GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To All Bike Enthusiasts: Thoughts on Ducati Monster?

TosHaNYC

Ready to race!
I must agree with most people above.... Get a small starter bike if you are serious about riding.

I just got an 09 Ninja 250...that has been dropped once... has a ton of mods... for cheap.

Riding is a lot of fun, but its VERY different from driving.
My first time I hit 35mph, I thought I was going at least 50mph.

I had a few close calls....and that is when I said...Thank god this is a 250 and not a 1000cc as my dumbass friend recommended to get (he has one, he is simply scared out of his mind to ride it). Don't get me wrong, a 250 is far from slow.... its faster than most cars on the street...so you still have to watch your throttle.

Anyway, Im still learning... oh and the gas millage is awesome!!! I haven't filled up in weeks lol

donnyboyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG gti 6spd with
After reading your comments its clear that your going to do whatever you want regardless of what other guys with experience are telling you. Ýou should just go get a 1000 and get your first accident over and done with!

ARES MKV

Ready to race!
Get ready to be blasted with "You are going to crash, get yourself a cheap (insert something below 500cc, secondhand, and ridiculously cheap) then move up to whatever you want."

For ever Valentino Rossi there are a million squids. I am not sure if your comment is looking down on those kind of comments or not but the last thing we need on this forum is an RIP thread.

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
All good points, I'll take them into consideration. And to 'donnyboyy' very endearing words, if I did whatever people told me I'd probably never get a bike, among other things.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
You guys think a monster is really that much bike to handle? I mean if you approach it with some sense it's fine, if not, you could die on a smaller machine. Telling everyone to buy a 15-27 hp bike, most of which are made 3/4 scale shouldn't be the automatic response. Get a reasonable mid size bike with reasonable mid size performance and take your time getting comfortable. Those small bikes are more appropriate for your young teenage child to learn on, any adult will tire of it quickly and it may well kill their enthusiasm for riding. I've ridden for almost 30 years if you count mx bikes and have taught quite a few folks to ride at the basic level, along the way I've watched the typical progression the rider goes through. The small learner bikes are of very little value outside of the first few days and in many ways the lower power, braking capability and handling threshold do conspire to make them potentially more dangerous in everyday use. In contrast once they find their legs, the new rider is much better equipped to handle what may come on a bike that can run a 12-13 second quarter, stop and turn well. The only "danger" with the more powerful bike is the rate at which they gather speed, don't go full throttle and that's taken care of. The slow bikes can still get you to steady state speeds that will easily kill you, so unless your fear is that the hair trigger throttle on the bigger bike is gonna get away from you, your safer overall and won't be looking to trade up after a few months. Not advocating 100+hp super sports for everyone but sv650's and the like are perfect for first timers in my view.

donnyboyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG gti 6spd with
For the same reason you don't give a 16 year old a 500 hp car to learn on, you don't get a ducati to learn on. How are you gunna feel if you drop the bike, parts are very expensive! Let's not even talk about getting hurt! I'd buy a cheap dirt bike or something to learn the feel and handling of a motorcycle! You can always sell it when you feel your ready. So many reasons why you should take things slow!! I'd love to slap the shit outta you lol, just kidding but I hope you get the point.

Chris@RT

Banned
For the same reason you don't give a 16 year old a 500 hp car to learn on, you don't get a ducati to learn on.

You don't give a 500hp car to someone who is 16 due to maturity not because of the power.

The OP is 30 sounds mature and it doesn't matter if its a 250 or a 1300 he isn't going to just go ape shit cracking the throttle everywhere, he has learned he isn't invincible.

It isn't about the power it is about the person using it.

Yes there are plenty of older people who do stupid things on motorcycles those same people would do it regardless of the bike or the power of the bike. Just the same as even a younger person with common sense can handle something with more power just fine.

Size and overal power don't really matter, Angel mentioned cracking the throttle a little too much by mistake. That is one of the only real places i see learning and too much power despite control being an issue. There are times when you may just take off a hair funny and grab some more throttle simply as a reaction. This is where a 1000 or even a torquie v-twin like the SV or any ducati could get you in trouble even on a smaller one and a current 130+hp 600 might actually even save your ass having to rev the snot out of it to make power.

Plus you can still get cut off or hit by a car no matter what you are riding.

I crashed a few months after i started riding, would have happened on a 250 or a 1000 (was on an outdated underpowered FZR600) because i simply misread the road for the speed and my current skill level.

It is similar to the constant comments you read about people saying you need to upgrade your brakes if you upgrade your power. True yes but not as much as people would like to pass it off as. When you slam on the brakes your car is makign 0hp. It doesn't matter if you have 500hp or 50hp in the same car it takes the same to slow it down from 100mph and a stock GTI(since we are here) can do 100mph. If you do 150 because of your software now yeah you may find your brakes are not up to the task but that is on YOU to know the limits of what you are driving and not the lack of brakes fault if you had a problem. If you truely needed the better brakes you shouldn't have been doing what you were doing. IF you crash because you were going too fast on a 1000s, chances are unless it was 180mph you would have crashed on a 250 too since judgement would have been at fault not hp.

donnyboyy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 UG gti 6spd with
Let the guy speak for himself! For him to even ask advice on here is a joke to begin with! You said he is 30?? He can't even make a decision for himself he shouldn't be on a bike!

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Let the guy speak for himself! For him to even ask advice on here is a joke to begin with! You said he is 30?? He can't even make a decision for himself he shouldn't be on a bike!

You comments are always quite constructive and I'm sure that our society is a better place with all the contributions that I'm sure you make on a daily basis from your mother's basement. I'm not really sure what you meant by your last comment or if you even read the initial post, but regardless I was simply trying to get a gauge of real reviews of the ducati monster.

To everyone else, thank you very much for the comments and insight, I really do appreciate it.

Chris@RT

Banned

Yes, I'll definitely be taking a course prior to purchasing the bike. I'm in my early thirties so I don't think I'll be too much of an ass

He did already, you were too busy ranting and raving about how he wasn't listening to even read his posts apparently.

He asked peoples thoughts on the bike, he didn't ask if it was good for a beginer, he didn't ask how much a used one was, we all just jumped in and starting giving advice he never asked for. Again had you read what he wrote instead of making assumptions you would understand this.

If he went and asked the dealer some questions would that mean he shouldn't get a bike? If he asks about the oven he wants to buy should he not cook? The entire point of discussion forum is to have discussions, this isn't a bike forum but he is comfortable here and lots of people ride so its fine for him to ask peoples opinions on a specific bike.