GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2008 gti with tsi engine --chain tensioner question

ffb13

i got my gti new in 2008 and do not drive it much but love th ecar .(do not drive i much because i keep it in a vacation home )...the car now has 32,000 miles and i am reading about problems with the chain tensioner failing and a new re design of this part ..but no recall.

many of the problems that i read about are in the uk or from people selling the new chain tensioner .

my connecticut dealer tells me that many owners are coming in to replace the chain tensioner at a cost of $ 1,400.00

any suggestions ?????

thank you

ffb

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Well at least you are doing your homework. You are correct and this issue affects all TSI engines, the tensioner uses a tooth design and the teeth wear out. When this happens the tensioner fails and due to our motors being non interrupt it grenades the motor. $1400 is the going rate for an entire timing chain service, however that includes a lot of parts that don't need to be replaced at low mileage like the chain itself. I've seen them go as early as 23k miles and some last 100k. There is no ryme or reason to when they let go, just know that it will eventually fail. I suggest doing them every 50k unless you drive your car hard, then earlier is recommended.

You can buy the tensioner, one time use bolts, and plastic bridge for under $200 and have an independent shop do the job for around $600. If you plan on keeping the car this is a must!

It is such a big issue companies are making The shirts now lol.
http://shopdap.com/2-0t-vw-and-audi-tsi-timing-chain-tensioner-problems/

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
50k is too soon, especially if you get the updated part. I agree that it seems random, but there are factors like low oil level or extended service that will provoke this failure. I personally have seen cars go 100k+ without issue but I do 5k oil changes. I plan to install the updated part and not touch it again for 100k.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
2009 TSI Chain Tensioner Question

Hi - New guy here. Bought a 2009 GTI (TSI - CBFA) which now has 101K miles, but no history. Been doing some reading and know I can inspect the tensioner via the timing cover access hole. Apparently the original 06H 109 467N is easily identified by its catch ring which keeps the ratchet pin locked in.

But according to DAP, there have been FOUR tensioner part numbers: the above original 06H 109 467N ; 06H 109 467AB ; 06H 109 467T ; and now the latest 06K 109 467K.

So two questions:
1) Can you actually read the P/N via the inspection hole - thus able to know which of the 4 iterations of tensioner is in the car?

2) If it turns out I've got one of the updated AB or T parts, do they ALSO need to be replaced with the newest K version? In other words, the original N tensioner has been acknowledged to have problems - but did the next gen AB and T parts also experience significant failures? Or are they OK to run for awhile?

Thanks ..... Fred

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I would bet money that Tiguan had 10k+ oil changes and might have been low on oil too.

Nitrorea

Ready to race!
FWIW....I don't think EVERY SINGLE 2.0L TSI has this failure. Think about it? How many millions and millions of TSI's are there in all VAG platforms.....EVERY single one fails? Nah, don't think so. No doubt they do however I'm willing to bet the ones that last well past 100K plus far out number the ones that don't.

Keep your oil topped up, change on a regular basis with good quality and you should be fine.