Series

eurocars

5/17/15 - Never forget
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I definitely agree with removing the plastic plate, but do you have any logs / data to suggest the gains across the board? I haven't found anyone that is using an upsized TB that shows anything, mostly placebo style observations.

quoting again for data, testing was done with the 1.8t back in the day on improvements with larger throttle bodies. The stock MKV tb is about 52 mm

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4690902-TECH-TEST-1-OF-3-Throttle-Body-Sizing

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Stock intake and TB will get you to any level of HP, but a bigger TB will show gains in the mid-range.
On big-turbo/high power 1.8t engine it has been proven many times that upgrading to a larger TB, accompanied with remapping, show significant gaines(including my own: went from stock 60mm to 80mm with bigger manifold: gained 28hp and 35ft/lbs with same boost level)

Tuner did say that it is used in 1.8t builds with some success but that with the 57mm TB on the MKV 2.0l no appreciable gains and that there was also a loss of linearity. Throttle became more on/off.

No personal experience with these but I did ask a reputable tuner the question and this is the reply I got back. It is just one tuners opinion and experience.

Pudding

Passed Driver's Ed
/\ Yep, more pointless 'bigger is better' nonsense, which it isn't.

For everything you change up in the mid and top ends, affects the bottom end and idle....but people just quote peak hp don't they? Never the bad stuff.

1.8T is not TFSI. Fit a bigger plate and you'll need to retune the hot and cold idle, over run, VVT, hot and cold part throttle tip-in/out, hot and cold full throttle tip-in/out, part throttle cruise, in-gear roll up to a stop stall conditions, pedal ratio, all of it! All the tricky stuff to tune. WOT is easy.

I appreciate a lot racers don't care about traffic manners, but having played with big throttles and having the luxury of a standalone to make the above changes myself, I'm not going back there again. Not worth it for 5-10% gain in an rpm area seldom used on the road.

What would be more useful is that throttle in stock size, to fix reliability issues with the stock part.....although having said that, TB failure is rare, more so after the Q revision. 57mm is appropriate for a smooth response, and it's a boosted engine. 70mm is VR6 size and not appropriate for a 2.0.

allenlin

I think 70mm is not a problem, there are many big turbo 2.0T use 3.0TFSI TB and works fine.
The other benefit is the relibility ,metal butterfly valve is better the original plastic one.

josein06gli

GLI OWNER
Car(s)
VW Jetta GLI
Gen 3 tsi engines have a metal flap tbody. Iirc I measured and they're the same size.

anyone know if they can swapped over or cannibalized