GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eonon GA6153W Review

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
So I have been wanting a radio with bluetooth for a while and wasn't a huge fan of spending a huge amount of money on the OEM units everyone switches to. They seem too overpriced and all that chrome doesn't really match the MKV interior IMO. So I saw Das Gespenst had got an android type tablet and that got me interested. A few months and lots of research later I purchased the Eonon GA6153W.

The unit took about a week to get from Hong Kong to Omaha, NE. Thats pretty impressive to me. When I received the unit I opened everything and was disappointed that my unit had multiple scratches on the screen. No protective film on it or anything, just wrapped in foam which didn't do its job clearly. There was some film on the metal underside of the unit l that needed no protection whatsoever. I was pretty confused why they decided to protect the underside but whatever. I didn't bother filing a complaint about the screen because I didn't really want to take it out, ship it back & wait for them to ship me a new one.

The install was pretty easy & straight forward. There are multiple harnesses for aftermarket stereo equipment and back up cameras. All of the harness' wires were labeled which was really awesome. After I plugged it all together I turned the car on to test it, worked perfectly, no issues. Buttoned everything back up and started messing with the settings. You can see random vehicle info on the vehicle app, run an SD card for music, and have up to 42 saved radio stations (not sure who needs that many). Everything has been running smoothly from the start.

I love this radio but the only downfall is the bluetooth music app DOES NOT display album name, song, artwork or anything. It just displays the reverse arrow, play/pause, and forward arrow. That's rather annoying seeing as how I'd have to look at my phone to see what song is playing. If there are any apps anybody knows of to remedy this flaw, please let me know. Otherwise if I'm not using bluetooth, I'll use my phone as a hotspot & run Spotify on it. It works pretty well, never have any issues connecting or running that app & navigation if I need it. My only concern is watching how much data I use running it as a hotspot. If it consumes too much I'll just use it for the navigation when needed, which is rare. Other than that the unit is pretty nice, does what I wanted it to do, to a degree lol.

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
Mine came with two screen protectors. Odd to say the least. Id say get a usb sim card holder so it has its own data connection

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Got pics of it installed? did you have to purchase another harness for the radio to work? do you hear static?

gdub9

Go Full Jeremy Clarkson
Car(s)
08 GTI
Got pics of it installed? did you have to purchase another harness for the radio to work? do you hear static?
no the harness that comes with it works fine, steering controls work as well. As for the radio, Im not sure, I don't really listen to the radio much but from when I have it sounded fine.

eur0trashl3y

not much. The start up time is kind of annyoing but you get over it.

I wanted to get this for my Mk5 (2006) Rabbit, but on the list of vehicles it will work with they only list the 2006+ Jetta & Passat. Will it work in a Rabbit? I'm pretty sure my Mk6 head unit was from a Jetta, but didn't want to find out it won't work the hard way.