GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Opinions from FSI Engine Gurus

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
to go.

Going with a bigger turbo means you are really going to want moar RPM.

Maybe, but not so much really unless the turbo size is stupid. Engine speed limits with a OEM cam lobe profile/cam follower setup on HPFP, will be around 8000-8200 rpms, due to the pump floating at higher rpms.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
^^Awesome! I'm curious of any long term (fair about of mileage) of individuals that have removed the balance shafts, as it seems that any damage it may cause would happen over time / use.

I think you can look at the fact that 1.8t's didn't have balance shafts and there are thousands of them running around the world making lots of power, and conclude that deleting balance shafts in a 2.0t will not cause any harm.

I will say however that, having spent some time driving a B5 Passat 1.8t, you definitely notice the added vibration, and that was at stock power and stock mounts. My K04 GTI with 034 Street mounts feels worlds smoother and more refined.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Maybe, but not so much really unless the turbo size is stupid. Engine speed limits with a OEM cam lobe profile/cam follower setup on HPFP, will be around 8000-8200 rpms, due to the pump floating at higher rpms.

The EFR7163 is not going to run out of breath at 6500 RPM, if you want the most out of that turbo then building a motor that is happy at 8K RPM is what you gotta do.

Aluthman

APR has said that they saw several balance shaft failures on their MKV race cars.

I can also see why you'd want to keep them, especially if you aren't going to track the car regularly.

Here is a great engine build thread where the guy kept his balance shafts on his BT B7 A4.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...o-build-your-engine…-Well-here’s-how-to-do-it
That’s my thread. Still running balance shafts in my B7 after 25k miles or so. No issues, but I did put a new pump on when the current motor was built.