GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Engine cover w/ Cold Air Intake...

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
If seen a lot of people rocking the stock engine cover w/ a cold air intake. What cuts were made to convert the engine cover w/o it looking 'ghetto'. I've looked out some of the aftermarket covers for cai and I not impressed. Is there a DIY that I overlooked?

darcness

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI CW
Check my build log link in my sig.

Don't have a DIY, but do have pretty good pics of what it looks like.

Here it is:

Fahrenheit340

The Super Yankee
Car(s)
2007 Fahrenheit
Oh im going to be doing this immediately. Looks so ugly without the engine cover.

Zanxrex

New, yet old
Car(s)
2006 MK5 GTI
Oh im going to be doing this immediately. Looks so ugly without the engine cover.

Ugliness is a virtue. And when I need to check the plugs or other items I don't have to deal with taking the cover off.

Crispy21

Banned
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Ugliness is a virtue. And when I need to check the plugs or other items I don't have to deal with taking the cover off.

Same i hate the stock engine cover, its just big and stupid. FSI engine covers should look like TSIs and dont utililize the intake

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI

This.

If you properly clean up your OE valve cover once you've removed the stock air box. I personally think it looks great. Knock out the filler neck extension, R8 oil cap, some sort of PCV solution, and just give it all a good cleaning/detail I think it looks great.

Or just be a boss, drop $500 and pickup an IE or EJ valve cover haha.

Fahrenheit340

The Super Yankee
Car(s)
2007 Fahrenheit
This.

If you properly clean up your OE valve cover once you've removed the stock air box. I personally think it looks great. Knock out the filler neck extension, R8 oil cap, some sort of PCV solution, and just give it all a good cleaning/detail I think it looks great.

Or just be a boss, drop $500 and pickup an IE or EJ valve cover haha.

I was actually looking around in there today trying to figure out if there were other ways to dress it up a bit.
I think my next buy will be a BSH competition catch can and after that I'll work on more cosmetics. The group im in has a great powdercoating sponsor so if i can find anything to coat im sure that would look much better.

P.s. What is the slim hardened plastic pipe coming from the front of the car going back towards the intake?

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I was actually looking around in there today trying to figure out if there were other ways to dress it up a bit.
I think my next buy will be a BSH competition catch can and after that I'll work on more cosmetics. The group im in has a great powdercoating sponsor so if i can find anything to coat im sure that would look much better.

P.s. What is the slim hardened plastic pipe coming from the front of the car going back towards the intake?

I love my comp catch can great quality piece. Order quick they are hard to get. Please don't buy through DBC performance either *fucking hate them* Call up BSH directly for it. Great group of guys.

That is the noise pipe. Commonly deleted. You can search for the home depot plug method (which I did) for about $2.00. or you can go with an a3 throttle body pipe which eliminates the need for the plug, but it is more expensive, up around $100 or so. Many vendors carry it. I believe the Tiguan pipe works as well.

I'll end up fabing up an aluminum throttle body pipe here one of these days since it's a small cheap piece. Will probably cost like $30 for the pipe lol..

Fahrenheit340

The Super Yankee
Car(s)
2007 Fahrenheit
I love my comp catch can great quality piece. Order quick they are hard to get. Please don't buy through DBC performance either *fucking hate them* Call up BSH directly for it. Great group of guys.

That is the noise pipe. Commonly deleted. You can search for the home depot plug method (which I did) for about $2.00. or you can go with an a3 throttle body pipe which eliminates the need for the plug, but it is more expensive, up around $100 or so. Many vendors carry it. I believe the Tiguan pipe works as well.

I'll end up fabing up an aluminum throttle body pipe here one of these days since it's a small cheap piece. Will probably cost like $30 for the pipe lol..

Noise pipe! I should have known. Now remember I'm new to this platform, but isnt a noise pipe just something extra to waste your boost pressure on filling? If you remove this piece and block it off will it not give you gains in acceleration time and such?

Moosecakes

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Noise pipe! I should have known. Now remember I'm new to this platform, but isnt a noise pipe just something extra to waste your boost pressure on filling? If you remove this piece and block it off will it not give you gains in acceleration time and such?

No worries :thumbsup: everyone starts somewhere.

Yes basically it's wasting some of your boost and throttle response by diverting air to make noise. I ran before and after logs, noticed no difference in boost, maybe .2 to .3 extra psi, but throttle response was slightly improved, but that could just be placebo effect. I personally did it because it's ugly as fuck, and in the way of my catch can I knew i was going to get.

Stampedevxl

RACECAR > STANCECAR
Car(s)
really?
but why?
in case you need to go back to stock then your gonna have to shell out like 150 for a cover. and it looks ugly.

wow old thread