GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

06 vs 08

iSaaaack

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking at two different GTI's right now. Both cars look good. One is an 06 with 54,000 miles, and the other is an 08 with 79,000 miles. Both have manual transmissions. I asked the dealer I spoke with on the phone, and he said he thinks the 08 is a TSI, but isn't sure. Which car would be the better pick? Are there any advantages to getting a later model FSI compared to an early model? And if the 08 is a TSI, is the increased mileage worth it? Thanks in advance.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
It's a toss up. You should see them in person and ask about service records. I haven't had any oil consumption with the 09.

iSaaaack

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay sounds good. Any other specific maintenance things to look out for besides the cam follower? If the maintenance records aren't available, is there an easy way to check for damage to the high pressure fuel pump or cam?

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
If 08 is indeed TSI, I would definitely go for that. TSI >FSI in design. There is a reason they switched to it and didn't continue the FSI. However, if both are FSI, I'd choose the 06, as it has lower mileage (provided all other features are the same). As others have said, check for maintenance records. I'd be worth looking at them to see what the exterior/interior conditions are....some people beat their cars all to hell and you don't want a car with a bunch of stupid dings/scratches/tears in the fabric, etc.

iSaaaack

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay thanks for the help everyone. If the maintenance records aren't available, couldn't I just get the dealer to do a warranty replacement of the HPFP, cam follower, and intake cam just to be safe? Or are there other areas of the car that will be damaged as well if this has been neglected?