GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

emergency? gas attentent put regular in my car should i be worried?

Mr. White

MESPELLENG WURDZ!
Car(s)
2010 Jetta

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
dump some 93 in it to dilute the shitty gas.... better yet, if you can get a hold of unleaded race gas that would be even better.

regardless, your car will jsut run like a turd for this tank... timing pull...exc.

not a big deal

Actually, regular gas is a better grade of gas because it's more volatile. You need to put in additives to make it crappier so it won't burn as fast.

bpestilence

Volkswagen Triathlon Team
Car(s)
2007 GTI
The owner's manual specifically says that any grade of gasoline can be used but that performance will only be maximized with premium fuel. Thank you, computer-controlled wastegate.

Your car will be fine. When my GTI was my wife's car she always put 87 in it.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
uh putting 87 in it is bad for it eventually. Even if the car pulls timing you aren't getting the correct flash point for fuel. Octane has nothing to do with the wastegate. Pretty much the only thing that requires higher octane is higher compression ratio, which is inflated since you guys use a turbo. We only have 91 here in California, so a half tank of 87 and half tank if 93 is gonna average around 90 octane which is close enough. You should be running normally without pulled timing (for a california car anyways). Octane rating is just a ratio of how much of it is octane (detonation retardant) and how much of it is fuel + ethanol.

GTI lover all over again

Over fifty and lov'n it!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Don't believe what half of these retards say, I have been in the refining industry for over 30 years and most of them don't understand fuel at all!

Regular gas will not harm the engine what so ever, and as the detailed engine manual states, the car will simply have less power, it will not explode, be damaged or harmed in anyway, you could run the engine with regular for years without any damage. The cleanliness of the fuel is all you need to worry about, and the degree of detergents it has, if you use the tier one fuels, no matter if it is regular you will be absolutely fine!

Running with ethanol blended gas, as is becoming law in many jurisdictions will only lower the mileage you get.

Regular unleaded gas actually has a higher BTU/pound rating than premium, so you would actually get better mileage with regular than premium. It has a lower ignited flame speed, so will not produce the power that premium will produce.

Years ago, I posted information on the flame speed of various hydrocarbons, and that is what controls the amount of power you can get from your engine. If you can't burn the fuel fast enough, you can't get the RPM of your engine to the point where the entire fuel load is combusted. Ethanol burns extremely fast, that's why you see dragsters etc. use ethanol, they will run 10,000-12,000 RPM. And get efficient burn, but they will use a shit load of fuel!

Our engine, has direct injected fuel, so it will run much like a diesel engine, and a diesel engine can burn just about anything as long as it can reach the auto-ignition temperature of the fuel and air mixture.

My GTI has been running for over 5 years with either regular or premium, depending on what my mood is, and it is running just fine!

Don't worry, be happy, if your engine is stock, fine, if you have a tune, set it back to stock.

:thumbsup:

biggee72

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 GTI DSG
Were all retarded but you get gas based off of what mood you are feeling?

bpestilence

Car(s)
2007 GTI
uh putting 87 in it is bad for it eventually. Even if the car pulls timing you aren't getting the correct flash point for fuel. Octane has nothing to do with the wastegate. Pretty much the only thing that requires higher octane is higher compression ratio, which is inflated since you guys use a turbo]

Basically everything you said is incorrect.
87 octane fuel is not lower quality than 93 octane.
Changing the ignition timing doesnt change the fuel flash point, but that doesn't matter. It isn't a diesel engine.
The wastgate controls the boost level. This setting is altered if you use lower-octane fuel, along with a timing change. Thus, the wastgate is directly tied to the type of fuel you use.
The compression is actually lower in a turbo engine. The dynamic compression Is higher when in boost. Again, this is fundamentally controlled by the wastegate.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
read it again.
I did not say 87 is lower quality. It has a lower octane percentage.
By flash point I mean the position of the piston, and yes I realize I used the term wrong after rereading it. The car is designed to combust fuel at a certain point past TDC. If you are retarding timing you are no longer combusting fuel at this point, with the same valve configuration that you would with normal timing. Hence you get less power, less efficient burn, but no knock (the reason it retards the timing in the first place).
Wastegate controls the point at which boost is released. Possibly in these cars the wastegate has some control to it based on lower octane fuel. Otherwise the wastegate just opens at a certain boost pressure. Now in this particular car I'm sure boost as well as the wastegate and timing are all related, but again it will not be running optimally on lower octane fuel.
Compression in a turbo engine is typically lower than an NA variant. I believe I said higher octane fuel is only used in a high compression environment. So I believe a turbocharged car qualifies as a high compression environment. Rereading I DID say "high compression ratio" which is incorrect. I meant high compression environment, since a gas as it is compressed more heats up more, which is the reason you have higher octane so it does not spontaneously combust (a la diesel) and instead combustion is controlled and timed by your spark. Which is controlled by your timing. Which is retarded if you are running lower octane fuel. Which means your fuel is not combusting at the optimal point.
I am not seeing how the dynamic compression of the engine in boost is fundamentally controlled by the wastegate, or how the wastegate has anything to do with fuel octane. Unless the car has some complex electronic system that not only reduces boost (opens the wastegate) and retards timing. Changing timing should be enough to eliminate knock. I don't think the car changes boost characteristics at all in terms of when it is in boost, releasing boost, or how much fuel is flowing while in boost, dependent on fuel. I could see how boost would be rendered less effective since combustion in the cylinder is taking place later in the cycle, when it is compressing less, but the turbo should still be putting out the same pressure, since the engine is still flowing the same amount of air, just less efficiently.

I don't know that's how I see it. Maybe I am wrong. I am more familiar with NA engines and old 1991 MR2 Turbos. Electronically controlled boost and wastegates... what's that. Reading that pdf on the FSI engine shows a reduction in power from running on 87. That is because you aren't running the engine optimally, not because you aren't making boost. I'd like to think that with the valve buildup problems that these DI engines have already, burning your fuel at less than optimal pressure and position would contribute more to carbon buildup, and I'd assume the ECU would try to advance timing to normal every so often. Not sure how the car knows to retard the timing, I assume it has to knock once so the knock sensor picks it up.

bpestilence

Car(s)
2007 GTI
Unless the car has some complex electronic system that not only reduces boost (opens the wastegate) and retards timing.[\quote]

It does. That is kind of the point. The engine is perfectly happy using any octane fuel. And, although you could conceivably adjust the camshaft parameters to eek a horsepower or two out of the 87-octane tune, there would be no point. Regardless, I return to the original point of the thread. Running 87-octane fuel will, in no way, harm the engine. Technology has come a long way since the rudimentary system used in 90's MR-2's.