GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I want to install a new Head Unit.

Enduring Kaze

So, I'm going to start off with story time. I've got an '07 2.5. When I bought the car, the original premium head unit (the one with the 6 disc changer) had been ripped out and replaced with some bottom barrel Kenwood unit that barely worked. I eventually had to pull the Pioneer head unit of out of my 86 Toyota Pickup and put it in to the car because the Kenwood was so pitiful. I eventually managed to source a premium head unit from a junkyard and installed it into the car.

So, as far as shoving a new head unit into the vehicle, I know how to do that. What I want to do is install an Android Auto compatible head unit so I can just start up my car and have Torque built into my infotainment center without having to pull out my phone, navigate to the app, and do all that redundant stuff every time I turn on the car. I also would appreciate cleaning up the cable situation i've got going on at the moment in my vehicle, because between the Dash Cam, Bluetooth adapter, and charging cable for my phone, all my 12v ports are used at the moment. (I've got an USB extension cable from the back coming up to the front for my phone)

What I'd like to have is a similar setup to the stock system, where the unit can turn on independent of the key, and the unit will stay on until I remove the key. As for speed dependent volume, I can live without that.

The previous head units in the car just cut off when the engine was shut off. I just want to know if there's a way to set up a head unit to work like that, or if I'm asking too much.

Enduring Kaze

I legitimately did not realize that was an option. I did a quick bit of research, and there is an android auto 8.1 Head unit that's designed to slot right into that hole as well.

Claims compatibility, it's cheaper, has a larger screen, and it has a canbus connection. I'll check into it.

I'm only giving up a CD player, but that's literally something I have no use for. I might have put two CDs in my own head unit since I installed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-N...ompatible+android+audio&qid=1569673269&sr=8-6

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
Pioneer AVH 4400/4500 series doesn’t look OEM but integrates well and works great. Just got myself a used set up and have been using it the last month happily. Punched up the stock set up enough that I haven’t bothered with component speakers yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk